GAME #93 - SUNDAY, JULY 17, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by markj, July 17, 2022, 10:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

I saw Sale and Eovaldi talking after Sale came back out to the pitcher's dugout area. He was laughing with Eovaldi about something. I'm not sure he's in that much emotional despair. The team, however, is another issue. After working their way up from the basement to 2nd place and now crashing down again, they have to be seriously bummed. Everyone was worried that they couldn't deal with this long AL East stint and it proved true. 

Quote“I’m not broken anymore,” Sale said. “It’s different this year. It’s definitely different this year. That’s all I’ve really got to say.”

Maybe not so different. sigh

elktonnick

In my humble opinion Chaim Bloom is guilt of baseball malpractice.  Hetook ateam that was two games from the world series and DECONSTRUCTED it into a less than mediocre team with some legitimate major leagues but mostly Triple A players.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on July 17, 2022, 05:47:58 PM
In my humble opinion Chaim Bloom is guilt of baseball malpractice.  Hetook ateam that was two games from the world series and DECONSTRUCTED it into a less than mediocre team with some legitimate major leagues but mostly Triple A players.

Build something with broken parts it’s likely to break.   They’ve gone from the best Red Sox team ever in 2018 to wallowing around in pity.

Sea Dog 23

What irks me in this, Henry will claim buyers remorse, not admit that Bloom is a failure, and then allow Bloom to sell off most of the Sox assets this year, then allow Bloom to be the architect of Boston 2023-2025.  Insane.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on July 17, 2022, 01:01:52 PM
Sale gets nailed. That comeback didn't last long. He'll be done for the season again.

A walking MASH unit all by himself.  He'd done this year and I wonder just when the hell he is going to give us a decent season again.  It isn't like we don't need him considering the shit we have for pitching, and boy or boy, didn't that glow of Friday night come  tumbling down fast?  Sad to say but this team stinks like a sewer at high  tide.  But Prune Face's pet, Bradshitley got a hit today so we will have to put up with him in the lineup for another mon th at least. Cordero must be sent down.  He simply can't to anything now but strike out---three more times today.  If he was a horse I'd shoot him.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on July 17, 2022, 01:15:10 PM
Devers throwing error cost them runs as well.
THIS will be a long, sad game . . .

SO FAR, JULY has been a bad month . . .

There's different opinions about Devers as a third baseman but I can see that he hasn't improved much there since he was b rought up in 2017.  He is a DH and if he leaves the team that's what some smart team will do with him in my opinion.   Then watch him hit 50 homers.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on July 17, 2022, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: longgame on July 17, 2022, 02:39:02 PM
I have to think this is it for this team.  I was somewhat hopeful they could pull something together but the way they wilt in the face of anyone with a winning record is tough to watch.  Then there's the whole part about this team just not being put together well.  If Sale's finger is broken, there's not much chance we'll see him for at least 6 weeks.  If it's only dislocated maybe 4?  But that means they still don't have a rotation and the hopes for one depend on Eovaldi and Pivetta who has gone in the toilet and then hope Wacha and Hill are better than serviceable.  Then there's the offense which has trouble getting going on too many nights.  Downs hitting a HR was a nice upside, but getting nothing out of at least 2 guys, night after night, catches up with you.  When it's only 3 guys hitting at all, forget about it.

So what do you do?  This started on yesterday's thread I think, but someone has to go.  Not sure if it's Cora as he has nothing to work with, but I don't think Henry can admit his mistake in hiring Bloom, who I consider a failure.  If they plan to let Cora going, then start dealing.  Everyone but Devers on the table at this point.  Is there anyone else on this team that would upset you if you saw them in another uniform?

Well it will get worse before it gets better. Only everyday players under contract for 2023 are Verdugo, Duran, Devers, Story & I guess Dalbec. Team will need a complete rebuild if some of our free agents don't re-sign.

Those five players are a start and there is a little talent there but pitching, pitching and more pitching is needed. I nearly threw up when I saw the Red Sox draft a skinny weak hitting shortstop with their first round pick tonight (NO. 24)  We already have Marcelo Mayer there within two or three years and Nick Yorke for either second or third if Devers leaves or becomes our DH.  I like Verdugo, Story and Duran and I see them getting better but we have a lot of trash on this team.  Cora and Bloom both have to go.  One's a FRC and the other is a  total clusterf#$k.  Back up the truck and put Bradley and French Fry on first.

SeaBeachFred

Trading a 30 homer , 100 RBI power hitter for a piece of shit like Bradley is reason enough to fire Bloom, a  total incompetent, but if we let that FRC back at manager the job of  rebuilding our team is still in jeopardy because it seems just about everything Cora does seems to blow up in his face.  Both he and Bloom need to go and take Bradley and Cordero with them, each of whom is a favorite of both  baboons posing as baseball men.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 17, 2022, 09:16:49 PM

Trading a 30 homer , 100 RBI power hitter for a piece of shit like Bradley is reason enough to fire Bloom, a  total incompetent, but if we let that FRC back at manager the job of  rebuilding our team is still in jeopardy because it seems just about everything Cora does seems to blow up in his face.  Both he and Bloom need to go and take Bradley and Cordero with them, each of whom is a favorite of both  baboons posing as baseball men.

Therein lies another problem, giving Bloom command of trades at the deadline.  Bogey for a bag of balls?  Since Sox are Zero for 2022 in series wins against ALEast, they are sure to be sellers next couple weeks.  Bogey's agent Boras appears to be asking for 8/$240m. Henry's Sox wont pay that.

MongoLikeSox

Interesting. The 8/$240M does not sound outrageous as some others we've seen around the league. He'll be 30 years old at the start of that contract. He still runs well and makes his plays. His age 37 season would be the last year of the contract. There's a lot of plus in this for the Red Sox.

This makes MUCH more since than that monster deal on David Price.

I can't imagine what Juan Soto must be thinking of himself at the moment. That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 18, 2022, 09:57:33 AM
Interesting. The 8/$240M does not sound outrageous as some others we've seen around the league. He'll be 30 years old at the start of that contract. He still runs well and makes his plays. His age 37 season would be the last year of the contract. There's a lot of plus in this for the Red Sox.

I can't imagine what Juan Soto must be thinking of himself at the moment. That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

I think that's a reasonable contract and you have to weigh it against what you're going to get if you don't pay that for the most important part of your infield.  Trevor Story may be a better fielder, but he's basically JBJ with a little pop. 

Soto was looking at the average annual value and also probably wondering whether he wants to play 15 years losing in Washington.  I bet he'd take that offer from the Yankees. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on July 18, 2022, 11:35:33 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 18, 2022, 09:57:33 AM

I think that's a reasonable contract and you have to weigh it against what you're going to get if you don't pay that for the most important part of your infield.  Trevor Story may be a better fielder, but he's basically JBJ with a little pop. 

Soto was looking at the average annual value and also probably wondering whether he wants to play 15 years losing in Washington.  I bet he'd take that offer from the Yankees.
I agree with all of that. The AAV was the obvious negative to me on Soto's deal, but that's a LOT of risk for ensuring no freak blood disease like Rocco Baldelli had, or an injury or whatever it was that Albert Belle had that ended his career.

Then again, he just needs to enter and win 440 more home run derbies and he's there. LOL

longgame

LOL, But seriously, he'll be looking at what $35M per year for 10 years?  I think he'll manage to get by with that.  What I don't get with a lot of these guys is how they miss out on the sponsorship money that comes with staying in one place and being a stud.  Maybe that money just doesn't move the needle any more but it seems like Ortiz for instance is everywhere. I would think you could make a lot more for the rest of your life if you commit to a team and become part of a city. 

Sea Dog 23

This week the Sox inquired about 1B Dominic Smith of the Mets.  A situational player, up and down to AAA, batting from.180 - .200.  Dalbec may not be a Sox next week.  It is what it is.

On the Bogey affair, if he is intent on rejecting all offers sand opt out, there are a couple SS available as free agents.  Dansby Swanson and Trea Turner.  Story stays at 2B.  What is crazy for the fans, Swanson or Turner will cost close to what Bogey is asking for in salary and years.Alas this seems to be the look in all sports, constant turnover of the teams' star players.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 21, 2022, 05:46:22 AM
This week the Sox inquired about 1B Dominic Smith of the Mets.  A situational player, up and down to AAA, batting from.180 - .200.  Dalbec may not be a Sox next week.  It is what it is.

On the Bogey affair, if he is intent on rejecting all offers sand opt out, there are a couple SS available as free agents.  Dansby Swanson and Trea Turner.  Story stays at 2B.  What is crazy for the fans, Swanson or Turner will cost close to what Bogey is asking for in salary and years.Alas this seems to be the look in all sports, constant turnover of the teams' star players.
A lefty bat that has slid down hard the past two years. As Eck would say, he fell out of his tree. This one is a Franchy replacement, if anything. This isn't exactly the splash that saves Bloom's Job. On the surface, at least.