GAME #131 - WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 31, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ MINNESOTA TWINS

Started by markj, August 31, 2022, 08:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 31, 2022, 10:02:25 PM
Wow, they got out of it. Twins fans must be pissed.

Let's all just try to be happy tonight.    We won!!!!!  We have to take what we can get in this lost season and right now a win feels like we just won the pennant;  that's how dreary this season has become

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Schloicka on August 31, 2022, 10:01:00 PM
Not pinch running for JD was huge.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That said, mine was pure after-thought. I wonder if he was saving him for a pinch-hitting opp for Dalbec if the game got stretched out again?

MongoLikeSox

I'm glad they won one of these, at least. Gotta add that seeing Story lace two shots to RF was something I've not seen him do so much before. Both of those were great hits. Lots more to hitting than wrap around pull shots and strike outs.

Bobby D's gonna have a very tough stretch the next week or so, I suspect. NESN had TC break in with a Casas update after getting a couple more hits. Extra pitcher and extra position player starts what, Monday?

The real shame of this is Connor Wong. He's done very well at the plate this past month, been leading off and they say they like his defense. However, Plawecki is making it known that he can still hit despite the season he's had and McGuire is channeling his best Wade Boggs since coming over from the White Sox. I don't think we can have both Wong and Casas up without releasing someone else. I could be wrong. 

Sea Dog 23

Another game Sox not running on all cylinders.  I think 2-13 risp (thanks Bogey), 12 LOB and 14 Ks.  But a win is a win period.

longgame

A win and some pop to show for it.  I'll take it even if they let it get closer than it should have been.  Watch out now that Barnes is regaining form.  I'm sure Bloom has already checked that one off his to-do list and Meatball Matt will get a shot at closer.  Has JD found his HR stroke again?  His average has been improving lately but now with some pop of course its too little too late.  Now Raffy just wants to murder every ball and I swear closes his eyes when he swings like that.  On the other hand, maybe Dalbec should try closing his eyes since he'll swing at anything and can't hit anything.  Can't be any worse. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 01, 2022, 06:48:26 AM
I'm glad they won one of these, at least. Gotta add that seeing Story lace two shots to RF was something I've not seen him do so much before. Both of those were great hits. Lots more to hitting than wrap around pull shots and strike outs.

Bobby D's gonna have a very tough stretch the next week or so, I suspect. NESN had TC break in with a Casas update after getting a couple more hits. Extra pitcher and extra position player starts what, Monday?

The real shame of this is Connor Wong. He's done very well at the plate this past month, been leading off and they say they like his defense. However, Plawecki is making it known that he can still hit despite the season he's had and McGuire is channeling his best Wade Boggs since coming over from the White Sox. I don't think we can have both Wong and Casas up without releasing someone else. I could be wrong.

I want to see Connor Wong and Mongo told me some good things about him, both hitting and defense.  As for releasing someone , no problem at all.   Brasier should be jettisoned forthwith.  The guy has no movement on any of his pitches and is a target for big hits against most batters.  He should be one of the first ones to go.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 01, 2022, 02:47:25 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 01, 2022, 06:48:26 AM

I want to see Connor Wong and Mongo told me some good things about him, both hitting and defense.  As for releasing someone , no problem at all.   Brasier should be jettisoned forthwith.  The guy has no movement on any of his pitches and is a target for big hits against most batters.  He should be one of the first ones to go.

Wong is called up so let's see what we've got.  I really don't want to see Brasier ever again. 

Sea Dog 23

Maybe a Brasier option now that RH Zack Kelly was called up from Wooster.  He pitched a clean 8th inning on Tuesday at Twins.  It wasnt a hold or save situation, but his arm is probably not toast right now like Brasier.

MongoLikeSox

I saw that Wong and Bazardo were both called up. Bazardo's callup suprised me. I figured Cora had something against him after 2021 ST, but he had some sort of muscle issue on his side and never got going again last year, IIRC. Nothing overpowering, but seemed to at least throw strikes. We'll see. I'm glad he's getting another shot.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 01, 2022, 09:34:40 PM
I saw that Wong and Bazardo were both called up. Bazardo's callup suprised me. I figured Cora had something against him after 2021 ST, but he had some sort of muscle issue on his side and never got going again last year, IIRC. Nothing overpowering, but seemed to at least throw strikes. We'll see. I'm glad he's getting another shot.

Sounds like they'll be moving some guys in and out.  Casas hit another HR last night and I am hopeful we'll see some of him.  Interesting this year as the minors usually wrap up around now but are continuing for a couple of weeks so guys will be able to stay ready. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on September 02, 2022, 07:43:20 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 01, 2022, 09:34:40 PM

Sounds like they'll be moving some guys in and out.  Casas hit another HR last night and I am hopeful we'll see some of him.  Interesting this year as the minors usually wrap up around now but are continuing for a couple of weeks so guys will be able to stay ready.
I saw that, too. Good plan. Looks like they drop the season ends back a week each level down from the previous.I think Salem ends  the weekend after Labor Day, and then Greenville the week after and so on.