Terrible end to a terrible season, the offseason can only be better

Started by longgame, October 02, 2023, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

That's what I'm hoping anyhow.  This season turned from farce to tragedy yesterday with the loss of a beloved player in Wakefield.  What a downer to the end of a downer of a season.  I can't take away too many positives although the emergence of Duran and Casas are highlights.  Bello has promise.  Abreu and Rafaela have some great raw talent.  That's about it.

Where do they go?  Who makes decisions now until they have a President of Baseball Ops?  How much of a housecleaning can we expect?  They should be making a list today of the players they want to get and who they want to move.  They have Devers and Yoshida locked in and both are defensive liabilities.  Will they prioritize defense in terms of talent and coaching?

So many gaps, including in leadership, and the clock is running.

MongoLikeSox

Yeah, it was a horrible way to bring on the last day of another bad season. RIP

sigh

Sea Dog 23

A press conference today with Cora and Kennedy.  Blah, Blah, Blah, as you would expect.

Cora:  Yeah, we need pitching, but we also need defense.

Kennedy:  (on the CBO president)  we have no qualifications for the person we are looking for.  (Huh,  I can imagine that the wheels are turning)   iono

longgame

I heard today something along the lines of we don't know what the role is and we may hire multiple people.  Maybe they'll have VP for every position or something.  All I know is there were too many cooks, they reshuffled some of them and want to add more to the mix.  What a mess.  They need a baseball guy running the show. Period.  Not more "ops" guys all weighing in on analytics.  Team management by committee is a recipe for disaster.

elktonnick

Henry is disinterested in the Red Sox.  He is only interested in expanding his FSG Empire.  He has left day to day operations in the hands of a collective.  This collective despised Dave Dombrowski and they got rid of him. It has been down hill since.
Does anyone really expect these guys to change?

MongoLikeSox

I read the last couple of posts and that song from a Neil Young song came to mind again. "Thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie."

From MLB.com Red Sox page. Kennedy -
“I want to make sure everyone understands that this is going to be a much different process than the last time we had a change of leadership. And what I mean by that is we plan to take our time, plan to be very deliberate. We're going to have internal candidates. We're going to have external candidates. We're going to have a consistent, robust process that hopefully leads us to the right person or people.”

Deliberate and robust in one blurb notwithstanding, the whole "person or people" bit was too scary a thought. That's when it hit me. Kennedy thought he was about to be a partner to Dombrowski for that stretch, but was told just before going to the airport to pick DD up that it was going to be DD's show. I suspect Kennedy might have been dreaming of what a co-OPS position would have been like.

Then also to hit me was Bloom's Deliberate nature. Just how much of that trait was already, and remains, in place right now? Chilling to even think about.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 03, 2023, 08:27:06 AM
I heard today something along the lines of we don't know what the role is and we may hire multiple people.  Maybe they'll have VP for every position or something.  All I know is there were too many cooks, they reshuffled some of them and want to add more to the mix.  What a mess.  They need a baseball guy running the show. Period.  Not more "ops" guys all weighing in on analytics.  Team management by committee is a recipe for disaster.

That was the recipe this year and already it appears that the powers-that-be in the Red Sox organization hasn't learned a damn thing from the disaster they wrought.

Sea Dog 23

The strong AL East!  All the time I thought the Sox played big time competition.  Tampa folded in their game against Rangers.  4-1.  And the Rays resembled the Sox on defense with four errors, and looked awful in front one of the fewest fans turnout in playoff history.  The Jays also succumbed to Twins 3-1.  Surely the O's will have more clout than those clowns.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 04, 2023, 06:36:50 AM
The strong AL East!  All the time I thought the Sox played big time competition.  Tampa folded in their game against Rangers.  4-1.  And the Rays resembled the Sox on defense with four errors, and looked awful in front one of the fewest fans turnout in playoff history.  The Jays also succumbed to Twins 3-1.  Surely the O's will have more clout than those clowns.
I saw a few innings of the Twins game and the entire Phillies game. I missed the Rays game. I just now looked at the numbers. 19,704 for a playoff game is not just a joke, but a sign. That sign is do not Invest in the St Petersburg area. To the Rays' owners, do not spend $700M on a 30,000 seat stadium. County and City each will pony up $300M, but the land is to be leased by the county to the city and sublet to the Rays. Oh, and the Rays are responsible for construction over-runs. It's a cornerstone piece in the $6B renovation of the bad side of town called the Historic Gas Light District.

Tampa voted it down. No idea who else voted it down. Why they latch on to some of these low support towns ins beyond me. I know the big picture means no moving makes the other low-$$ towns look stable, but this is absurd.

On the opposite side of the world, the Twins had a huge and LOUD crowd. Almost seemed surreal to hear that place rock each time the Twins did something good.

longgame

Happy to see the Twins finally win a playoff game. I wouldn’t mind at all to see the Jays and Rays be gone today.

Mongo, one of the Canes owners wants to bring MLB to NC.  I still think a team here would struggle on those hot summer nights playing a bad team.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on October 04, 2023, 07:35:27 AM
Happy to see the Twins finally win a playoff game. I wouldn’t mind at all to see the Jays and Rays be gone today.

Mongo, one of the Canes owners wants to bring MLB to NC.  I still think a team here would struggle on those hot summer nights playing a bad team.
I agree. I don't think Atlanta would want a team here as it's part of their territory. That aside, we've done well with the Hurricanes drawing 18k per night, albeit during a good stretch of seasons. 41 home games.

Hot nights, yes, but it's doable. Atlanta pulls it off in outdoor stadiums at temps on par with ours. Going to Bulls and Mud Cats games was never an issue from a fan's perspective. Playing in this weather isn't so horrible. It would have been for us out of shape Sr Leaguers if it was every day for the entire Summer. We even played Sr ball throughout the Summer, though the July and August games were reduced to maybe half of what we played in April, May and June. That was only 22-24 games per year(IIRC) games per year, though. Gatorade and a week of day jobs gave me plenty of time to recoup. Oh to be 40 again. (sigh)

Sea Dog 23

The Rays are done, from appearances.  Eflin and his $13 mil couldn't withstand the Rangers big bats.  Rays were sloppy, Margot's misplay in center,  RF seemed out of position on a single, Mead at 2B with a muff, and their catcher again can't handle the ball.  And for a club that started 13-0, I think they lost their last seven.  Meanwhile old friend Nathan is pitching his best game since a return from injury.

The fat lady hasn't sung, but these guys look headed to Baltimore.

elktonnick

Eovaldi shut down the Rays.  Wish we had pitchers like him, oh!!!!!

longgame

Twins up 2-0 in the 7th too.  Happy to see the Rays go.  Don’t care so much for Toronto.

Sea Dog 23

Twins shut out the Jays.  I didn't hear the reasoning why they pulled Berrios so early.  He did give up a run, but the guy was bringing it, and getting K's.  Duran was throwing up a 101+ heater in the 9th.  Did the Jays score at all in this series?