GAME #5, TUESDAY JULY 28, 2020, NEW YORK METS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 28, 2020, 01:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

For the past two years, I have said there is something fundamental wrong in the Red Sox clubhouse and organization.  Yesterday they looked so distracted.  Does anyone want to play in Boston?

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: longgame on July 29, 2020, 07:58:53 AM
They are stunningly bad.  The play with Beni on 2B where he runs into the out to end the inning after the Sox had the bases loaded and none out was exemplary of the dumpster fire that is this year's Red Sox.  At least I made it through most of the game last night as they threatened a couple of times, but they are just awful.

In the meantime:
JBJ is on fire, bat him first.
Pillar is on fire, don't sit him
Verdugo is all hustle, I like the kid, play him every day.  Beni is the odd man out of that group.
Devers needs a diet plan and some tough love.  Let's not let him become Pablo Sandoval in front of our eyes.

Of course none of those things will fix the pitching which is as bad as any I've seen.  I'll say it again, you can't start a season with 1 1/2 legitimate starters.

Sox need a series with Miami and then they can put an end to the season.

SO true!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on July 29, 2020, 09:38:16 AM
For the past two years, I have said there is something fundamental wrong in the Red Sox clubhouse and organization.  Yesterday they looked so distracted.  Does anyone want to play in Boston?

HOW CAN A TEAM THAT WON 119 GAMES J UST TWO SEASONS AGO DESCEND INTO A MOTLEY COLLECTION OF SNIVELING LOSERS?  Did they get fat and sassy after 2018?  Did the loss of Kimbrel and Kelly and Pearce change he team that much?  Did Cora's assinine move to put Benintendi at leadoff and drop MVP to second in the order precipitate Andy's off season and continued piss poor hiting this season?  Hell I don't know and I do not want to mention that ill fated team's t rip to see the President seem to divide the team ( I know, no politics), but, hell, it must be something.  This looks like a rudderless, leaderless and diffident team that is disgracing itself.  Could it be there just don't give a damn?  And where if Bloom and Henry while this debacle is going down?

I'm wearing my David Ortiz Farewell tee shirt today, the one that says  Curse Broken, Championships Won, History Made with a sketch of Papi below.  Maybe that might be a harbinger of a possible win tonight.  OK, I am that desperate.

Sea Dog 23

Fred, there is something afloat no doubt.  A carry over from last year.  But I think many teams are coming off hard negotiations with the owners and leading into more contentious debates about FA compensation and who knows how the CBA will work itself out.  Other players may have rejected the rules of the restart, no gans, distancing., masks.   A strange way to get motivated. 

The Sox, Nats, Phils, Angels are off to rough starts.  The Dodgers, Cleveland, and Yanks IMO are the ones motivated to have a good season,  because their teams need a title.more than others.  The other clubs may not enjoy playing right now.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 29, 2020, 01:56:08 PM
Fred, there is something afloat no doubt.  A carry over from last year.  But I think many teams are coming off hard negotiations with the owners and leading into more contentious debates about FA compensation and who knows how the CBA will work itself out.  Other players may have rejected the rules of the restart, no gans, distancing., masks.   A strange way to get motivated. 

The Sox, Nats, Phils, Angels are off to rough starts.  The Dodgers, Cleveland, and Yanks IMO are the ones motivated to have a good season,  because their teams need a title.more than others.  The other clubs may not enjoy playing right now.

You could be right about the enjoyment part Sea Dog, but it does seem to go deeper than that.  I wonder if our friends on this board have a team they root for in the Ntional League that can serve as a backup for frustration and the hope that at least one of their teams can win on a given night.  Though they are a definite and firm second team of mine, I have followed the Cubs in the other league since Theo got there in 2012 and have traveled to ChiTown numerous times to see them.  They seem to he doing ok so far but it looks like I will never get to see a Red Sox-Cubs World Series anytime soon, if ever.  Do you follow a team in the other league Sea Dog?  If so, let me know unless they are the Dodgers; if so just forget I asked that question.

Sea Dog 23

Fred, I follow the Cardinals.  We lived out there quite a few years.  I got to see the Sox beat the Cards out there for the '04 title, will never forget that one. They love baseball in StLou, and for a smaller market town, they usually do well staying competitive.