Main Menu

Bloom firef

Started by elktonnick, September 14, 2023, 11:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on September 14, 2023, 11:36:44 AM
Hooray

I'm glad they pushed the button at this time.  There is no way he should have any input in trading our farm, selecting another free-agent to play in Boston, or even any DFA's for that matter.

MongoLikeSox

Woooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longgame

Ding dong the witch is dead. Should have done this after he didn't do anything last year.

Sea Dog 23

Some early pickings besides Theo and Cora (Buster Olney's claim)
From Peter Abraham

A few potential Red Sox candidates off the top of my head: James Click (Toronto), Sig Mejdal (Orioles), Sam Fuld (Phillies), James Harris (Guardians), Ben Sestanovich (Braves).

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 14, 2023, 12:16:32 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on September 14, 2023, 11:36:44 AM
Hooray

I'm glad they pushed the button at this time.  There is no way he should have any input in trading our farm, selecting another free-agent to play in Boston, or even any DFA's for that matter.

Couldn't agree with you any more than I am right now Sea Dog.  I wouldn't have trusted him not to screw up things in the off season trying to regain some semblance of respect that he didn't deserve or never earned.  Remember, this is the guy who traded to get Jackie Bradley Jr. back after he his 163 for Milwaukee in 2021,  the lowest batting average in baseball that year.  He also handled the nefarious Mookie trade when he got one decent player, Alex Verdugo, and two duds like Connor Wong, a mediocrity personified and that piss poor excuse for a ballplayer in Jeter Downs who had failed with the Reds, the Dodgers, then us and recently with the Nationals.  We simply can't do worse than getting someone who has to be better than Bloom.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 14, 2023, 01:03:41 PM
Some early pickings besides Theo and Cora (Buster Olney's claim)
From Peter Abraham

A few potential Red Sox candidates off the top of my head: James Click (Toronto), Sig Mejdal (Orioles), Sam Fuld (Phillies), James Harris (Guardians), Ben Sestanovich (Braves).

We cannot make another mistake with our selection of the guy who is next on the list to become the Red Sox Baseball Ops Director, and not to tie his hands by insisting that Alex Cora is part of the package.  Cora has earned his way out of Boston too with his stupid batting orders, his miserable handling of the pitching staff, his brainless playing of personal favorites over better players, and the fact that the guy is a proven rotten filthy cheater.  But with Bloom's departure and a nice win over the Yankees today in the first of a twin bill in which Cora actually made a good decision to let Tanner finish his six innings, perhaps we should be lucky that we got two good things going for us today.  But a DH sweep would be even better.

MongoLikeSox

I swear if the new guy trades talent for one-dimensional players.... ugh!

Today we breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy watching a bit of the future.

OB and Youk talked about the value of having baseball guys in place to coach these kids. I know it's pure speculation on their part, but it would be nice if they dipped back into that world a lot more then the tech era. This is coming from someone who made his living writing database, data mining and reporting code and thought it was fun. Data is a tool. 

Sea Dog 23

According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network,  he is following two candidates for Ops of the Red Sox that surfaced today.  Chris Antonetti of Cleveland and  David Frost of the A's.  Antonitti has been with Cleveland since 1999 in several capacities.

In 2022, Antonetti was named MLB Executive of the Year after the Guardians won 92 games, despite having the youngest roster in baseball. He was also honored as the 2022 Executive of the Year by Sporting News.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 14, 2023, 07:40:10 PM
According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network,  he is following two candidates for Ops of the Red Sox that surfaced today.  Chris Antonetti of Cleveland and  David Frost of the A's.  Antonitti has been with Cleveland since 1999 in several capacities.

In 2022, Antonetti was named MLB Executive of the Year after the Guardians won 92 games, despite having the youngest roster in baseball. He was also honored as the 2022 Executive of the Year by Sporting News.

Antonetti would be a very good pick for the Red Sox.  Because of Cleveland's paucity in funds he has had to depend on good scouting, player development, and an emphasis on pitching.  With the Red Sox he would have the funds and backing to be able to go after prize free agents and build the kind of team  that could compete year after year as a potential playoff team---WHICH THE RED SOX SHOULD BE EVERY YEAR.  However, he must not have his hands tied if he is chosen; he must be allowed to pick his own manager and that means Cora has to go to complete the dumping of the two schmucks that have driven our team into the pits since 2019. 

MongoLikeSox

Do either of these guys have experience running an Baseball Operations unit?

I'd prefer a guy with experience of having an actual large payroll, complete with veterans to manage instead of theoretical exercises.

elktonnick

I have long held the belief that Henry hired Bloom to be fired.  His purpose was to have a convenient scapegoat to bear the brunt of the criticism of cutting payroll.  Henry knew that after winning in 2018 he could get away with a few years of not winning

Henry's main goal is expanding FSG
  He needed more capital to do that.  He wanted to reduce the budget  and long term financial obligations to make it attractive to new investors. 
He recently sold 10 percent of FSG for 650 million.  Why?  I can assure it was not to spend it on new pitching.

Henry tried to sell Liverpool but could not get what he thought it was worth.  He then tried to attract Arab money but hasn't.  His European Super Soccer league failed.  All of these efforts show where Henry's real interests are.  He only cares about the Red Sox as an asset to further his ultimate goal of an expanded FSG. 
What has Henry done in the last few months.  He has acquired a new golf venture and a new Sports TV network.  He tried to buy an NFL franchise but couldn't and has the announced intention of acquiring an NBA team
As Steve Buckley kind of suggested yesterday in his article Henry is out of touch with Boston Fandom.  I suggest that Henry can not name half the players on the Red Sox 40 man roster. The same with Liverpool and the Penguins.  Day to day team operations are not on his radar screen.
Henry has a long term plan.  It is to own a major sports franchise in every major sport.  If he has to starve the Red Sox of capital to do it so be it.  At the same time he does not want to hurt the long term value of the team.  So it is a balancing act..
I now believe he will seek someone who will built up fan interest and produce a winner. Once that is done he will fire that person and the cycle will repeat.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 15, 2023, 06:36:48 AM
I have long held the belief that Henry hired Bloom to be fired.  His purpose was to have a convenient scapegoat to bear the brunt of the criticism of cutting payroll.  Henry knew that after winning in 2018 he could get away with a few years of not winning

Henry's main goal is expanding FSG
  He needed more capital to do that.  He wanted to reduce the budget  and long term financial obligations to make it attractive to new investors. 
He recently sold 10 percent of FSG for 650 million.  Why?  I can assure it was not to spend it on new pitching.

Henry tried to sell Liverpool but could not get what he thought it was worth.  He then tried to attract Arab money but hasn't.  His European Super Soccer league failed.  All of these efforts show where Henry's real interests are.  He only cares about the Red Sox as an asset to further his ultimate goal of an expanded FSG. 
What has Henry done in the last few months.  He has acquired a new golf venture and a new Sports TV network.  He tried to buy an NFL franchise but couldn't and has the announced intention of acquiring an NBA team
As Steve Buckley kind of suggested yesterday in his article Henry is out of touch with Boston Fandom.  I suggest that Henry can not name half the players on the Red Sox 40 man roster. The same with Liverpool and the Penguins.  Day to day team operations are not on his radar screen.
Henry has a long term plan.  It is to own a major sports franchise in every major sport.  If he has to starve the Red Sox of capital to do it so be it.  At the same time he does not want to hurt the long term value of the team.  So it is a balancing act..
I now believe he will seek someone who will built up fan interest and produce a winner. Once that is done he will fire that person and the cycle will repeat.

I don't disagree with you very often Elk and this is certainly NOT one of those rare instances when I do.  I think you are spot on with John Henry.  Piss poor people skills that he has, he has angered Red Sox fandom so a balancing act had better be a thrust toward getting into a World Series within three more years, four at the most.  Someone tell him that with all the so-called top prospects we have ( and we do have a good half-dozen who could be the next wave if tutored right with the right coaches instead of the pack of losers we currently have), we don't any real good pitching prospects that can make a team a powerhouse so he had better listen to the guys he hired and hope they are smarter personnel wise than he is.  Then he has to spend, spend and spend some more to get the people needed so we see our guys on top of the division instead of smelling butts from below.

elktonnick

Fred Bloom was vastly over rated.  He so called farm improvements include nothing, nada and zilch in pitching.

elktonnick

I wanted to double check but none of the current Sox prospects currently playing with the big club are products of Bloom's efforts