GAME #17, MONDAY, APRIL 15, 2019, ORIOLES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, April 15, 2019, 07:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Pathetic homestand against two bad teams.  So far they've played three teams that dumped everyone - Seattle, Arizona, Toronto and Baltimore - and have been beaten up.  Someone has to read the team the riot act.  None of this "stay calm and it will come around" stuff.  The time for pampering and telling everyone they can be the next MVP is over.  Betts is a real concern with his pop-ups and sloppy defense. 

SeaBeachFred

I nevr thought I would say this but right now WE ARE A REAL SHITTY TEAM!!!!!!!!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 15, 2019, 02:29:05 PM
Pathetic homestand against two bad teams.  So far they've played three teams that dumped everyone - Seattle, Arizona, Toronto and Baltimore - and have been beaten up.  Someone has to read the team the riot act.  None of this "stay calm and it will come around" stuff.  The time for pampering and telling everyone they can be the next MVP is over.  Betts is a real concern with his pop-ups and sloppy defense.

Betts had better get this shit together real soon because if he thinks he's going to cash in with a big contract when his turn comes, well then he must he hoping for a new era of BOWLING FOR DOLLARS because he isn't going to get one.  They don't pay for one solid year and then one bad one and then repeated.  If he worried about a new contract, well as they say in Russia, TOUGH SHITSKY.  No doubt in my mind that is on his mind but too bad.  You had your chance to sign a lucrative new pact but chose to hold on for a bigger one.  Well get your ass in gear because a 2017 type season will not get you one.  And hey Farrelcora, put the Mook back at leadoff where he belongs  That was your first mistake last off season. IF IT IS NOT BROKE DON'T TRY TO FIX IT.

elktonnick

This team went into this year without the proper attitude.  They played as if every team was going to fall to their feet.  They had the most laid back spring training that  I've witnessed in the five years I have been attending ST.  Cora reinforced this laid back approach with the excuse that they played until November.  Earth to Alex, they had three months to recover.  These are young men. 

It is obvious that Cora is absolutely clueless.  His lineup today was a farce.  It is also quite clear that Alfred E Newman is going to continue this approach.  We will see if playing the Yankees and Rays will shake these guys up.  If not, I foresee a very frustrating spring and summer ahead.

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 15, 2019, 02:29:40 PM

With a very shitty manager.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 15, 2019, 03:01:17 PM
This team went into this year without the proper attitude.  They played as if every team was going to fall to their feet.  They had the most laid back spring training that  I've witnessed in the five years I have been attending ST.  Cora reinforced this laid back approach with the excuse that they played until November.  Earth to Alex, they had three months to recover.  These are young men. 

It is obvious that Cora is absolutely clueless.  His lineup today was a farce.  It is also quite clear that Alfred E Newman is going to continue this approach.  We will see if playing the Yankees and Rays will shake these guys up.  If not, I foresee a very frustrating spring and summer ahead.

Three months to recover Elk???? Man, you're giving them a free pass......ALMOST.  The World Series ended on October 28 and ST began around February 21.  That is almost four months off and as you said in your post more than enough time to recover.  What was worse though was how they went about their chores in ST.  I saw it on my computer how laid back and diffident they looked; hell, you were right there and can probably tell me a treasure trove of things that I couldn't see on the screen, though, truth be told, I don't need any convincing on that score.  Believe it or not, this is similar to the ST Farrell ran in 2014 and I kept going it over and over with my now missing pal Muggah that the team was not ready.  Hell, what is it with Red Sox managers after they win a World Series anyway?  Farrell did this and if you remember so did Francona after 2007 when he allowed himself to accept a trip to Japan to open the season, then a few practice games on return only to start the season again on the road.  Of course he might have had a excuse since that turd Larry Luchino was working behind the scene to run the show. 

Tomorrow and Wednesday they go to Yankee Stadium for a short two game series and I can tell you without a doubt if they enter the Bronx with that what me worry attitude they will get reamed good and proper, and coupled with what appears to be a tough series in Tampa Bay the season could really get away from us before the end of April.  Very very sad.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 15, 2019, 03:20:42 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 15, 2019, 02:29:40 PM

With a very shitty manager.

You have to wonder what has come over Alex Cora my friend.  Last season he seemed to on top of things.  Did he develop a bad case of hubris?  He seems  to have become so sure of himself that he forgot what it took to get his and his team where it ended up in 2018.  Somebody had better warm him fast because the season is fast moving away from him and before long he could be taking theteam down and the fans with him.

Sea Dog 23

I'm way short of a whiz on baseball numbers and projections.  But I read yesterday we need to play .625 baseball to win 95 games at this point.  If that is accurate, we are digging a hole fast.  A lot of the Sox solid prospects are down in AA ball.  With the pitching as is, JH might have to again spend his way out of this mess.

markj

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 15, 2019, 05:42:53 PM
I'm way short of a whiz on baseball numbers and projections.  But I read yesterday we need to play .625 baseball to win 95 games at this point.  If that is accurate, we are digging a hole fast.  A lot of the Sox solid prospects are down in AA ball.  With the pitching as is, JH might have to again spend his way out of this mess.

There are 145 games left. They've won 6, so they need 89 more wins to hit 95. 89/145=.614 (rounded). So they have to play .614 ball from here on out.

Sea Dog 23

markj

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 15, 2019, 08:07:58 PM
Thanks for the correction. 

Didn't mean to be nerdy. Just putting the formula out there.  :o 8)

They were capable of playing above .600 last year, but they're showing no signs at all of being able to do that this season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 15, 2019, 08:40:20 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 15, 2019, 08:07:58 PM
Thanks for the correction. 

Didn't mean to be nerdy. Just putting the formula out there.  :o 8)

They were capable of playing above .600 last year, but they're showing no signs at all of being able to do that this season.

Well Markj, it looks like the lot of us might be crying on each other's shoulders this season and looking for moral support where we can find it.  I never said this season could turn out to be like the last one we had after a WS Title but did hint  there was a possibility of it happening.  Well guess what guys and gals?  It looks like it could be happening.  I get the feeling from teams in all sports that win a title often do not want to pay the price of playing to the hilt the next season because it is too hard and too challenging.  I think of the Eagles in football for instance.  Yet we have teams like the Patriots and Warriors who seem to muster the talent, work and determination to make it happen again and again.  We could us a little of that right now.....nay, we could use a lot of it.

elktonnick

Belichick doesn't baby his starters when they come into camp because they played a longer season than everyone else.   Bill Belichick doesn't try to be liked by all his players. Tom Brady doesn't start training camp three weeks after everyone else. Tom Brady isn't afraid to call out his team mates for sloppy listless play.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 15, 2019, 09:50:33 PM
Belichick doesn't baby his starters when they come into camp because they played a longer season than everyone else.   Bill Belichick doesn't try to be liked by all his players. Tom Brady doesn't start training camp three weeks after everyone else. Tom Brady isn't afraid to call out his team mates for sloppy listless play.

Well Elk, that says it all.  I only wish Cora and his troops are listening.

Bill-806

PATRIOTS DAY ?? How the HE/double/LL do you not win on this day in April ??? ZERO ENERGY & oh yes, the B P has too many retreads, NEEDS REBOOTING !!   thumb_d iono iono iono iono