Started by markj, July 07, 2022, 09:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoSoxFanNY

DEVERS is making this game interesting.
SECOND HOME RUN of the game -
Devers has all 5 RBIs
Yankees 6 - Sox 5

markj

On the other hand, Devers can keep swingin like that all he wants.  rofl thumb_u

longgame

Raffy has them on his shoulders, but he needs some help.  Still, down 1 to Cole isn’t bad at this point.  Would have been nice if they had been able to keep the Yankees in the park though. 

MongoLikeSox

Raffy's monster swings have been so much more in control this year. Downright impressive. He had a couple a little crazy on the road trip. One in particular on Sunday, IIRC.

Oh, and in case y'all missed it, Cora sends another BP arm to the IL - Tyler Danish. 2 innings - 2 nights in a row. You can't make this stuff up.

markj

Lot of 0-fers tonight. This game would be embarrassing if it weren't for Raffy.

markj

Oh well, I guess we should be grateful Raffy was on tonight so we didn't get shut out.

BoSoxFanNY

Yankees beat the Sox 6 - 5.

I had lost hope after the 5 - 0 score,
but . . .  when Raffy made the score
6 - 5 . . .  I thought, maybe just maybe . . .

NOPE.

The relief pitchers kept the Yankees scoreless for 4 innings.

MongoLikeSox

Another bad night. The whole team is pressing still. They heard the talk for a month. I hope they get out of it sooner than later.

Winckowski rebounded after those two rough innings and competed and finished well instead of folding. All last year we bitched about Cora not letting these kids learn. He has no choice now with his bullpen being taxed. Winckowski got some serious schooling last night. A decent silver lining.

Some nasty Yankees pitching, for sure. I was hoping that Holmes was a flash in the pan last year. They're doing all this with Chapman hitting the skids and Britton out on 60-day IL.

longgame

Any word on when Eovaldi comes back?  I saw something about an outing coming up in Worcester, maybe next week? 

It's going to be a tough stretch when almost the entire starting rotation is on the IL.  Right now Wacha is about to go on, Hill, Eovaldi, Whitlock and Sale are on it.  That leaves them with Pivetta as the only starter from the beginning of the year right now.  You can't win with a minor league rotation and it's showing now.  It of course would help if they start hitting again, but they can't keep giving up the lead early.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 08, 2022, 09:01:53 AM
Another bad night. The whole team is pressing still. They heard the talk for a month. I hope they get out of it sooner than later.

Winckowski rebounded after those two rough innings and competed and finished well instead of folding. All last year we bitched about Cora not letting these kids learn. He has no choice now with his bullpen being taxed. Winckowski got some serious schooling last night. A decent silver lining.

Some nasty Yankees pitching, for sure. I was hoping that Holmes was a flash in the pan last year. They're doing all this with Chapman hitting the skids and Britton out on 60-day IL.

Holmes with his 98mph sinker and decent command is a beast.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on July 08, 2022, 09:02:19 AM
Any word on when Eovaldi comes back?  I saw something about an outing coming up in Worcester, maybe next week? 

It's going to be a tough stretch when almost the entire starting rotation is on the IL.  Right now Wacha is about to go on, Hill, Eovaldi, Whitlock and Sale are on it.  That leaves them with Pivetta as the only starter from the beginning of the year right now.  You can't win with a minor league rotation and it's showing now.  It of course would help if they start hitting again, but they can't keep giving up the lead early.
MLB site says:
- Eovaldi starts a Worcester rehab soon, too. They have him listed as coming back in time for next weekend's Yankees' series.
- They also said Seabold is getting the start today. (gulp) Wacha hitting the IL is likely. Retro'd date, of course.
- Whitlock and Kike start rehab assignments in AAA tonight. 
- We all obviously know about Sale. I don't share the confidence that OB shows. I hope OB is right, though.
- Josh Taylor had a horrible rebound trying to do the back to back appearances thing. 1/3rd inning, 4 hits, 2 runs.

Couple of other notes from the MLB site:
- Barnes might do his rehab in FCL next week.
- Hill is listed as late July, early August.

Sea Dog 23

Will we be18-20 games out by the ASB?  The team looked so good a week ago against the crappy teams. HA!

longgame

So best case is we have Sale and Eovaldi in the rotation next week, which will be helpful.  Losing Wacha and Hill hurts as they would have been in good shape with the other two coming back.  Bullpen still stinks but gets better with Whitlock, although I hope that just doesn't mean Cora gives someone a quick hook once a week and that's all we get out of Whitlock is long relief after falling behind. 

Offensively, they have to freaking wake up.  I remain amazed how this whole team goes cold at the same time, at least except for Raffy.  Plus the defense got sloppy.