Chris Mazza (R)

Lineups Pending

Blue Jays

Hyun Jin Ryu (L)

Lineup Pending

Gametime Temp: 92°F
Chance of Precip: 4%

longgame

At the serious risk of inciting a conversation we're going to have to shut down, the Sox game may not be played tonight due to the players considering sitting it out as a protest against police brutality. 

All I'll say is this.  This year is bad enough.  Just play ball.

Please let's keep this to a low roar, I'm sure members have differing opinions about the reasons behind this that we don't want to get into.

Sea Dog 23

Well, my opinion, it is ironic that the hoops players found this time to protest,  but there were zip, zero, nada complaints
about child labor and human rights abuses in Asia the last few years.  Many cases where their own sneakers were made.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 27, 2020, 01:23:11 PM
Well, my opinion, it is ironic that the hoops players found this time to protest,  but there were zip, zero, nada complaints
about child labor and human rights abuses in Asia the last few years.  Many cases where their own sneakers were made.

Our leader markj dislikes politics on this board and has taken me to task a couple of times for mouthing stuff, but you know what?  I think he might approve of what you just wrote.  Yea, where were these basketeers complaining about how children was being forced to labor for low wages and have their human rights abused while Lebron was gleefully wearing their sneakers along with his other cohorts on my Lakers and other teams.  Speak up on that Lebron and the rest of your crew.

longgame

So a meeting around 4:00pm Eastern. As
@PeteAbe
and others have reported, #Redsox are considering not playing as well.

#Bluejays usually do a couple of Zoom media availabilities before every game that we’re made aware of by this time, and we haven’t heard anything yet today.

Bill-806

B I N G O on all of the above, SPORTS as we have known them is on the verge of "going the way of the DINOSAUR'S"   !!!!!!!  What a mess !!!! sigh sigh sigh sigh iono iono iono iono thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d

elktonnick

It would have been more meaningful and impactful if the team were winning but because they are not I don't think many will either notice or care.   If I were a member of either team and I wished to make a statement showing my support, I would have voted to play the game wearing arm bands and offering to donate a portion of my salary earned from playing the game to the welfare of the the family and the six orphaned children.  Otherwise, it really is an empty gesture benefiting no one

longgame

I think the players are struggling to find a meaningful way to address these issues, across all sports.  This is a sign of frustration on their part.  But they will be well served by deciding what they want other than making a statement.

Oh well, off to New York and New England for a few days.  Should be interesting - CT, which had twice the number of Coronavirus deaths with a third of the population, doesn't want people from NC!

See ya next week.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on August 28, 2020, 06:53:09 AM
I think the players are struggling to find a meaningful way to address these issues, across all sports.  This is a sign of frustration on their part.  But they will be well served by deciding what they want other than making a statement.

Oh well, off to New York and New England for a few days.  Should be interesting - CT, which had twice the number of Coronavirus deaths with a third of the population, doesn't want people from NC!

See ya next week.

We were supposed to spend a week on Cape Cod next month but we were forced to cancel because of Masses absurd quarantine rules.  Meanwhile here in Delaware we had only 7 new cases yesterday and 20 the day before.  Our beaches are open and so are our restaurants and our hospitals are practically empty of virus cases.