5. Randy Arozarena (R) LF
6. Ji-Man Choi (L) 1B
7. Taylor Walls (S) SS
8. Yu Chang (R) 2B
9. Brett Phillips (L) CF

Gametime Temp: 88°F
Chance of Precip: 2%

markj

Sale vs Kluber. Back to the pros at last. Let's hope Sale is his former self.

Sea Dog 23

My concern is, can Sale go more than 4 innings. Pivetta only got 3.1 IP on Sunday.  Our pen is no doubt out of gas.  We need 10 runs every game.

Better news, Eovaldi looks to be slated the starter atNY on Friday. And Whitlock will also be added for that game. Those exiting are Valdez and Bello â€"- I’m guessing.

longgame

Pumpsie Green

Quote from: markj on July 12, 2022, 08:48:48 AM

Sale is still in the process of getting his feet wet again. I expect his control and command to be off and that we will need to score a bundle of runs if we are going to win this game. After another 5-6 starts we should have a better idea of what Sale has to offer us.

longgame

Quote from: Pumpsie Green on July 12, 2022, 12:37:15 PM
Quote from: markj on July 12, 2022, 08:48:48 AM

Sale is still in the process of getting his feet wet again. I expect his control and command to be off and that we will need to score a bundle of runs if we are going to win this game. After another 5-6 starts we should have a better idea of what Sale has to offer us.

It will be interesting to see how he's throwing.  In Worcester he didn't have his usual command but was also throwing 97.  A lot of guys get a little giddyup after TJ surgery, but he'd be better off slinging it at 95 and putting it where he wants it to go.  Once he can do that he'll be ready to go.  I don't have much in the way of expectations but hope he can give us 5 innings without too much trouble.  But like you said, they'll need to score - and not cough up runs like last night. 

Sea Dog 23

End of the 4th, no score. Sale has pitched well, giving 3 hits.  But the Sox have no hits so far.  There’s an old adage on Bosoxboard, ‘Sox never give Sale any run support’. Same as it ever was.

markj

I don't believe what I just saw. Of all the stupid moves, what was Strahm thinking? He'll have time to think about that one during his stint on the IL. And then Cordero makes it worse. What a way to screw up a great comeback outing by Sale.

longgame

Quote from: markj on July 12, 2022, 08:05:49 PM
I don't believe what I just saw. Of all the stupid moves, what was Strahm thinking? He'll have time to think about that one during his stint on the IL. And then Cordero makes it worse. What a way to screw up a great comeback outing by Sale.

That fell apart quick.  What a shame, Sale exceeded expectations and it was a good ballgame up until this inning.

MongoLikeSox

markj

MongoLikeSox

What a call by Cash, though. You don't see that hold the runner on 3rd play often. He took that play away and Cora bit anyhow. 3Bman got in the way, too, but Verdugo was a dead duck anyways.

Ort used for 3 straight nights. 3 pitches.

And Jermais just got on and said both out bruised players are getting xray'd later. Frickin groovy. I thought the big league parks all had that on site? There still could be serious injury implications. 

markj

MongoLikeSox

So, Brasier comes out and looks like crap. he finally toughens up and pitches. One out away from getting out of it. Cora lifts him. Why doesn't he ever recognize when his struggling pitcher has recovered from the initial crap outing? It's like he makes up his mind when he gets someone warming up and that's the end of it. Brasier had just thrown a great slider and as good a heater as can be asked of him.

And nobody thought to reign in or otherwise coach our new #2 hitter with the 1st baserunner of the game. 1st pitch GIDP. Vasquez can be so great at one moment and so boneheaded at other times.

markj

That was a game they should have won and didn't because of one dumb move after another.