Pitchers to watch this season?

Started by MongoLikeSox, February 23, 2023, 11:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

From the Padres site regarding their 6-man rotation and the 6th spot that is seemingly up for grabs.
"
Based on spring performance, left-hander Jay Groome appears to be the leader for that role. Groome, who landed in San Diego in the deal that sent Eric Hosmer to Boston, posted a 1.29 ERA across five spring outings, impressing with his increased fastball velocity and smoother delivery.
"
Yup! Another feather in our roster building / development cap. As it looks now, their SS, #3 Starter and #6 Starter are 2022 Red Sox and our system.

Anyone else sick to their stomachs yet? I really hope there's a significant amount of no-shows on Thursday.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 27, 2023, 11:17:03 AM
From the Padres site regarding their 6-man rotation and the 6th spot that is seemingly up for grabs.
"
Based on spring performance, left-hander Jay Groome appears to be the leader for that role. Groome, who landed in San Diego in the deal that sent Eric Hosmer to Boston, posted a 1.29 ERA across five spring outings, impressing with his increased fastball velocity and smoother delivery.
"
Yup! Another feather in our roster building / development cap. As it looks now, their SS, #3 Starter and #6 Starter are 2022 Red Sox and our system.

Anyone else sick to their stomachs yet? I really hope there's a significant amount of no-shows on Thursday.

But...but our MGT is brilliant.  They have stocked our rotation with hurlers who were Cy Young quality in 2018 and the pick of the litter for 2023 ???  But to get real, two of those starters have pitched about 25 innings, both of them in the last 2-3 years.  Like elk has said, this team will implode because of the rotation was not addressed in the off-season, except for adding a Tampa retread who can only throw an 88mph heater.

elktonnick

After watching a half dozen ST games, this team is not as good as last year's team was at this time.   Clearly the team is weaker defensively in the outfield, infield and behind the plate.  I foresee a lot of would-be fly outs turning into singles, singles into doubles and doubles into triples.  I also see an inordinate increase in infield hits and teams stealing bases at will.
The starting rotation is mediocre but the bullpen is worse and they still have no closer..

I see no way this team breaks .500 even with the weaker schedule.

My only hope is that Bloom is fired sooner rather than later.

MongoLikeSox

And starting the 5th game for the NL Champions? You guessed it. Matt Strahm. Why not, right? That's what he wanted - a shot to start. Couldn't get that with a team that finished 14th in the AL last season in ERA, but the Defending NL champs are giving it to him.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 27, 2023, 11:17:03 AM
"
"

Meanwhile Mongo, it looks like Tanner Houck is going the way of Darwizon Hernandez, Caleb Ort and so many others from our pathetic pitching staff.  Just who the hell are these bums who tutor our pitchers.  In the pandemic season of 2020 Houck looked like a real comer, went 3-0 after being brought up and finished the season with a seven inning gem against the hated New York Yankees in the only game we won from them in the shortened season.  Now the guy looks like another washed up bum.  To me this season could be the worst of all.  We have a filthy rotten cheater as manager who also happens to have favorites and chooses them for his team even though no one else seems to rate them that high.  Why Cora is even managing the team makes we want to throw up.  Then there is Bloom who makes the the word incompetence look good compared to his performance as our head of Baseball Ops.  The GM is nothing more than a cipher dancing to Blom's tune and when we lose our last Grapefruit League Game tomorrow we will have finished 14-14-5 after winning our first eight games plus the ties. 

Guys out there, we may be headed for a total debacle this season.......Hey Henry, whether you like it or not you cheap bastard, you are going to have to fire those two pukes if only to begin the restoration our team and to save you from any more embarrassment that much of what has occured you brought on yourself.

MongoLikeSox

Fred, I read something yesterday about 6-clicks into a link-path starting from Baseball Reference. They had asked Kennedy if he would offer up what he thought their biggest mistake was  with the XB negotiations. He said he would not comment on them, but did offer that one of biggest mistakes they made not directly involved with the negotiations was to talk about their desire and prioritize to keep XB here in Boston. Baghdad Bob stuff, for sure. Unless that was his was of apologizing for lying to us.

Then the oddest thing, and it might be *somewhat* true. The writer went on to write about how wonderful the current front office has been with their willingness to be so darned transparent when discussing strategy and decisions with the press and fans. I guess one mans carefully crafted spin spewage is another man's transparency? 

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 28, 2023, 07:42:08 AM
Fred, I read something yesterday about 6-clicks into a link-path starting from Baseball Reference. They had asked Kennedy if he would offer up what he thought their biggest mistake was  with the XB negotiations. He said he would not comment on them, but did offer that one of biggest mistakes they made not directly involved with the negotiations was to talk about their desire and prioritize to keep XB here in Boston. Baghdad Bob stuff, for sure. Unless that was his was of apologizing for lying to us.

Then the oddest thing, and it might be *somewhat* true. The writer went on to write about how wonderful the current front office has been with their willingness to be so darned transparent when discussing strategy and decisions with the press and fans. I guess one mans carefully crafted spin spewage is another man's transparency?

As long as you don't look directly into Bloom's eyes when he's lying to you, you can become immune to it.  Yet several writers fall under his gaze and lap it up.

elktonnick

Regarding Bloom and Kennedy's lies, like the old joke says,"How can you tell they are lying?  Their lips are moving.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on March 27, 2023, 04:08:30 PM
After watching a half dozen ST games, this team is not as good as last year's team was at this time.   Clearly the team is weaker defensively in the outfield, infield and behind the plate.  I foresee a lot of would-be fly outs turning into singles, singles into doubles and doubles into triples.  I also see an inordinate increase in infield hits and teams stealing bases at will.
The starting rotation is mediocre but the bullpen is worse and they still have no closer..

I see no way this team breaks .500 even with the weaker schedule.

My only hope is that Bloom is fired sooner rather than later.

Bloom has earned his ticket out of town and why that crud is still with the team only confirms my opinion that he is still in Prune Face's good graces and is doing exactly what Henry wants. Trading Benintendi for a bum like Franchy French Fry and then peddling slugger Hunter Renfroe to the Brewers  and taking the pathetic Jackie Bradley back for another round of total offensive failure speaks volumes as to how we have gone from the penthouse to the outhouse.  And have you seen our pitching the past few days.  Cutter Crawford, another trade debacle with his straight as an arrow heater that was blasted around the park this afternoon.  And let's not forget Snort Ort with another miserable one inning performance.  Can this team be as bad as last year's sad and sorry club?  Could very well be.  Bloom has been guilty of malfeasance not seen in Boston since the Yawkey days.  He and Cora should both sent packing before we have another 2012, 2014, 2015, 2020 and 2022 on our hands.

MongoLikeSox

On the pitchers from the big list above front, we got one of our Rule-5 pitchers back today. Politi got returned to us. He had another implosion and gave up 3 runs in 2/3 of an inning. IIRC, that's something like 8-9 appearances, with two of them being complete duds. Easier said than done, but his numbers looked decent, otherwise.

Looks like Ward made the Nationals. No update on Song.

MongoLikeSox

Some things no longer up in the air for these ex-Sox.

• Austin Davis did not land a spot on the Astros. He is starting the season in Sugarland(AAA) and is not on their 40-man roster. Not a horrible Spring. 1.92 ERA, but did have a 1.28 WHIP which seems borderline at best these days. Especially to mixed rosters.
  • Bazardo is starting the year in AAA (Norfolk Tides - Orioles' affiliate now) and is not on their 40-man.
  • Josh Taylor is starting the year in the Royals AAA. One disaster outing ruined his ERA, but he was still giving up a hit an outing for the most part.
  • Seabold made the Rockies Bull Pen.
  • Franklin German starts the year in the White Sox AAA, but he is on the 40-man Roster. Not a horrible Spring, but not a good one either. Progress on the BB front. 3 in 8.1 IP.
  • Jake Reed stayed put in the Dodgers' AAA, but did have an OK Spring Training. Would have been one of our better ST pitchers.
  • Jay Groome starts the year in AAA for the Padres, losing out on his bid for the 6th spot in their rotation. 
  • Sawamura signed back with a team in Japan. I missed it. This was back in January.

Diekman, Wacha, Barnes, Hill, Eovaldi, Perez and Strahm are good to go (Not demoted or on the IL yet) with their respective teams. 

Lastly, Noah Song is on the Phillies 40-man Roster, but on the IL. I was wrong about the protocol back to us. If he's as good as he's supposed to be, there ain't no way we'll see him again. The more I learn about the Rule-5 protocol, the less I think of Chaim Bloom.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 31, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
Some things no longer up in the air for these ex-Sox.

• Austin Davis did not land a spot on the Astros. He is starting the season in Sugarland(AAA) and is not on their 40-man roster. Not a horrible Spring. 1.92 ERA, but did have a 1.28 WHIP which seems borderline at best these days. Especially to mixed rosters.
  • Bazardo is starting the year in AAA (Norfolk Tides - Orioles' affiliate now) and is not on their 40-man.
  • Josh Taylor is starting the year in the Royals AAA. One disaster outing ruined his ERA, but he was still giving up a hit an outing for the most part.
  • Seabold made the Rockies Bull Pen.
  • Franklin German starts the year in the White Sox AAA, but he is on the 40-man Roster. Not a horrible Spring, but not a good one either. Progress on the BB front. 3 in 8.1 IP.
  • Jake Reed stayed put in the Dodgers' AAA, but did have an OK Spring Training. Would have been one of our better ST pitchers.
  • Jay Groome starts the year in AAA for the Padres, losing out on his bid for the 6th spot in their rotation. 
  • Sawamura signed back with a team in Japan. I missed it. This was back in January.

Diekman, Wacha, Barnes, Hill, Eovaldi, Perez and Strahm are good to go (Not demoted or on the IL yet) with their respective teams. 

Lastly, Noah Song is on the Phillies 40-man Roster, but on the IL. I was wrong about the protocol back to us. If he's as good as he's supposed to be, there ain't no way we'll see him again. The more I learn about the Rule-5 protocol, the less I think of Chaim Bloom.

Meanwhike we have Brasier and Ort stinking up the joint for us and we've only played one game with those two having given up six runs and about as many hits in our first game.  Why are these two turds still with us?

MongoLikeSox

I've got three games to watch at once tonight (Sox, Celtics and Canes), but there's one other game of interest. Strahm makes a start for the Phillies tonight. Against the Yanks, no less.

(btw, last years exiled rotation(Eovaldi, Wacha and Hill) went 5-5-6 IP allowing 3-3-4 runs in their first starts. Also, Martin Perez excelled in his start giving up a run over 5.2 IP.)

Sea Dog 23

Eovaldi was throwing  up to 97 against a great Phils  lineup getting a shutout  for 3 innings.    He was passed over for a guy throwing 88 tops at half the salary of Nate.  Thats a steal  sigh

MongoLikeSox

Strahm got his start and pitched 4 innings, 0 runs, 1H, 1BB in his start. 42 strikes in 61 pitches. I'd hazard a guess that he's earned a 2nd shot.