Main Menu

Bloom firef

Started by elktonnick, September 14, 2023, 11:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

The writer Jerrod Carrabis has been getting some good copy lately.  He thought Bloom was gone a week ago.  Carrabis was over with some Sox people, and he asked several people if Bloom would still be here by November.  There was total silence in the room.

Carrabis follow up this week, stating that a problem arose early on,  Bloom was not respected in the league by other Ops officers and by players' agents.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on September 15, 2023, 01:42:28 PM
I wanted to double check but none of the current Sox prospects currently playing with the big club are products of Bloom's efforts

The only player that is listed a rated prospect and playing would be Abreu, but he started in the Houston organization.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on September 15, 2023, 01:42:28 PM
I wanted to double check but none of the current Sox prospects currently playing with the big club are products of Bloom's efforts
Few despise Bloom like I despise Bloom, but I'm trying to be nice for once.

If you mean only draftees, Drohan was the first Bloom era pick to make it to AAA. It was too soon. I think Guerrero was the second.

A few trade acquisitions type prospects got to Boston. (Seadog beat me to it) Abreu is the big one this year, though technically Wong is a Rookie this year. The other two bloom acquisition prospects this year were Valdez and Hamilton. I'm trying to be nice, but Hamilton and Valdez were kind of political and kind of not. It's a shame it cost Fitzgerald a chance when he deserved it before getting hurt. He never did rebound from an Oblique(IIRC) injury and went downhill fast when he got back to the team. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on September 15, 2023, 06:36:48 AM
I have long held the belief that Henry hired Bloom to be fired.  His purpose was to have a convenient scapegoat to bear the brunt of the criticism of cutting payroll.  Henry knew that after winning in 2018 he could get away with a few years of not winning

Henry's main goal is expanding FSG
  He needed more capital to do that.  He wanted to reduce the budget  and long term financial obligations to make it attractive to new investors. 
He recently sold 10 percent of FSG for 650 million.  Why?  I can assure it was not to spend it on new pitching.

Henry tried to sell Liverpool but could not get what he thought it was worth.  He then tried to attract Arab money but hasn't.  His European Super Soccer league failed.  All of these efforts show where Henry's real interests are.  He only cares about the Red Sox as an asset to further his ultimate goal of an expanded FSG. 
What has Henry done in the last few months.  He has acquired a new golf venture and a new Sports TV network.  He tried to buy an NFL franchise but couldn't and has the announced intention of acquiring an NBA team
As Steve Buckley kind of suggested yesterday in his article Henry is out of touch with Boston Fandom.  I suggest that Henry can not name half the players on the Red Sox 40 man roster. The same with Liverpool and the Penguins.  Day to day team operations are not on his radar screen.
Henry has a long term plan.  It is to own a major sports franchise in every major sport.  If he has to starve the Red Sox of capital to do it so be it.  At the same time he does not want to hurt the long term value of the team.  So it is a balancing act..
I now believe he will seek someone who will built up fan interest and produce a winner. Once that is done he will fire that person and the cycle will repeat.

elk, there is said to be an article in the Athletic, I have not read it, that the Sox were in talks to trade Mookie to the Dodgers in 2019.  That was six months before Bloom was signed to S0x OPs.   Of course he was traded in 2020.  If that is true, Bloom was probably told that was what MGT wanted him to get involved in.