5. Matt Carpenter (L) DH
6. Aaron Hicks (S) LF
7. Isiah Kiner-Falefa (R) SS
8. Tim Locastro (R) RF
9. Kyle Higashioka (R) C

Gametime Temp: 83°F
Chance of Precip: 2%

markj

Sale gets nailed. That comeback didn't last long. He'll be done for the season again.

BoSoxFanNY

Devers throwing error cost them runs as well.
THIS will be a long, sad game . . .

SO FAR, JULY has been a bad month . . .

longgame

markj

BoSoxFanNY

IF, IF, IF

IF DEVERS had cleanly thrown out the runner going home.
2 outs, no runs.
NEXT batter grounds out.
OUT of inning - no runs, no Aaron Hicks hitting a ball off Sale's finger . . .

I KNOW, no IFs in baseball - but, DANG IT.

THIS team teased me mid May - June.
THOUGHT, maybe, just maybe they could play well
and be in the wild card race all summer.

Jays look like they will win today.
Possible Rays will as well.

WE are sadly in 4th place in the AL EAST.

Sea Dog 23

The Mariners and O’s ar playing lights out.

Todays game, what a punch in the gut.

longgame

I have to think this is it for this team.  I was somewhat hopeful they could pull something together but the way they wilt in the face of anyone with a winning record is tough to watch.  Then there's the whole part about this team just not being put together well.  If Sale's finger is broken, there's not much chance we'll see him for at least 6 weeks.  If it's only dislocated maybe 4?  But that means they still don't have a rotation and the hopes for one depend on Eovaldi and Pivetta who has gone in the toilet and then hope Wacha and Hill are better than serviceable.  Then there's the offense which has trouble getting going on too many nights.  Downs hitting a HR was a nice upside, but getting nothing out of at least 2 guys, night after night, catches up with you.  When it's only 3 guys hitting at all, forget about it.

So what do you do?  This started on yesterday's thread I think, but someone has to go.  Not sure if it's Cora as he has nothing to work with, but I don't think Henry can admit his mistake in hiring Bloom, who I consider a failure.  If they plan to let Cora going, then start dealing.  Everyone but Devers on the table at this point.  Is there anyone else on this team that would upset you if you saw them in another uniform?

Schloicka

Quote from: longgame on July 17, 2022, 02:39:02 PM
I have to think this is it for this team.  I was somewhat hopeful they could pull something together but the way they wilt in the face of anyone with a winning record is tough to watch.  Then there's the whole part about this team just not being put together well.  If Sale's finger is broken, there's not much chance we'll see him for at least 6 weeks.  If it's only dislocated maybe 4?  But that means they still don't have a rotation and the hopes for one depend on Eovaldi and Pivetta who has gone in the toilet and then hope Wacha and Hill are better than serviceable.  Then there's the offense which has trouble getting going on too many nights.  Downs hitting a HR was a nice upside, but getting nothing out of at least 2 guys, night after night, catches up with you.  When it's only 3 guys hitting at all, forget about it.

So what do you do?  This started on yesterday's thread I think, but someone has to go.  Not sure if it's Cora as he has nothing to work with, but I don't think Henry can admit his mistake in hiring Bloom, who I consider a failure.  If they plan to let Cora going, then start dealing.  Everyone but Devers on the table at this point.  Is there anyone else on this team that would upset you if you saw them in another uniform?

Well it will get worse before it gets better. Only everyday players under contract for 2023 are Verdugo, Duran, Devers, Story & I guess Dalbec. Team will need a complete rebuild if some of our free agents don't re-sign.

longgame

QuoteVerdugo, Duran, Devers, Story

Sounds like a good starting point. 

markj

Diekman pitches one inning and needs 39 pitches to do it while giving up 4 runs. I think JBJ had better numbers the other night.

Sea Dog 23

The words from ESPN. Sale did suffer a break.  As said above, I cant imagine coming out of an ASB after this.

markj

markj

Ugh, outscored 27-3 in the last 2 games. That's as bad as it gets.

MongoLikeSox

I lasted longer today than I should have.

The Sale getting nailed thing was a tough, butter pill to swallow. I don't really mean from a fan perspective so much as the emotional despair he's got to be going through right now.

I don't need to remind anyone of when both of these awful stretches happened this season. Things happen. They did not respond well and it spiraled out of control each time.

No depth is killing us. Injuries, etc. This might not be the team to trade the future on. Too many holes. We've seen this team falter big time twice, and each time was big swing disease from players pressing for various reasons.