Terrible end to a terrible season, the offseason can only be better

Started by longgame, October 02, 2023, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Looking at the Phils - Marlins series from last night, as it relates to Boston's search for an OPS person.  There are two names that keep coming up, Fuld of Phila. and Ng of Miami.  Would Sox entertain Fuld?  He is now a disciple of Dombrowski.  That group has put together a really good collection of pitching and clutch hitters -  at a price.

OTOH Kim Ng of Miami has had a couple years to put together some good pitching with enough depth that they were able to do some trading at the deadline (Lozario)  But the hitting has been a slow project.  I think they scored one run in this series. 

The old school baseball people would go for Fuld, former player, although he is steeped in analytics.  But I think Ng could have the inside track because Boston might be looking for an experiment type Ops person.  With all the talking heads in the crowded room, she could get everyone's attention coming from a different point of view.  Also recently with the MF Yankees, which should cause some bile.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 04, 2023, 06:37:01 PM
Twins shut out the Jays.  I didn't hear the reasoning why they pulled Berrios so early.  He did give up a run, but the guy was bringing it, and getting K's.  Duran was throwing up a 101+ heater in the 9th.  Did the Jays score at all in this series?

Game planning based on analytics of course.  They thought they’d be better bringing in fresh arms rather than wait until Berrios wore down.  Really dumb.  They got out managed by themselves.

Sea Dog 23

The D-Backs closed out Brewers in Milwaukee.  During the week Arizona said they would not allow Hazen to speak with Boston and extended his contract.  To add to that protection, Hazen's assistant general manager Amiel Sawdaye, who followed him from Boston to Arizona, also received an extension to remain with the Diamondbacks.

elktonnick

I believe Hazen said he had no interest in the Red Sox job in any case.  Why would he?  I think he is dealing with a more practical ownership there then he would in Boston.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on October 05, 2023, 07:40:50 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 04, 2023, 06:37:01 PM
Twins shut out the Jays.  I didn't hear the reasoning why they pulled Berrios so early.  He did give up a run, but the guy was bringing it, and getting K's.  Duran was throwing up a 101+ heater in the 9th.  Did the Jays score at all in this series?

Game planning based on analytics of course.  They thought they’d be better bringing in fresh arms rather than wait until Berrios wore down.  Really dumb.  They got out managed by themselves.
According to a article I read, it was a pure analytics thing. Pre-determined by the Jay's front office and Manager. They were going after the Rangers' platoon heavy hitting. It didn't work. it's a different reasoning than with Cash yanking Snell against the Dodgers in 2020, but it still fits the analytics blowing it big time mold. It will be talked about.

So, too, will the Jays offensive strategy. That's something they will have to figure out.

Good pitching wins.
Do the first 4 series are over. 8 games played, only one game had both starters not clear the 5th. 6 of the other 7 games were won by starters who had pitched well and did so at least into the 6th inning. 5 Quality Starts. Teams went 5-0. Gray went 5 for a win  and was probably ready to come out. Lopez, also for the twins was the other good start who did not complete 6, but did go 5.2 IP and won.