GAME #124 - WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24, 2022 - TORONTO BLUE JAYS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, August 24, 2022, 08:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoSoxFanNY

ANOTHER LOSS. 
This team can’t seem to win.
WHAT has happened to JD Martinez’s bat????

They actually had a chance in this game . . .

SeaBeachFred

Shaunessy's story in the Globe made many suggestions which made a lot of sense and one was that Brasier must never pitch in a high leverage situation-so what does the smartest man in the room do?  Cora pitches Brasier in the 10th and we go down again.  The Athletic had a story about the cheating scandal of the Astros that showed the flagrant violations have been shown to have been even worse than formerly thought as new facts have emerged.  To me this Red Sox shit show has a lot of work to do and just getting new players is only a band aid on the problem.  There is no way this team can advance with Alex Cora, who I will always call a filthy rotten cheater,  as manager of the team.  His reputation is shit and he has also lost whatever mojo he had with some of the weirdest and dumbest moves imaginable this season.  He and Bloom have to go, no two ways about it.  If either or both of them are with the team in 2023 we'll be hashing out this same vitriolic anger the same time next season.  When the season is over Henry has to start spending money or do what Angels owner Arte Moreno will do---SELL THE TEAM.  Then both Cora and Bloom must walk the plank.  Then and only then can our team hire the right people, get the right type of ballplayers, get rid of the garbage and under achievers that have ruined our the franchise and hope that within three or four years Red Sox fans will have something to cheer again instead of this rotten shit show that has made all of us cringe in embarrassment and anger.

MongoLikeSox

I understood the strategy for most of last night. Keep us in the game long enough to hopefully score and then hammer it home. It would have been ideal, but I think he really did have to protect Bello and get him out after 5-IP.

It should have worked. Kike was over-anxious, Bobby was scared and guessed wrong, Verdugo decided to not wrap around a pitch to advance a runner at any costs, and Duran decided that he needed to roll over on yet another grounder to the right side of the diamond to kill the middle rally that lasted precisely one pitch. 

There was more than that. Their manager knew which swing and miss guy was coming up would be the most likely to make contact that night and walked him. Pretty bad when we can't protect Franchy Cordero.

Fred, I was thinking the same thing when Brasier popped up onto the mound.

Sea Dog 23

In a way this game and 10 others to the Jays was lost in the off-season, and the one before that.  When MGT sat on their hands and went value added, the Jays added Chapman, a solid 3B this year. They lost Robbie Ray, but went out and added quality pitchers Gausman, Kikuchi and Garcia.  The coup for Toronto is the quality of their draft which matured as their core last year started delivering wins in the ALEast.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 25, 2022, 06:57:39 AM
I understood the strategy for most of last night. Keep us in the game long enough to hopefully score and then hammer it home. It would have been ideal, but I think he really did have to protect Bello and get him out after 5-IP.

It should have worked. Kike was over-anxious, Bobby was scared and guessed wrong, Verdugo decided to not wrap around a pitch to advance a runner at any costs, and Duran decided that he needed to roll over on yet another grounder to the right side of the diamond to kill the middle rally that lasted precisely one pitch. 

There was more than that. Their manager knew which swing and miss guy was coming up would be the most likely to make contact that night and walked him. Pretty bad when we can't protect Franchy Cordero.

Don't forget "warning track" Martinez.  The incredible shrinking Red Sox show their true colors again.  But Bloom thinks things are great.  I just watched the Woodstock 99 documentary on Netflix. It's very similar.  The fans were tearing down stuff, starting fires, playing in crap filled mud around the outhouses, violating women and generally destroying everything in sight and the organizers are telling them "everything is going great", "just a few bad apples", "we're so happy with everything".  They like Baghdad Bloom have no grip on reality.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 25, 2022, 07:21:46 AM
In a way this game and 10 others to the Jays was lost in the off-season, and the one before that.  When MGT sat on their hands and went value added, the Jays added Chapman, a solid 3B this year. They lost Robbie Ray, but went out and added quality pitchers Gausman, Kikuchi and Garcia.  The coup for Toronto is the quality of their draft which matured as their core last year started delivering wins in the ALEast.

Any team they play they talk about how they picked up so and so in the offseason.  Or they're bringing up young guys who are actually ready to contribute at the Major League level.  It's so frustrating to think "yes, but we got JBJ for 4 months". 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on August 25, 2022, 08:02:24 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 25, 2022, 06:57:39 AM

Don't forget "warning track" Martinez.  The incredible shrinking Red Sox show their true colors again.  But Bloom thinks things are great.  I just watched the Woodstock 99 documentary on Netflix. It's very similar.  The fans were tearing down stuff, starting fires, playing in crap filled mud around the outhouses, violating women and generally destroying everything in sight and the organizers are telling them "everything is going great", "just a few bad apples", "we're so happy with everything".  They like Baghdad Bloom have no grip on reality.
I had forgotten about that. One of 3 warning track shots we hit. JD's I thought had a chance. Alas, out towards the end of the bat routine pop up.

I've been chuckling about Baghdad Bloom moniker. Good stuff.

Sea Dog 23

Hey, Bloom is absolutely the Peter Principle in baseball mgt.  But I shudder to think that Bloom is only reading from Henry’s script. My guess is that Bloom will be cheered by FSGroup, and that Cora will be the fall guy for this debacle.