GAME #117 - TUESDAY, AUGUST 16, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Started by markj, August 16, 2022, 08:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

markj

Dammit. I thought maybe Schreiber would get them out of that mess Davis created.

MongoLikeSox

markj

Barnes (!) with a clean 9th to close it out. Somewhat worrisome that the Sox couldn't buy a run after the 2nd inning. Good thing Pivetta was sharp tonight.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 16, 2022, 09:44:56 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 16, 2022, 08:49:30 AM
Looking at the Pirates last couple weeks, they went out to LA and swept the Dodgers iirc. I believe that was before they traded slugger Vogelbach to the Mets and a couple of pitchers to the Cards.

I think the bigger variable here is which Pivetta shows up.

Pivetta showed up tonight to give us our second outstanding start in a row.  Of course we had to have one bullpener try to screw things up for us in the eighth inning giving up three runs, but Barnes of all people pitched a great ninth to secure the win.  These are the games we have to win and we have to keep it up.  When we play our division rivals later in the week and early next week, this time we have to prevail, no excuses allowed.  A very good start tonight to grab a 5-0 lead.  We need to do more of that.

Sea Dog 23

We'll take the win with the O's seeming to be on fire.  A small ball game with I think all singles, coupled with walks and errors.  If we can get Strohm and Houck healthy, we can have a steady September for a final run for the roses.

longgame

Sox continue their mastery over weak teams.  Can it be that simple that they are "the best of the rest"?  Struggle to beat the better teams, beat the crap out of the lesser teams.

elktonnick

Ok the Red Sox beat a Pirates team that would have trouble competing in the International League. In beating the Pirates Sox batters still struggled at the plate.  JDM looks like he is auditioning to play the robot in Lost in Space. Devers is trying hit the ball to the moon on every swing.  So long as the continue to play TripleA  quality teams they should do well.  If however they want to beat contenders their bats need  to wake up.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on August 17, 2022, 08:30:42 AM
Ok the Red Sox beat a Pirates team that would have trouble competing in the International League. In beating the Pirates Sox batters still struggled at the plate.  JDM looks like he is auditioning to play the robot in Lost in Space. Devers is trying hit the ball to the moon on every swing.  So long as the continue to play TripleA  quality teams they should do well.  If however they want to beat contenders their bats need  to wake up.

Need to work on averaging out JDs and Raffy's swings.  At least when Raffy makes contact the ball is going somewhere. 

I think it was amazing that they scored early, a lot based on bad fielding, and then couldn't manage a hit the rest of the way. 

MongoLikeSox

That was my take on the offense last night. Big gifts, 5 runs and another quick game with no hitting the rest of the way out.

I still can't decide if the base clearing double was more of a location miss or a bad pitch call. Had Schreiber made his pitch, would the batter have missed? The batter was waiting for it. Everyone knew it was coming. Still, miss your spot by 8 inches and you pay the price.

Sea Dog 23

Ouch. You’re talking about a Pirates’ team constructed by our own Ben Cherington!  Ole Ben did bring us a 2013 title, but owes some of that to Theo, right?  Congrats to Chavis, he is having a good year, by his standard, hitting.245, .695 ops. The return of Robles and Davis wasn’t a good one.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 17, 2022, 11:29:49 AM

Ouch. You’re talking about a Pirates’ team constructed by our own Ben Cherington!  Ole Ben did bring us a 2013 title, but owes some of that to Theo, right?  Congrats to Chavis, he is having a good year, by his standard, hitting.245, .695 ops. The return of Robles and Davis wasn’t a good one.

Alex Speier of the Globe was hoping Chavis would pinch hit so they could get a matchup of him vs Davis.

Sea Dog 23

As pointed out above, the key Sox are slumping. Some results from the start of August through the Yankee series last weekend,

Xander - .208-1 homer, 4 hits
JD - .205-0-6 - not including 0-2 Tues
Raffi - .167-3-7 - not including 0-3 Tues
Duran - .179-2-8 - not including 0-3 Tues
Hosmer - .192-0-2 - not including 1-3 Tues
Plawecki - .103-0-1