Main Menu

Who will be CBO?

Started by Sea Dog 23, September 18, 2023, 10:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Kennedy made the strong point to indicate that the Sox would interview more than one candidate which only serves to underscore their entire approach towards hiring Bloom and firing Dombrowski for that matter was a mistake.

They have moved O'Halloran to as yet undefined new role and are undecided as to what authority their new HOBO will have.  This all seems to suggest the organization is one f*cked up mess.

elktonnick

Reports are now coming out to.support what many here surmised that Cora was not supportive of Bloom.  Not that I cared for Bloom I did not but if these reports are true it is just another black mark against Cora in my book.  Not only is he a cheater but a disloyal sob. Bloom gave Cora the job and this is how he repays him.  Any new HOBO needs to make Cora's  departure a condition of employment in my book.

Sea Dog 23

Gabe Kapler was terminated by the Giants today.  He would be a dependable manager for the Sox, if the new GM guy insisted on a new manager. A former Boston Red Sox.  But those are pure conjecture points.

markj

I saw that about Kapler and initially thought that same thing, but then the article went on to say he is fond of platooning and reclamation projects. We've had enough of both.

elktonnick

I think Kapler would be a bit too intense for laid-back Red Sox.

MongoLikeSox

All's I've been able to find on Cora and Bloom so far are a few low-level internet news articles with commentary about a Ken Rosenthal appearance on a radio(IIRC) show explaining that he was told by some close to Bloom that Cora was not as supportive as he could have been. No content, examples, details, etc.

elktonnick

Felger and Mazz yesterday had an interesting perspective on the Bloom Cora relationship.  Both thought Cora's praise of the Os front office Thursday was a direct slam at Bloom.
Basically it is an issue that Bloom was too analytical and did not appreciate what really happens in the dugout.

Sea Dog 23

Cora too an indirect slap at Bloom back in August.  Cora:  "nobody cares how high your minor league is ranked, it's all about wins in October."

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 29, 2023, 07:53:33 PM
I saw that about Kapler and initially thought that same thing, but then the article went on to say he is fond of platooning and reclamation projects. We've had enough of both.

If what you said is true about Kapler, then its adios for him.  We don't need any more dumpster diving or reclamation projects  Six last place finishes in the last 12 years is enough to make all of us sick to our stomachs.

longgame

I think we had speculated on that Cora-Bloom relationship here.  Certainly there were times, like when he left Barraclough in there, that he was sending a message of "if this is the only kind of move you can make, let's see what he can do".  There's certainly a natural tension between a guy who has been a player and then a manager and a stat head in the front office.  Those teams that bridge that gap make it work.  Part of it has to be an ops guy with some actual experience outside of the office.

Someone will be sold on this being a historic opportunity with a franchise that has some good assets in place and really needs someone to identify and fill the gaps.  Bloom was simply incapable of constructing a team, never mind a quality team. But with some young players and the false commitments Henry will give him, someone will jump.

Sea Dog 23

Another rub, Bloom and Cora, the Globe noted that Bloom had tagged the Sox as "underdogs", who were sti;ll competitors after the deadline.  Cora and the coaches showed up at a game a week or so later with 'underdog'  tee-shirts.

Sea Dog 23

I think the choice for CBO now is 60/30 between Kim Ng and Fuld (10 for a surprise candidate).  Just my .02c that Cora is becoming a big influence for the new CBO, and he just might get the last look on trades.  I think they offered him CBO, but he told them, "it's not my time."  Alas the choice is coming down to an officer who would be willing to be second guessed by three other presidents and now Cora as well.

From a Cora interview this week on his relationship with Ng (he worked with her during his time in LA 20 years ago.  "She's got the experience and you can't replace that."

https://x.com/Bastards_Boston/status/1709259419828060658?s=20

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 06, 2023, 09:51:14 AM
I think the choice for CBO now is 60/30 between Kim Ng and Fuld (10 for a surprise candidate).  Just my .02c that Cora is becoming a big influence for the new CBO, and he just might get the last look on trades.  I think they offered him CBO, but he told them, "it's not my time."  Alas the choice is coming down to an officer who would be willing to be second guessed by three other presidents and now Cora as well.

From a Cora interview this week on his relationship with Ng (he worked with her during his time in LA 20 years ago.  "She's got the experience and you can't replace that."

https://x.com/Bastards_Boston/status/1709259419828060658?s=20
I think your point about Cora's influence is excellent. I also think your comments about too many cooks in the kitchen is right on target.  None of this gives me much hope for real change. Sad

longgame

Agreed, I really worry about the multi-headed monster and also worry about whether anyone competent would take the job given that they'll be in that mess.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on October 06, 2023, 03:25:11 PM
Agreed, I really worry about the multi-headed monster and also worry about whether anyone competent would take the job given that they'll be in that mess.

There is a blurb today on masslive that the Sox are getting big push back from CBO candidates, to be a part of the obstacles at Fenway Group.  Michael Hill?

One person whom the Red Sox are known to be targeting, multiple industry sources confirm, is Michael Hill, who has an extensive resumé in the game and for the last few years has served as MLB’s Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations. For MLB, Hill is in charge of umpires and on-field discipline. Hill, who played football and baseball at Harvard, was drafted by the Texas Rangers in 1993 and spent three seasons in the minor leagues.

It is unknown if Hill has interviewed for the position yet, or even if he has signaled interest in the role.

After his playing days, Hill worked for the Tampa Bay Rays, Colorado Rockies, and Florida Marlins. He worked his way up the ladder with the Marlins, first becoming general manager, then president of baseball operations before being let go by then-CEO Derek Jeter after the 2020 season.  As president of BO at Miami, his teams had 3 winning seasons out of 6.
Last off-season he was considered as GM by Angels, Mets, and Astros (from whom he removed his name).