GAME #33 - THURSDAY, MAY 4, 2023 - TORONTO BLUE JAYS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, May 04, 2023, 09:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

I thought for sure that someone would have taken Brasier deep last night and forced Cora to activate the pen again. Glad it didn't happen.

Kike actually made a couple of good plays. One perhaps ill-advised, but we're talking about a fast running down the bases that he doesn't make if he misses.

Quote from: longgame on May 04, 2023, 04:01:06 PM
I'm wondering what will happen when Story and Duvall come back.  Clearly Story needs to be at SS.  They have such a defensive deficit there and he would add some more pop to the lineup.  Duran is looking like he could Wally Pipp Duvall.  They'd then need to move Duvall to DH and then that means Turner would to have to play 1B, removing Casas from the equation.  It gets more interesting in the IF since they seem to love Hernandez like he's Brasier's brother or something.  He's the weakest link on this team behind Casas.  These are good problems to have, but the pitching will be our Achilles Heel. 
I was wondering the same things. We'll also know about Mondesi's return strategy soon, too. In Mid April, they were saying 6-8 weeks on Duvall. I think Chang is due back mid-late June, too. Last I read, Story was an August hopeful. That gives Duran and Casas at least 45 days to prove themselves. The first odd man out might well be Arroyo, which stinks. Especially is they continue push that no-defense Valdez kid on us for more Bloom PR control. It is going to get interesting.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 05, 2023, 07:59:30 AM
I thought for sure that someone would have taken Brasier deep last night and forced Cora to activate the pen again. Glad it didn't happen.

Kike actually made a couple of good plays. One perhaps ill-advised, but we're talking about a fast running down the bases that he doesn't make if he misses.

Quote from: longgame on May 04, 2023, 04:01:06 PM
I'm wondering what will happen when Story and Duvall come back.  Clearly Story needs to be at SS.  They have such a defensive deficit there and he would add some more pop to the lineup.  Duran is looking like he could Wally Pipp Duvall.  They'd then need to move Duvall to DH and then that means Turner would to have to play 1B, removing Casas from the equation.  It gets more interesting in the IF since they seem to love Hernandez like he's Brasier's brother or something.  He's the weakest link on this team behind Casas.  These are good problems to have, but the pitching will be our Achilles Heel. 
I was wondering the same things. We'll also know about Mondesi's return strategy soon, too. In Mid April, they were saying 6-8 weeks on Duvall. I think Chang is due back mid-late June, too. Last I read, Story was an August hopeful. That gives Duran and Casas at least 45 days to prove themselves. The first odd man out might well be Arroyo, which stinks. Especially is they continue push that no-defense Valdez kid on us for more Bloom PR control. It is going to get interesting.

Gone are the days of "run prevention".  It's back to the 70s with power and scoring.  Damn the pitching and defense! 

I feel bad for Arroyo, reminds me of Jed Lowrie although I saw an interview with him once and really didn't like him.  But both are solid players that get hampered by injury.  Arroyo is just a total gamer and leaves it all out there but sometimes leaves bits of him behind, but when he's going good he's an exciting player. 

I think you're right on the time frame.  I love seeing Casas doing better at the plate the last few nights and Duran is looking so good right now it's hard to imagine he's the same guy we saw last year on both sides of the ball.