What's would YOU do?

Started by MongoLikeSox, June 28, 2022, 09:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

(Below assumes we go for it. it also assumes we will not have Casas in time to make a run for the playoffs and beyond, and that we gain 2-3 of the possible 5 injured and up and coming starting pitchers in time to make an impact on our decisions. )

So, trade deadline month is upon us. 35 days to go. One way or another, we need:
1: At least one solid big time bullpen guy.
2: Improved 1B situation
3: Improved RF situation 

What would you do? (choose none, some, any, add your own - fire away.)
#1: Trade Duran, or place him atop the lineup and give him the keys to CF?
#2: Trade Houck, give him the closer's job going forward, acquire a closer and move Houck to 7th-8th inning?
#3: Whitlock to the late inning mix back in the rotation?
#4: Trade a blue chip or two (Bello, Meyer, Casas?) with a couple midling prospect package for a front line player with 2 more years of control? If so, which need do you fill?
#5: How do you go forward with JBJ?
#6: Do you keep both of the current RF and 1B rotations in place?
#7: Do you give Dalbec or Franchy the 1B job everyday for the next 3 weeks to see if he regains his power stroke?
#8: Do you trade a potential rental starter to a team in need to solve one of the problems? (Eovaldi, Wacha, Hill)
#9: Do you cut your losses and trade Bogey?
#10: Do you cut your losses and trade Devers?
#11: Do you cut your losses on JDM or Vasquez?
#12: Do you upgrade the backup catcher spot, or do you like Wong coming up?
#13: Do you put together a package akin to the Yankees deal for Joey Gallo last year? (4 top-30 prospects who were blocked at the big leagues level, but in danger of being lost to rule-5)
#14: Do you bank on either Robles or Barnes regaining form?
#15: Are you counting on Kike to return and provide something of high value?
#16: Say it's World Series time. Your choices at 1B are Dalbec and Franchy. Are you comfortable on this stage with either of them?

It's hard to imagine just how good this team could be with even just a couple of key moves, and we have chips to sit at the table this year.

longgame

I think it's a great opportunity to strike but I don't think that Bloom and Henry share that attitude.  My philosophy is if you have a shot, go for it.  There's seems to be some nebulous long term, "we'll be consistent someday" goal without spending money and I don't think that's a workable model.  The one argument against may be that yes, they're good, but does it make sense to go all in when the Yankees are such a juggernaut so far this year? 

As for specifics - I wouldn't cry to see JBJ or Kike go. I like Duran and want him to be the every day CF.  JBJ has a -0.3 WAR and Kike is a 0.3.  For that matter Verdugo is a 0.2 but he brings a lot of positive energy that I don't get in those other two.  That tells me they need to upgrade the OF somewhere and they have an answer in CF with Duran. 

At 1B, I don't see any reason to think that Dalbec has a long career ahead of him in MLB. If they can package him and whoever else to get any one of those three needs they should do it.  I really like Bello but I try not to be too attached to any prospects as even the best remain long shots.  I mentioned the other day that a RH bat that complements Franchy in RF/1B may make some sense.   

My guess is that the Sox are eternal optimists when it comes to the bullpen and between guys like Sale coming back and their faith in guys like Barnes they may not make a move, but I think it's critical they find a way to make the 9th inning less dramatic. 

Pumpsie Green

Bradley is now 0 for his last 26. He is exactly who we thought he would be. He doesn't belong on a ML team. We have Refsnider and Duran, both of whom can play the OF and can hit a bit too.
Henry has returned to his penny pinching ways so don't look for a major infusion of talent via trade. We certainly need one or two reliable RH RPs if we are going to make it into October.

markj

Pumpsie!! Welcome back, friend. Would love to see you here more often.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Pumpsie Green on June 30, 2022, 10:32:03 AM
Bradley is now 0 for his last 26. He is exactly who we thought he would be. He doesn't belong on a ML team. We have Refsnider and Duran, both of whom can play the OF and can hit a bit too.
Henry has returned to his penny pinching ways so don't look for a major infusion of talent via trade. We certainly need one or two reliable RH RPs if we are going to make it into October.

We've all missed you here Pumpsie, and on this board almost to a man we want Bradley out of that lineup once and for all.  What does it take to get the front office and Bradley's surrogate Dady prune face convinced that this guy simply is an elephant in the garden with respect to his handling a starting position with his balsa wood bat.  He needs to go, either as a fourth outfielder PERMANENTLY  or somewhere else where within a year or so he will be released from that team too..... But good to have you here.  Wonder what happened to your "pal" r-karp.  The guy has just disappeared from sight on the other board and hasn't posted here in over a year.

Sea Dog 23

As far as the moves MGT would make before the deadline,  a good opportunity I saw was 1B Josh Bell of the Nats.  Good hitter, would cost possibly.Dalbec and Downs or Dalbec and Duran.

Wouldnt surprise if Bloom borrowed frm his Tampa playbook and traded Bogey for a pitcher and prospects.

I think the relief pitching revamp is all in-house.  Taylor probably returns inside two weeks.  Whitlock goes to the pen on his return, and German may be the best new reliever in our system waiting his turn.  The scraps like Barnes and Brasier get traded in a package including a couple  prospects to clear room on the 40 man.

elktonnick

Quote from: Pumpsie Green on June 30, 2022, 10:32:03 AM

Welcome back Pumpsie hope to read more of your posts.  I do not know any one on this board who doesn't think JBJ belongs elsewhere or as a late inning defensive replacement.

longgame

Sale went 4 innings, throwing strikes and striking out 7 last night.  A couple of starts and he'll be back which can't hurt. 

Sea Dog 23

Bello on his way to Boston, finally.  In his own words, he wants to be the next Pedro. And he is set to pitch on Wednesday.

The Boston Red Sox will turn to promising young right-hander Brayan Bello to start on Wednesday against the Tampa Bay Rays, Bello confirmed to MassLive.com. Manager Alex Cora told reporters Monday that Bello was a candidate to get the nod.

Bello, 23, has improved his stock dating to last year. In 15 appearances split between Double- and Triple-A this season, he's amassed a 2.33 ERA and a 3.45 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Bello was recently ranked by Baseball America as the fourth best prospect in Boston's farm system, noting that he has mid-rotation upside thanks to an arsenal that includes an above-average fastball and slider and a plus changeup.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red-sox-to-promote-touted-pitching-prospect-brayan-bello-to-make-mlb-debut-vs-rays/

MongoLikeSox

I've seen Bell's name pop up, too. He's a one year rental having a career year with the batting average. Being a switch hitter is usually a plus. That said, there is NO WAY on Earth I let Duran go for him. It will take a very good prospect plus either one mid level prospect or Dalbec.

I could let Duran go, but it's gotta be a really sweet deal. That's a whole lot of proven ready now talent and a whole lot of control to give a way on a rental. He is good enough to go forward for us.

On Frank German, he's got one giant arm. Last I saw of him a few weeks back, he was all over the place. I think he's settled down from that a little bit based only on stats. He has given up some runs recently, though. Not quite yet with him, I don't think.

I'm with everyone else using JBJ as a defensive replacement type.

If Houck is not getting Vaxed, he's my number one trading chip - and a big one. As with Duran, he's proven ready now and has a ton of control left.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 30, 2022, 06:57:08 PM
I think the relief pitching revamp is all in-house.  Taylor probably returns inside two weeks.  Whitlock goes to the pen on his return, and German may be the best new reliever in our system waiting his turn.  The scraps like Barnes and Brasier get traded in a package including a couple  prospects to clear room on the 40 man.
I think it now could be in house, too. Some of it. I was not there until yesterday. I need to see Crawford another time or two to be sure, but he's legit if that curveball is legit and now part of his otherwise hard throwing arsenal. He can chew innings. 2-3 innings at a clip just like Whitlock.

Who's the Lefty odd man out if Taylor regains his form? I'm sure we don't keep 4 lefties in the pen, do we? Taylor's still got options, and they're in no hurry with him for now.

Let's say our choice of Righties at the All Star break includes Whitlock and an effective version of Crawford. That's 5 of them, and plays out like Houck-Whitlock-Schreiber and two more. Crawford, Danish, Brasier and Sawamura fight for supremacy on the MLB-AAA shuttle for the last two spots? We're not even talking about Barnes and Robles yet. Neither of them have options. Who knows - Crawford could be in the rotation for a few weeks. 

One monkey wrench on two fronts is Houck with that vaccination issue and if he's a legitimate closer. Still TBD in my eyes.  Should find out in the next couple of weeks if he's a legit closer.