6. Brandon Lowe (L) 2B
7. Willy Adames (R) SS
8. Mike Zunino (R) C
9. Kevin Kiermaier (L) CF

Gametime Temp: 86°F
Chance of Precip: 10%

BoSoxFanNY

Sea Dog 23

Good to see two young performers, Chavis and Verdugo, lead the way.  The Sox future is just a little bit brighter this morning.

longgame

I saw a thing this morning where Verdugo "kiddingly" said to Roenicke that he could hit lefties.  He had something like an .850 OBP vs. lefties but RR keeps playing the hapless Benitendi.

Murph

Alex Verdugo Frequently Issues This Reminder To Manager Ron Roenicke

by Adam London on Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:25PM

Alex Verdugo is making sure Ron Roenicke doesn’t forget about one of his strengths at the plate. Verdugo, a left-handed bat, has experienced impressive success against lefties early in his Major League Baseball career. The 24-year-old outfielder posted a .327 batting average over 109 plate appearances against southpaws with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2019, and he owns a .357 clip over 16 at-bats with the Red Sox this season. It’s common practice for MLB managers to sit some of their left-handed bats whenever the opposing team trots out a lefty, but Verdugo frequently reminds Roenicke that the Boston skipper can feel comfortable keeping him in the lineup under those circumstances. “I always mess around with that,” Verdugo told reports after the Red Sox’s win over the Rays on Wednesday. “When I’m not in there against a lefty, I’m like, ‘Hey, Ron, just so you know, man, I can hit ‘em.’ I think he knows it, too. I think he also knows when players are pressing. He’s doing his job, he’s doing what he has to do. I take a lot of pride against lefties.” Roenicke plugged Verdugo into the lineup for the series finale at Tropicana Field with left-hander Ryan Yarbrough on the hill for Tampa Bay, and the decision paid dividends. Verdugo put the Red Sox on the board in the fourth inning with his first home run in a Boston uniform, a two-run shot to right field. The Blue Jays have yet to determine a starter for Friday’s series opener at Fenway Park, but regardless of who gets the ball for Toronto, it probably would behoove Roenicke to keep Verdugo in the lineup.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2020/08/alex-verdugo-frequently-issues-this-reminder-to-manager-ron-roenicke/

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on August 06, 2020, 07:42:52 AM
I saw a thing this morning where Verdugo "kiddingly" said to Roenicke that he could hit lefties.  He had something like an .850 OBP vs. lefties but RR keeps playing the hapless Benitendi.
Hate to say it, but BENNY looks lost out there ?? iono iono iono iono

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 06, 2020, 03:08:25 PM
Quote from: longgame on August 06, 2020, 07:42:52 AM
Hate to say it, but BENNY looks lost out there ?? iono iono iono iono

There's  trade deadline coming in about two weeks.  Some sources saying Sox are seriously looking to improve the roster for 20 and 21, instead of a total reset.  To get some important pieces, who would you trade, Beni or Devers(??), or Chavis?

longgame

Saw an article saying if they're truly rebuilding they should trade JBJ and JDM (while there is a two league market for DH's).  At this point you have to wonder if they really should just blow the whole thing up.

elktonnick

If what Tony Mazz says is true about JD refusing to pinch hit in the Yankees game because he wasn't loose, even though he had been supposedly working out in the cage beforehand then I'd move him quickly. Apparently the manager has to give JD a couple of innings notice before he is asked to pinch hit.   Now it seems that JD is one fragile ball player and a bit of a Diva.   This guy is such a creature of his routine and can't adjust strikes me as making him too high maintenance for a ball club in these times.  If any thing that Mazz is saying is true I would trade the sob before sundown.