Verdugo is a GG Finalist

Started by MongoLikeSox, October 19, 2023, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

It probably comes as no surprise here, but Alex Verdugo got a Gold Glove Finalist nod for Right Field. I'm not sure he has much of a chance to win it, but being nominated is nice for him and for the 'Sox. Tucker(Houston) and Garcia(Texas) are the other two finalist. Tucker won it last season.

Defense does matter. Some interesting results came up when I was looking a positional Total WAR and OPS rankings amongst all of MLB. The Sox were 9th on TWAR and 20th in OPS for RF'ers.  Verdugo finished slightly above average in OPS across MLB, fwiw. RF is a hot position. (Judge, Betts, Acuna, Garcia, Tucker, Tatis)

longgame

He probably gets some extra consideration for playing in that vast and strangely shaped RF, he seemed to improve, he just needs to grow up.

Sea Dog 23

I think one of Verdugo or Duran will be traded in the next few months.  There are a number of left handed bats in the OF including Yoshida and Abreu.  And they seem to value Abreu above the former two the way I am looking at it.  Raphaela is the only RH bat in the OF.

Down the road, Roman Anthony, another lefty bat, arrives late 2025, to play somewhere in the OF, or get traded for a nice return.

MongoLikeSox

He's a great complimentary player. I won't suggest that he's a role player. That label I reserve for the likes of Refsnyder. Verdugo is a very good fielder who can swing a league-average bat in his worst offensive season. He was the closest thing we had to a defensive weapon all year.

That said, I doubt trading a walk-year of Verdugo is going to return a huge amount. The biggest reward opportunity was lost at the past trade deadline. We MIGHT be able to get a decent BP arm or maybe a team's solid, but second choice 2B for a bridge year to Yorke(or whomever ends up at 2B). Either will do.

Verdugo had his worst offensive season during a bad personal year (loss of family, family illness) and really bad year dealing with the boss and maybe, as a result, team mates. All's I hear on that front is speculative, but I didn't look for that information either. That said, his bat was still slightly better than average. There is a lot to like. A little more maturity might come from this rough past season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 20, 2023, 11:06:50 AM
He's a great complimentary player. I won't suggest that he's a role player. That label I reserve for the likes of Refsnyder. Verdugo is a very good fielder who can swing a league-average bat in his worst offensive season. He was the closest thing we had to a defensive weapon all year.

That said, I doubt trading a walk-year of Verdugo is going to return a huge amount. The biggest reward opportunity was lost at the past trade deadline. We MIGHT be able to get a decent BP arm or maybe a team's solid, but second choice 2B for a bridge year to Yorke(or whomever ends up at 2B). Either will do.

Verdugo had his worst offensive season during a bad personal year (loss of family, family illness) and really bad year dealing with the boss and maybe, as a result, team mates. All's I hear on that front is speculative, but I didn't look for that information either. That said, his bat was still slightly better than average. There is a lot to like. A little more maturity might come from this rough past season.

He's not one of Cora's favorites or pets; therefore he is as goo as gone.   Too bad Cora isn't talking the plank too because for whatever reason the guy hasn' t been worth a damn as our manager since he put his team through that mickey mouse Spring Training in 2019, not to mention that the guys has favorites and plays them come what may.  Most likely as some have said he can do that because Prune Face loves the cheater and he is a wastrel is so many ways like his boss.

MongoLikeSox

No real surprise that Garcia won the GG for RF, beating out our only finalist. Congrats to Verdugo for getting the nomination, though.

Some interesting winners. Lots of young players including some rookies and second year players. Congratulations to them and their organizations for bringing along young two-way talent.

These ain't our Daddy's GG winners for life no more. I'm glad we see the opposite of GG when we face Kwan in Cleveland.

Oh, an ex-Sox won the utility player award for the AL. Mauricio Dubon. Part of that bad Thornburg trade way back when.

elktonnick

I am a little disappointed in Breslow because of this Verdugo trade.  I do not think he got all he could for him. Secondly, I thought Breslow was going to stand up to Cora by not trading Verdugo.  I guess I was right after all when I said Verdugo was good as gone because Cora wanted him gone. Looks like Cora is still calling the shots.
The only thing that this whole Verdugo saga demonstrates is that the Mookie deal was an unmitigated disaster.  But we knew that 4 years ago.

longgame

We traded Mookie for 3 minor league pitchers.

Too bad for Verdugo.  But his immaturity caught up with him.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on December 06, 2023, 07:24:13 AM
I am a little disappointed in Breslow because of this Verdugo trade.  I do not think he got all he could for him. Secondly, I thought Breslow was going to stand up to Cora by not trading Verdugo.  I guess I was right after all when I said Verdugo was good as gone because Cora wanted him gone. Looks like Cora is still calling the shots.
The only thing that this whole Verdugo saga demonstrates is that the Mookie deal was an unmitigated disaster.  But we knew that 4 years ago.

Even unmitigated disaster could now be classified as an understatement.  Remember Jeter Downs????  This was supposed to be a big long range boon for us and now we see that he has turned out to be a total turd going from one team to another. As for Wong, are you serious?  The guy makes mediocrity looks good because this guy cannot hit, his throwing is average at best and he doesn't call that good of a game.  Now we have lost Verdugo for what appears to be a trio of very average p rospects, two of them reputed to be long shots.  That trade we made for Betts will stick in the craw of all RedSox fans for years to come while Prune Face barely remembers it as he hosts his cronies on his yacht in between running up to his upper cabin room to count to see if anyone has s tolen any of his money.

Sea Dog 23

Hold on to your hats, my friends. After trading for Verdugo, it looks like the Yanks are completing a deal with the Pads for one year of Soto and Grisham in exchange for some of their prospects.  How in the world do managers spines turn to jelly when Cashman comes calling?

Sea Dog 23

Sox trade two pitchers to Cardinals for OF Tyler O'Neal.  The pitchers are Robertson and Santos.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 08, 2023, 06:25:34 PM
Sox trade two pitchers to Cardinals for OF Tyler O'Neal.  The pitchers are Robertson and Santos.

Funny, I just posted this on another thread.