Main Menu

Who will be CBO?

Started by Sea Dog 23, September 18, 2023, 10:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 22, 2023, 09:45:38 AM
Later news this A.M., that O'Halloran was named "V.P. of Baseball Operations".  then they noted that Raquel Ferreira and Eddie Romero will remain on as assistant GMs.

That seems like a crowded department.  Before you know it, they will bring back Mike Hazen as Chief Ops President, with Cora as Field Manager and un-named "Pres of Baseball Decisions".  Alex  would get the last look on trades and extensions. You can only guess if Kennedy gets the parting shot.

After reading what my friends have written today about the revolting situation the front office finds itself in, I know I'm in good company.  I just wonder when my head is going to explode from all this incompetency from this bunch of clowns.  For God's sake, just show some smarts for a change and pick a real Baseball Ops Director not wedded to the dumpster and get on with getting team out of the gutter once and for all.  It is hard for me to remember another team that has descended from the penthouse to the outhouse as this club has in the last five years.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 22, 2023, 09:45:38 AM
Later news this A.M., that O'Halloran was named "V.P. of Baseball Operations".  then they noted that Raquel Ferreira and Eddie Romero will remain on as assistant GMs.

That seems like a crowded department.  Before you know it, they will bring back Mike Hazen as Chief Ops President, with Cora as Field Manager and un-named "Pres of Baseball Decisions".  Alex  would get the last look on trades and extensions. You can only guess if Kennedy gets the parting shot.
Those other two people have specific departments they are responsible for. I THINK Romero over the international scouting department, or something like that? Maybe something with IFA and/or Draft?
Raquel is in charge of something akin to being a liasson for players in the minors for random incidental things and logistics in addition to whatever other baseball related things she handles.

Sea Dog 23

The flavor of the day ... for CBO ... is Sam Fuld of Philly.  If memory serves, this is the same Fuld that Sox were looking at as field manager before they picked Cora again (2020?).
The way this is shaping up to me (hope I'm way off on this), they are not looking for a guy to make bold moves on his/her own, but for a guy who would have a "me too" decision with other talking heads in the room.  Interesting time line, the Sox are looking hard to sign star pitcher Yamamota from Japan.  Cashman and the Yanks were in Japan on Sept 12 to watch Yamamota pitch a no-hitter.  Henry fired Bloom on Sept 14.  Not sure how that was a cause and effect thing.

According to @BNightengale, Sam Fuld has emerged as one of the leading candidates to replace Chaim in the Red Sox front office.

Fuld was a finalist in the Red Sox managerial search the last time around. Has worked as Dave Dombrowski’s right-hand man and GM with the Phillies.

MongoLikeSox

Was Fuld part of the Red Sox organization during the Dombrowski era?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 25, 2023, 08:14:36 AM
Was Fuld part of the Red Sox organization during the Dombrowski era?

I don't think so.  After he retired as a player, he was hired by Philly in 2017 as a "player information director" under manager Gabe Kapler.  Andy McPhail was the CBO at that time I believe.  Fuld does have some good smarts, an Econ major at Stanford.

Sea Dog 23

If I listen to all the noise from the writers, it looks like Fuld or Ng (Miami) now have the odds to get the Sox job.  Antonetti is staying in Cleve. and Nightengale said Hazen will be blocked by the DBacks from talking to Boston.  Sam Fuld was appointed GM at Philly in 2020.  The following is a tweet X from MLB with Fuld talking about his GM job and reflecting his 2020 interview with Boston for field manager.  He seems hip deep in analytics and gives Phila. a "translator of information" for their front office.

https://x.com/tylermilliken_/status/1706383426993955059?s=20

elktonnick

I think Mike Hazen made it clear he has no interest in returning to Boston.Why should he.  Looks like he has free rein in Arizona. Given JH's track record Boston will have to over pay to get a quality candidate..

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 25, 2023, 06:33:36 AM
The flavor of the day ... for CBO ... is Sam Fuld of Philly.  If memory serves, this is the same Fuld that Sox were looking at as field manager before they picked Cora again (2020?).
The way this is shaping up to me (hope I'm way off on this), they are not looking for a guy to make bold moves on his/her own, but for a guy who would have a "me too" decision with other talking heads in the room.  Interesting time line, the Sox are looking hard to sign star pitcher Yamamota from Japan.  Cashman and the Yanks were in Japan on Sept 12 to watch Yamamota pitch a no-hitter.  Henry fired Bloom on Sept 14.  Not sure how that was a cause and effect thing.

According to @BNightengale, Sam Fuld has emerged as one of the leading candidates to replace Chaim in the Red Sox front office.

Fuld was a finalist in the Red Sox managerial search the last time around. Has worked as Dave Dombrowski’s right-hand man and GM with the Phillies.

Fuld should tell Henry and the rest to shove it unless he is given the power to make  the key decisions and keep the rest of the incompetent staff at arms length.  Remember Fuld works for Dombrowski so I think he got the same advice from him on this situation.  Fuld would be a very good choice but not if he is going to have his hands tied and dumpster diving continues  to be part of the  order of the day.  OTOH, I'm not so sure Pruney wants a guy who was learning at the wing of DD who got the shaft from the owner after helping the team win three AL Easts and one big World Series.

elktonnick

I think hiring Fuld would be a tacit admission by Henry that firing Dombrowski was a huge mistake. 
Fuld would be nuts to accept a job from Henry without iron clad guarantees.

elktonnick

I think it is obvious to all who are regular readings of ththeir adviiceis forum that problems with the Red Sox front office go well beyond Bloom and Henry's tight budget.  The entire front office bureaucracy is suspect in my view.

My take is that Henry fired Dombrowski not because he spent too.much or depleted the farm but because the FO bureaucracy was pissed that DD cut them out or ignored their advice.  Remember there were credible reports that Henry wanted to fire DD in 2018 because staff complained about his ignoring their consensus decisionmaking. 

Bloom was hired because he was a team player.  Well clearly that did not work out.  So we all heard grumbles for the past 18 months that unnamed FO staffers questioned some of Bloom moves.  Except Bloom.purportedly made consensus decisions.

Obviously if Henry really wants to turn it around he must get rid of more than just Bloom.  Frankly everyone involved in pitching from development to training to philosophy, approach and coaching needs to be elsewhere. 

If it were my team there are at least a half dozen FO personnel and all of the coaches and Cora need to move on.

MongoLikeSox

I think the only reason they got Dombrowski in the first place was because he had worked for Henry in Florida. Dombrowski got the keys and autonomy and it worked. Well, mostly worked. Letting the Betts situation get out of hand by going to team's first Arbitration hearing in the Henry era was a bad move that is still being felt. This generation's Carlton Fisk blunder. Henry let it happen because he gave him autonomy. Can't break that promise so early on, but damn! This one should have been avoided.

I've read some reports here and there that painted Ng as more of a problem than success in Florida. Tough to judge with that situation, though. Various ownerships' regimes killed South Florida baseball.

markj

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 28, 2023, 08:16:17 AM
I think the only reason they got Dombrowski in the first place was because he had worked for Henry in Florida. Dombrowski got the keys and autonomy and it worked. Well, mostly worked. Letting the Betts situation get out of hand by going to team's first Arbitration hearing in the Henry era was a bad move that is still being felt. This generation's Carlton Fisk blunder. Henry let it happen because he gave him autonomy. Can't break that promise so early on, but damn! This one should have been avoided.

I've read some reports here and there that painted Ng as more of a problem than success in Florida. Tough to judge with that situation, though. Various ownerships' regimes killed South Florida baseball.

The other thing to keep in mind with reports about Ng is that she's the first female GM in a field dominated by white men. There's going to be a bias there. She may indeed have some shortcomings, but the possibility of gender/racial bias has to be considered when reading negative press about her.

elktonnick

Sam Kennedy said that Red Sox ownership has not decided exactly what authority its new chief baseball official will have.
This is interesting and seems to indicate confusion at the top.  I suspect they will not decide the level of authority until they have narrowed the candidates down to one or two.  I suppose the successful candidate may be in an ideal position to negotiate significant more authority than Bloom or DD had.  I also suspect that Henry touched base with Theo Epstein who obviously made it clear that he wasn't interested.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on September 28, 2023, 09:03:16 AM
The other thing to keep in mind with reports about Ng is that she's the first female GM in a field dominated by white men. There's going to be a bias there. She may indeed have some shortcomings, but the possibility of gender/racial bias has to be considered when reading negative press about her.
Good point, though I would really hope that wasn't the case in most of it.

Quote from: elktonnick on September 28, 2023, 05:25:48 PM
Sam Kennedy said that Red Sox ownership has not decided exactly what authority its new chief baseball official will have.
This is interesting and seems to indicate confusion at the top.  I suspect they will not decide the level of authority until they have narrowed the candidates down to one or two.  I suppose the successful candidate may be in an ideal position to negotiate significant more authority than Bloom or DD had.  I also suspect that Henry touched base with Theo Epstein who obviously made it clear that he wasn't interested.
It's a valid question. They are not the most eager to work group ownership group these days.

DD had as much authority as anyone has had in some time for FSG. They restricted him to not doing multi-year threshold busting ($$$) and that was about it. They should have lopped of his legs before pissing Betts off, but that's history.

Sea Dog 23

Jon Heyman has three more names he thinks Sox are targeting.  All West coast  Josh Byrnes, Brandon Gomes and David First (Oakland A's).  The first two guys are in the Dodgers front office.  Gomes has been talked about. 

Byrnes has a history with the Sox.  Grew up as a Washington, D.C. area guy where he went to school.  Was recruited to Boston by Epstein in 2003, where he spent two years.  senior vice president of baseball operations.  Recruited to LA by Friedman in 2014.

However the Sox have yet to interview any candidates.  A story is out that Bloom was the only guy the Sox interviewed in 2020.  Unbelievable.