GAME #89 - WEDNESDAY, JULY 13, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by markj, July 13, 2022, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Pitching notwithstanding no team will win the way these guys are hitting.  Too many non productive at bats.  Someone please  put Bobby Dalbec out of my misery.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 14, 2022, 04:37:43 AM
I saw that Winchowski ranks 369 out of 374 pitchers in getting a swing and miss.  As they would say, he doesn't have an out pitch.

Yep, there are some dreadful  out there. We 're 11-23 vs ALEast and 31-14 central andwest.  If our reliable pitchers are slow coming back, there won't be a wild card.  As said, could we even win two straight games post season?

Interesting point about Ski.  This is supposed to have been one of Bloom's strengths, being able to judge young talent as they seem always to do in Tampa, but it looks more and more like we got the one dud in their organization instead of one of the many smart ones they have developing pitching and young talent.  With cheap bastard owner Pruney, Bloom and that FRC as manager we have the newest and sickest version of the Three Stooges.

longgame

Not sure what I'm missing but Winchowski pitched pretty well last night I thought.  6IP, 3ERs, 5Ks.  He's got an ERA of 4.28 which isn't terrible.  He has the problem a lot of young pitchers has - he gets lit up a little and gets a little panicked, but if he had some defense behind him he'd be better off.  Bello has had a total of 2 starts and is a kid with not much AAA time even.  Most of these guys are being pushed in there due to injury, but the bullpen guys that stink are almost all via trades.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on July 14, 2022, 12:39:37 PM
Not sure what I'm missing but Winchowski pitched pretty well last night I thought.  6IP, 3ERs, 5Ks.  He's got an ERA of 4.28 which isn't terrible.  He has the problem a lot of young pitchers has - he gets lit up a little and gets a little panicked, but if he had some defense behind him he'd be better off.  Bello has had a total of 2 starts and is a kid with not much AAA time even.  Most of these guys are being pushed in there due to injury, but the bullpen guys that stink are almost all via trades.
I agree on both counts. Bello was emergency. Ancillary benefits of being able to internalize what his coaches are telling wont fly when he gets to the bigs.
I think Winckowski had one awful outing while the rest were either god or at lest serviceable. This game was still a quality start. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 15, 2022, 09:10:34 PM
Quote from: longgame on July 14, 2022, 12:39:37 PM
I agree on both counts. Bello was emergency. Ancillary benefits of being able to internalize what his coaches are telling wont fly when he gets to the bigs.
I think Winckowski had one awful outing while the rest were either god or at lest serviceable. This game was still a quality start.

To Ted and Mongo, I am and can be very critical of our players and team when we seem to be shitting the bed.  Ski did ok but he could have pitched better in my opinion because we need some of our young pitchers to start lighting up the diamond with some superb pitching.  Hopefully that comes soon with even better performances.  To me we need three young pitchers  going out there and showing that they can be future stalwarts for the Red Sox.  We need to see developed pitchers coming from the farm system like we had in Lester and Papelbon, pi tchers who have the ability to shut other teams down and often.