Pitchers to watch this season?

Started by MongoLikeSox, February 23, 2023, 11:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

My frustration is we are seeing other teams identifying guys and going out and getting them. The Sox are going to need another starter even if they get Yamamoto (which I'm not expecting now since they can't seem to open the wallet), then go after Montgomery who is living in Boston.  Send his wife flowers every morning.  Wine and dine the heck out of him.  Get Pedro involved.  Then show him the money.  Pitching is so bad, they can't wait for leftovers.  Plus we know we still need a 2B and at least one veteran OF, hopefully a catcher.  Nothing to show with a lot of huge needs.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on December 07, 2023, 03:57:44 PM
My frustration is we are seeing other teams identifying guys and going out and getting them. The Sox are going to need another starter even if they get Yamamoto (which I'm not expecting now since they can't seem to open the wallet), then go after Montgomery who is living in Boston.  Send his wife flowers every morning.  Wine and dine the heck out of him.  Get Pedro involved.  Then show him the money.  Pitching is so bad, they can't wait for leftovers.  Plus we know we still need a 2B and at least one veteran OF, hopefully a catcher.  Nothing to show with a lot of huge needs.

I said something similar to a post by Mongo just minutes ago.  I'm beginning to believe that John Henry is really going to sit on his hands again this off season and pretend that black is white and try to fool  the fans again.  He will have good luck with the boot lickers and pink hot fans  but another horse dung season in 2024 will in my opinion turn all of Boston in a quest for Henry's ass.

Sea Dog 23

John Morosi thinks Ohtani could make his decision as early as today.  That in itself would start the movement of the bottleneck for some of the big ticket pitchers, which has reached a standstill.

Rosenthal does not see Montgomery returning to Rangers.  I'd take a guess that Sox are 66% if there are three teams bidding.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 08, 2023, 08:18:12 AM
John Morosi thinks Ohtani could make his decision as early as today.  That in itself would start the movement of the bottleneck for some of the big ticket pitchers, which has reached a standstill.

Rosenthal does not see Montgomery returning to Rangers.  I'd take a guess that Sox are 66% if there are three teams bidding.

I was just coming on to post the same. Also, a lot of rumors surrounding the Yanks and Yamamoto.  One article had this quote: "The Yankees, meanwhile, have a strong desire to land Yamamoto and a willingness to show Evil Empire levels of financial aggressiveness"

It would be nice to have the Sox show some levels of financial aggressiveness instead of watching everyone else do it.

MongoLikeSox

The pitchers that we've lot out on so far are not the ones we were targeting or ones we had any sort of chance on. No way for ERod, though affordable. Forget Gray in big pressure towns and Nola was never going anywhere.

Not getting Yakamoto is and has been the likely outcome for us, but that's on FSG more than anything else, I think, but only to a point of sanity. Not getting Montgomery should we fail to land Yakamoto is the bigger fail for me.

I think the Yankees PR machine is in full scare everyone off mode. Then again, they have the $$ to back it up.

longgame

The current rumor is Ohtani to Toronto.  I don't see it. Leave the US?  Canadian Taxes?  Not sure that's the way to maximize his earnings although technically it's a bigger market than Boston. 

I think it's just people overreacting becuase he's going to visit with them.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on December 08, 2023, 03:45:15 PM
The current rumor is Ohtani to Toronto.  I don't see it. Leave the US?  Canadian Taxes?  Not sure that's the way to maximize his earnings although technically it's a bigger market than Boston. 

Morosi said Ohtani was en route to Toronto today, however JM could not find any facts on a contract.
Not good for the competition for Yamamoto.  Dodgers bid on Ohtani, now needing pitching just as bad, they will be spiking the bids.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 08, 2023, 05:11:03 PM

Morosi said Ohtani was en route to Toronto today, however JM could not find any facts on a contract.
Not good for the competition for Yamamoto.  Dodgers bid on Ohtani, now needing pitching just as bad, they will be spiking the bids.

What a short term hysteria on Twitter.  Now he’s not even traveling there. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on December 08, 2023, 06:23:22 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 08, 2023, 05:11:03 PM

What a short term hysteria on Twitter.  Now he’s not even traveling there.

It broke this afternoon.  Dodgers are the winner of the sweepstakes, costing a cool $700 mil however that gets divied up.  What a drama queen this guy is.  At one time he was asking for part ownership.

longgame

They're paying him as if he is both the best hitter and pitcher in the league and hoping he will be for 10 years. The guy is great, but that is ridiculous.