Offseason moves starting

Started by longgame, October 12, 2022, 08:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on November 23, 2022, 11:24:49 AM
Chaim sends message - mediocrity is our priority, signs Joely Rodriguez.  Career 1.45 WHIP and 4.56 ERA.

I asked you and other on another thread if any of you had some info on this Joely character.  Apparently, he isn't much to write home about.  Somehow I had a feeling about that looking at his ERA. I just wonder what we really intend on doing in the next two months besides dumpster diving.

longgame

I responded over there.  My Mets fan buddy was laughing about it.  I just don't see what value he places on some of these pieces, plus he needs help for the 7th, 8th and 9th innings, not the 4th and 5th when the starter bombs out.  Unless this guy can eat innings I don't see how he fits.

Sea Dog 23

This week the Sox opened up a spot on the 40 man (now 39) by releasing C Ronaldo Hernandez.  He cleared waivers and will be assigned to Worcester.  So there is an opening for the next signee.  I’m too beaten down as a Sox fan to even guess who or when that might be.  It could well be Elmer Fudd for all I know.  sigh

Sea Dog 23

Monday the Sox were shopping Dalbec, it seems as a single transaction.  That move would net them maybe a bag of balls.  You would hope he could go in a multi player deal to net a decent return of one or two assets.  Rays were picking up the phone on Bobby.

Bloom is going after reliever Kahnle, surprise he was a former Yankee.
This is a journalistic gem! Do these free agents really understand our convoluted management group?  WTH.

“Red Sox looking lower in pitching market, for ‘upside, consistency, and leadership’.”

Bloom also noted Story or Kike could play SS, if Bogey departs.

Nate and Wacha are "both still possibilities."

longgame

So much talk, so little action.  They have to decide, do they want certain players or not?  If they want Bogey, get him.  If they don't, move on and make an offer to Swanson or Correa.  Zero credibility with Chaim until he does something.  I'm not holding my breath. 

elktonnick

Based on Blooms latest interview with Spiers, it looks like Bloom plans to stock up on Swiss Army Knives
He is looking to build a solidly mediocre team.  His goal is an 80 win team.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on December 06, 2022, 08:06:26 AM
Based on Blooms latest interview with Spiers, it looks like Bloom plans to stock up on Swiss Army Knives
He is looking to build a solidly mediocre team.  His goal is an 80 win team.

9 OF/1B types.  A team of Franchys.

Sea Dog 23

Our new Daddy Orioles found some reason to sign Franchy.  However they did sign a decent srarting pitcher, Gibson, former Phillies.

Bloom's vision to sign 'value with an upside', is going to do nothing to sell tickets to a big fanbase.  Dombrowski and Cohen uunderstand the baseball market.  Bloom is only trying to redefine baseball to what he remembers from an Ivey League education.

longgame

The Sox apparently were going hard for Tommy Kahnle but were outbid by the Yankees.  Not too broken up that they didn't get him, but they can't even pick up the lower level guys now.  Freaking clown show. 

Sea Dog 23

Another day done at the meetings done.  Going in, the Sox were addressing OF (plus power), SS, P, RP.
Yesterday a couple OF came off the table, Haniger to Giants and Berlinger to Cubs.  That likely leaves Judge and Nimmo as the two prime OF’s left, Brantley a step down, but could be a DH..  Mid level would be Conforto and Gallo.

There are musings Sox could enter into a trade for OF.  One possibility is Garrett Cooper of the Marlins, ultimate flexible - plays 1B, RF, LF. Also Soler to a lesser degree.

On the pitching front Sox outbid Rangers for lefty Andrew Heaney.  But Heaney took the Rangers offer at 2/$25m.  WHAT?  Sox bid was said to be $30-31m. Phils signed former Sox lefty Strahm.
   //Shaking my head

longgame

Judge re-signing with the Yankees - 9 years, $360MM. He'll be there until he's 40 making $40MM per.  The Sox keep dithering on their own free agents and the top end of the free agent market keeps going higher, meaning the Sox will never sign a top free agent.  Nice job by Cashman taking care of their own. 

Sea Dog 23

With the Judge signing the field players are starting to fall.  The Sox needed a RH bat with plus power.  Another OF to play RF at Fenway would help.  Through Thursday, the Sox have passed on power bats Nimmo and Haniger, both gone.  Nothing to show for Bogey and Turner.

Sox did sign the little dynamo , 5-8 Yoshida, who hits from the left side. Can he learn to hit the slants of Cole, Gausman and Glasgow?  About the only RH slugger left in this small FA year is JDM.  Does he have any gas left in the tank.  Maybe Bloomer is looking for players to fall in his lap. My guess he’ll have to overpay for Correa. Other than a couple bullpen guys, MGT did little to improve a last place team. The Boston Herald has started a poll whether Henry should sell the team.  That may be the only solution out of this pile of warm garbage.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 09, 2022, 04:59:27 AM
With the Judge signing the field players are starting to fall.  The Sox needed a RH bat with plus power.  Another OF to play RF at Fenway would help.  Through Thursday, the Sox have passed on power bats Nimmo and Haniger, both gone.  Nothing to show for Bogey and Turner.

Sox did sign the little dynamo , 5-8 Yoshida, who hits from the left side. Can he learn to hit the slants of Cole, Gausman and Glasgow?  About the only RH slugger left in this small FA year is JDM.  Does he have any gas left in the tank.  Maybe Bloomer is looking for players to fall in his lap. My guess he’ll have to overpay for Correa. Other than a couple bullpen guys, MGT did little to improve a last place team. The Boston Herald has started a poll whether Henry should sell the team.  That may be the only solution out of this pile of warm garbage.

Which would be repeating last year's approach.  I can't see them getting Correa who should be getting a Trea Turner contract.  He's good, he's young, he hits, he fields.  There's no way the Sox would want to pay someone who is that good.  I just don't see where the improvement over last year is coming.  Hoping Yoshida is the real deal yet the Red Sox still don't have a ML outfield and don't even have a full infield.  Maybe there's some pitcher in some foreign country that Bloom is worried about. 

elktonnick

I know I gave Bloom props for the Yoshida deal but now I am having my doubts given what numerous scouts are saying.

What is puzzling is why are the Sox consistently willing to pay more for the shinny new toy than their established stars. Bloom has boxed himself in a corner.  If the Sox have another mediocre year and or if Yoshida bombs Bloom will be fired.  Heck Bloom may be fired regardless because that's  what Henry does i.e.fire GMs every four years just to keep in practice.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on December 09, 2022, 08:24:22 AM
I know I gave Bloom props for the Yoshida deal but now I am having my doubts given what numerous scouts are saying.

What is puzzling is why are the Sox consistently willing to pay more for the shinny new toy than their established stars. Bloom has boxed himself in a corner.  If the Sox have another mediocre year and or if Yoshida bombs Bloom will be fired.  Heck Bloom may be fired regardless because that's  what Henry does i.e.fire GMs every four years just to keep in practice.

It would be swell if Prune Face could fire himself for his malfeasance as an owner.  He started this downfall when he fired Dave Dombrowski because he wanted to become more economical (read CHEAP) back in 2019.  Absent that he would do all of us a favor by selling the team because he apparently has no desire anymore to spend the money necessary to have a contending team.  As for Bloom the very mention of his stunned reaction to Bogaerts signing tells us all we have to know about his incompetence and stupidity.  He needs to be canned as soon as possible.