GAME #85 - SATURDAY, JULY 9, 2022 - NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 09, 2022, 09:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoSoxFanNY

BOTH the Rays and Jays lost again.
RED SOX are still in second place in the AL EAST.
Rays losing to the Reds
Jays losing to the Mariners

MongoLikeSox

Lost in all the thrilling win last night was quite a few happenings on the Roster.

- Feliz got DFA'd (possible he's back in worcester if he clears)
- Arroyo on 10-day IL with groin strain.
- Downs up, as we all know
- Kaleb Ort, the Worcester Closer for the past couple seasons finally got his 40-man spot and a call-up to Boston. Good for him. 30 years old. He got into a game last year, but I have no memory of it or how he threw.
- Hansel cleared waivers and the 'Sox released him.
- Seabold on the IL to no-one's surprise.

The big negative news is that Kike did his 4AB's as DH on his Worcester rehab assignment on Friday. He was supposed to start in CF on Saturday, but woke up sore. I think the term used on MLB.com was "Limbo". A few more weeks for Duran.

Darwinzon threw another scoreless and WALKLESS inning. He did give up one hit.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 10, 2022, 08:42:37 AM
Lost in all the thrilling win last night was quite a few happenings on the Roster.

- Kaleb Ort, the Worcester Closer for the past couple seasons finally got his 40-man spot and a call-up to Boston. Good for him. 30 years old. He got into a game last year, but I have no memory of it or how he threw.

The big negative news is that Kike did his 4AB's as DH on his Worcester rehab assignment on Friday. He was supposed to start in CF on Saturday, but woke up sore. I think the term used on MLB.com was "Limbo". A few more weeks for Duran.

You can pur Ort on the list of ex-Yanks picked up by Bloom, along wit!h Whitlock and German.  Last night he celebratedvthe deal with LA for Duggy and Downs.  The guy is a genius.  haha!

SeaBeachFred

To put Kiki back in the lineup at the expense of Duran is both ludicrous and stupid.  Kiki has a career year last season but he was never a regular with the Dodgers and this year he reverted to what he used to be when he did start for a few weeks at a time.  He has no real future for a team that whether it wants to admit it or not is in a rebuilding mode.  Duran gives us a leadoff man who gets on base, steals bases and has shown he can hit in the Majors.  Why the Red Sox keep shooting themelves in the foot with dumb decisions like this is why they are a team that can never seem to keep building their winning ways but seem to dissolve after a banner year as they did after 2018.

longgame

Robles was also officially released. 

I don't think that Kike having a setback is a bad news.  Best news is he stays out as the Sox now have 2 OFs who are better than him with Duran and Refsnyder.  If Hernandez comes back, the corresponding move should be to dump JBJ. 

I couldn't find "late and close" stats on Bogey but his averages with men on base, etc. are all better than the MLB average.  But I agree with you because we've all seen it that he's just not the guy that rises to the big occasion.  Verdugo lives for those moments so becomes better in those moments.  Vazquez is becoming that kind of guy too, although sometimes I think these guys get hot and then think hitting is easy.  Speaking of hot, they made a good point last night that Verdugo had been on a 13 game hit streak I think it was, then sat a night and didn't hit for a few games.  Why sit a guy when he's hot? One more thing, what's up with Warning Track Martinez?  I love that we've got guys hitting at a good clip, but we need some power to get some runs on the board in bunches. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 10, 2022, 09:29:20 AM

You can pur Ort on the list of ex-Yanks picked up by Bloom, along wit!h Whitlock and German.  Last night he celebratedvthe deal with LA for Duggy and Downs.  The guy is a genius.  haha!
I had no idea Ort was a Yankee's product, too. I think I remembered he was a minor league rule-5 guy. I'm glad he had a good night last night.

MongoLikeSox

Fred and Longgame, I agree that Duran is part of the future and should be part of this right now.

Bogey's hitting .258 with RISP this season. 2 outs, RISP is .121. Something called "Late and Close" is .222. More stats on Baseball Reference's "Splits" section for Bogey here.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=bogaexa01&year=2022&t=b

Vasquez's love of flair and looking like a big star leaves him undisciplined at times. Twice now in the past week or so he watched a wall ball instead of running his butt off and made it too close at 2nd. I think he got thrown out on a similar play on the road, but that could have been someone else. Otherwise, I am in his camp and thought he was under-rated offensive potential back in 2017 when he start going the other way at times.

As far as going the other way, if XB would stop selling out to pull side, his numbers we discussed above might improve big time. He's taken that out of his game from what I can see. He can hit opposite field as well as anyone.