GAME #96 - SUNDAY, JULY 24, 2022 - TORONTO BLUE JAYS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 24, 2022, 10:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on July 25, 2022, 08:14:35 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 25, 2022, 06:55:42 AM
The Sox are 14-31 vs the ALEast, 39-13against the other teams (my math may be a little off).  That is not just bad luck or bad baseball.  IMO it is a lot of “beat dog syndrome”,  the players are flat intimidated playing the division teams.  And that comes down to the manager, where the buck stops.  Bloom started the chain of events with his clown show of moves n the off -season. 

Boston fan my be more interested in Celtics and Durant in July. That should bother Henry.

I'm actually amazed that whenever I listen to Boston talk radio, regardless of the time of year, they want to talk about the Patriots.  I imagine that will change as the Pats enter a stretch where they aren't winning all the time.  The Celtics are hot but Boston runs hot and cold on them, ditto the Bruins.  But the Sox seem to be actively want their fans to go away.
If Henry fails to sign Devers, they will.

MongoLikeSox

I don't know what's said up there, but I'd be far more PO'd if we don't start keeping our key players. Getting additional big names doesn't matter so much to me as keeping our own. Yes, it'd be nice when we're a piece or two away like not getting Encarcione a few years back. I could care less if we pay some has-been $225M to come here despite the many reasons not to sign him. (reasons like sucking in playoffs, sucking against our arch-rivals, being mean to Papi, etc.)

When we need some final pieces, there's a big wide gap between some jerk wanting it all and the bargain basement. Just sayin'. I don't want to be the Yankees just as much as I don't want to be the Rays.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 25, 2022, 04:19:33 PM
I don't know what's said up there, but I'd be far more PO'd if we don't start keeping our key players. Getting additional big names doesn't matter so much to me as keeping our own. Yes, it'd be nice when we're a piece or two away like not getting Encarcione a few years back. I could care less if we pay some has-been $225M to come here despite the many reasons not to sign him. (reasons like sucking in playoffs, sucking against our arch-rivals, being mean to Papi, etc.)

When we need some final pieces, there's a big wide gap between some jerk wanting it all and the bargain basement. Just sayin'. I don't want to be the Yankees just as much as I don't want to be the Rays.

That has been the fatal flaw of late.  From Beni to Betts, going back to Fisk and Lynn, they don't sign players the fans love and want to see.  Sports runs on generations of fans following them.  I've seen it with the Panthers who used to have all opposing team fans at all of their games but now young families have grown up as Panthers fans.  Fans don't want to cheer for laundry, they want hometown heroes.

Sea Dog 23

Theres another dynamic to passing up and not extending our home grown stars.  Supposedly we outbid the Cubs for the Japanese OF Suzuki, outbid the Yanks for Corey Kuber a Mass native.  There's groups of players who likely don't want to play in Boston for whatever price.  The management team has to be proactive.  Like Ted said, you can't try to dictate the market, the players mostly determine the market.  And probably there's still some resentment of the owners/our owner, from the lockout.