Main Menu

Cora up for grabs?

Started by Sea Dog 23, December 11, 2023, 06:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

The Boston news media must have some garbage to carry out, as about three writers are carrying a story that Cora has about several teams that want him for manager.  Will make many here happy to hear that.

Cora’s contract will expire at the end of the 2024 season, and USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reported on Sunday that many teams are interested in giving him his next contract.

“Several teams have already expressed strong interest in Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who’s a free agent after the season,” Nightengale wrote.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2023/12/11/boston-red-sox-alex-cora-interest/

longgame

The team isn’t doing anything, they need to write about something.

SeaBeachFred

To all Major League teams-------PLEASE TAKE THIS DUFUS OFF OUR HANDS.  HE HAS DETERIORATED INTO A BUFFOON WHO PLAYS FAVORITES AND KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT PITCHING OR HOW TO RUN A GAME ANYMORE.   Get this guy out of town.

Sea Dog 23

Some talk that Sox are pivoting from pitcher to a bat.  Evidently as a backup to O'Neil's past injury record, Boston is looking into Teoscar Hernandez.  He is 31, coming off a down season at the plate during which he slashed just .258/.305/.435 (105 wRC+) as a member of the Mariners.

With that being said, the slugger still managed to crush 26 home runs last season and entered 2023 with a whopping .283/.333/.519 slash line since the start of the 2020 campaign. That slash line is good for a 133 wRC+, tied with Austin Riley for the 20th best figure in the majors across the 2020-22 seasons. With a stable, above-average offensive floor and a tantalizing, All Star-caliber ceiling, Hernandez ranked 12th on MLBTR’s annual Top 50 MLB free agents list, where we projected him for a four-year, $80MM contract.

/Pete Thamel  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/red-sox-angels-reportedly-interested-in-teoscar-hernandez.html

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 23, 2023, 08:02:43 AM
Some talk that Sox are pivoting from pitcher to a bat.  Evidently as a backup to O'Neil's past injury record, Boston is looking into Teoscar Hernandez.  He is 31, coming off a down season at the plate during which he slashed just .258/.305/.435 (105 wRC+) as a member of the Mariners.

With that being said, the slugger still managed to crush 26 home runs last season and entered 2023 with a whopping .283/.333/.519 slash line since the start of the 2020 campaign. That slash line is good for a 133 wRC+, tied with Austin Riley for the 20th best figure in the majors across the 2020-22 seasons. With a stable, above-average offensive floor and a tantalizing, All Star-caliber ceiling, Hernandez ranked 12th on MLBTR’s annual Top 50 MLB free agents list, where we projected him for a four-year, $80MM contract.

/Pete Thamel  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/red-sox-angels-reportedly-interested-in-teoscar-hernandez.html

A25-30 home run bat and not a decent new pitcher.  Gee, that sounds like a plan---a plan for us to have SEVEN LAST PLACE FINISHES IN 13 YEARS.  I'm becoming more convinced by the day that Craig Breslow has no real power and has become an empty suit trying to portray himself as a director of baseball operations for a sinking franchise.  Do yourself a favor Bres and go back to Chicago.....if they will have you.  Already you have loser writren all over you.  Very sad!!!!!

MongoLikeSox

I'm not in favor of another strike out guy in the lineup. We already have Story.

Sea Dog 23

MongoLikeSox

Sorry, I was referring to their chasing of Teoscar Hernandez and his 211 K's last year.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 24, 2023, 04:58:24 PM
??

Sorry, I was searching for the various sections, there is a new one somewhere called "Hot Stove"

Sea Dog 23

It's looking more and more like Boston will not compete in the bigger FA market.  Yamamoto and now Montgomery have no interest to the Sox.  Top of rotation pitching will be accomplished by trade as it is looking.  Dylan Cease and Burnes are interesting to Breslow.  The price for one of those will likely be Mayer and/ or Yorke ane a A ball pitcher.  Pitching demands you pay the price.  I don't think we give them Anthony.  He is the future Betts/Bogaerts. 

They are fighting to stay under the tax line.  To heck with fan interest or even selling tickets.

elktonnick

More and more media are criticizing Henry for his lack of interest in improving the Red Sox

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on December 26, 2023, 09:07:27 AM
More and more media are criticizing Henry for his lack of interest in improving the Red Sox

Yes Elk but are those media from the Boston Globe where their boss is the pathetic Prune Face who has no interest in making the team a winner again.  He wants to spend good prospects to get a pitcher or two who will be free agents in a year or so---which we will lose eventually since that cheap bastard doesn't want to spend any of his rotten money.  And it will cost us Mayer and Yorke, two of our best prospects.  What a @#$%&? up team this has turned out to be, and you won't find me going to see them play when they come to Anaheim or spend my hard earned money for a trip to Boston to watch another shit show next season.

longgame

These days the Globe is a small part of the media, safely tucked behind a pay wall to ensure that nobody actually reads it.  It really doesn't matter what they say anymore.  There is a much larger media base than there used to be and it's not limited to shock jocks and a company-owned paper.  I mean even NESN guys, which Henry also owns, were down on the Sox at the end of last year.  But there are tons of people that cover the Sox for all sorts of outlets with national audiences and people seem to be fed up. 

Maybe they blow me away and somehow sign at least one or two of the 5 or 6 players they need.  Yeah, right.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on December 27, 2023, 11:35:52 AM
These days the Globe is a small part of the media, safely tucked behind a pay wall to ensure that nobody actually reads it.  It really doesn't matter what they say anymore.  There is a much larger media base than there used to be and it's not limited to shock jocks and a company-owned paper.  I mean even NESN guys, which Henry also owns, were down on the Sox at the end of last year.  But there are tons of people that cover the Sox for all sorts of outlets with national audiences and people seem to be fed up. 

Maybe they blow me away and somehow sign at least one or two of the 5 or 6 players they need.  Yeah, right.

What is totally irritating and beyond the pale is that before the Winter Meetings began some of the lesser lights in the front office said that the team was "ALL IN" in the race to upgrade the team and get us back in pennant contention as soon as possible.  Correct me if I'm wrong or in a daze but I don't think they've done damn  thing up to now to strengthen the ball club,  It could be Pruney told his flunkies in no uncertain terms to cool the  rhetoric and that perhaps is why we are hearing nothing while the team is doing nothing.  Even a critic like me even believed they would have done something substantially by now but NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Sea Dog 23

It seems Breslow has become the brilliant Ivy Leaguer --- or the mad scientist.  He traded Verdugo for minor leaguers and a lottery pick, then blew up the rotation and traded Sale.  What is coming?

Some analysts say he is ready to blow up the bullpen.  Trading Jansen or Martin or Schreiber for a grab bag?  A free agent for the bull pen plug-in might be Robert Stephenson, who was pretty sharp for Tampa last year.  And there's  Yariel Rodriguez, a  FA Cuban pitcher who projects as a starter.

Spotrac does tabulations on team salaries.  Henry seems to be all about the tax line.
With the Sale deal they are at $185 mil. Monty, Imanaga, Bader, Duval, Stephenson (minus Jansen) is $66mil. I think the magic number this year is $250 m