5. Dominic Smith (L) LF
6. Yoenis Cespedes (R) DH
7. Robinson Cano (L) 2B
8. Andres Gimenez (L) SS
9. Rene Rivera (R) C

Gametime Temp: 85°F
Chance of Precip: 1%

longgame

Bogey getting another rest night.  Can't have these guys get too tired out before they get mathematically eliminated in a couple of weeks.  But at least Beni will be hacking at the air as they throw breaking pitch after breaking pitch at him.

Sea Dog 23

If I recall Bogey had a hammy issue coming out of spring 2.0.  Also he took a bad spill Monday tagging out a Mets runner at 3b.  Osich the pitcher, did not cover the bag on an over shift.  But I agree, the lineups are puzzling.  Pillar, batting. 580 sits for Beni at a cool .140.

elktonnick

What the hell are they thinking.  Walking the first two batters with a two run lead in the 9th.

BoSoxFanNY

THAT was an exhausting win.

UGHHHHH - still shaking.

Glad that the Sox won 6 - 5.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on July 29, 2020, 09:43:37 PM
What the hell are they thinking.  Walking the first two batters with a two run lead in the 9th.

Just be glad we finally won another game; I was worried we were staring at a ten game losing streak.  Workman has done that before, walking the first batter he faces but usually does not do it to two hitters.  OTOH, he hasn't gotten much work while Roenicke has been using the excess garbage that passes fdor our pitching staff, Osik, Brice, Hall to name a few.  Perhaps with regular use Workman's control and stuff will sharpen.  At least he has a had a modicum of success last season.  Besides Elk, we haven't much choice in that situation.  It is either he or meatball Barnes to pitch those late innings and he wasn't a ball of fire either in the eighth.  Still, give them more work and see what happens.  Be nice if we could get a split in the series tomorrow.

Sea Dog 23

As bad as the season has started, the Sox were due for a change in the mojo.  We broke deGrom's 31 inning scoreless steak started by Devers and Moreland.  Then in the 8th Sox got to finally see a lousy reliever, whose line was 3-3-3, runs, hits, walks.

elktonnick

Anyone notice that Remy and Eck are both bashing the Red Sox irrational use of the shift.

longgame

At least it was a somewhat entertaining game compared to the last few.  So we've won Eovaldi's two starts and lost the rest.  Let's see if they can win one with some other guy on the mound.  Perez was shaky at the beginning of his last start but settled down after so maybe he can go right to "settled down".

Is it me or do the games seem longer than ever without crowds?  I'm having a hard time staying interested as the games go on and I'm wondering if the lack of crowd has something to do with it. 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on July 30, 2020, 07:45:57 AM
Anyone notice that Remy and Eck are both bashing the Red Sox irrational use of the shift.

I like that Remy questions things and Eck bashes them!  But I think everyone is scratching their head on the right shift.

Sea Dog 23

For Fred, msslive.com article on RR doing his own lineup input,

"Manager Ron Roenicke said the analytics department doesn’t send down a lineup to him. He makes lineup decisions himself after baseball operations sends information with matchups and advanced metrics.

"Roenicke said the analytics department sends him information before each series. He said sometimes it’s sent a week in advance.

“It’s just helping us to put all the information together,” Roenicke said Tuesday. “The medical department also sends in a list to me with numbers on how much effort these guys have been putting into being on the field, who needs a day off, who’s at high risk because they’ve been playing too often. All of this is gathered together by us sometimes the night before to make up the lineup and decide who’s playing.”

SeaBeachFred

Frankly I'm surprised Prune Face hasn't called them on it, that is, any negative stuff about his team.  Rumor had it s few years back that Don Orsillo's independent streak is what got him offed, much to my chagrin and that of many Red Sox fans who have had to put up with Dave O'Brien since.  Eck and Rem are showing an independent streak and good for them because there's a lot fo find fault with at the present time.  BTW guys, we signed this Chris MazzA.  ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PITCHER OR IS HE ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE FACELESS BUMS WE'VE BEEN SIGNING LEFT AND RIGHT?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 30, 2020, 08:27:31 AM
For Fred, msslive.com article on RR doing his own lineup input,

"Manager Ron Roenicke said the analytics department doesn’t send down a lineup to him. He makes lineup decisions himself after baseball operations sends information with matchups and advanced metrics.

"Roenicke said the analytics department sends him information before each series. He said sometimes it’s sent a week in advance.

“It’s just helping us to put all the information together,” Roenicke said Tuesday. “The medical department also sends in a list to me with numbers on how much effort these guys have been putting into being on the field, who needs a day off, who’s at high risk because they’ve been playing too often. All of this is gathered together by us sometimes the night before to make up the lineup and decide who’s playing.”

He's getting a lot of information but apparently it's not doing him much good.  You can have all the data on earth but with crappy pitching and a dull and non-enthused bunch of saps on it you can't translate into too many wins.  Maybe last night will help us some......I hope.

Bill-806

A win is a win ..... Late in the game, looked like we were going to give it away and I had visions of continuing on to a 12 & 48 season !!!! iono iono iono iono

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 30, 2020, 12:44:48 PM

Frankly I'm surprised Prune Face hasn't called them on it, that is, any negative stuff about his team.  Rumor had it s few years back that Don Orsillo's independent streak is what got him offed, much to my chagrin and that of many Red Sox fans who have had to put up with Dave O'Brien since.  Eck and Rem are showing an independent streak and good for them because there's a lot fo find fault with at the present time.  BTW guys, we signed this Chris MazzA.  ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PITCHER OR IS HE ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE FACELESS BUMS WE'VE BEEN SIGNING LEFT AND RIGHT?

He was with the Mets.  I'm surprised we haven't picked up Foltynewic or however you spell it.