5. Harold Castro (L) 3B
6. Robbie Grossman (S) LF
7. Spencer Torkelson (R) 1B
8. Jonathan Schoop (R) 2B
9. Tucker Barnhart (S) C

Gametime Temp: 65°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

MongoLikeSox

I just read on the Athletic that the original plan was to have Downs play 3b tonight. Instead, they're going to rest both Bogie and Devers and have Dalbec and Downs start. So the infield will be Dalbec, Downs, Story and Cordero.

Interestingly enough, Downs (supposedly) has not played a bit of third this year. What an awful way to get a debut that would have been, huh? Shheeeesssh. No problem!  :) Glad that's not happening.

The one positive to seeing Dalbec at 3B is a chance to see that arm of his. Wild due to lack of reps, sure, but strong.

Speaking of strong arms, go find footage(MLB site) on that new kid playing SS for the Pirates. 6' 7" drink of water named Cruz. Dude's got a cannon and can hit liners like Jean Carlo Stanton.

markj

Latest lineup still showing Downs at 3B and Bogey at SS. Maybe it hasn't caught up with the lineup website yet.

MongoLikeSox

I'm certainly rooting for Duran to hold his own against the lefty tonight. Refsnyder right behind him. That was 2/3rds of a high energy top of the order lineup in Worcester. Add Downs to that turning the order over from the 9-hole and you've got a quick spark there if they can get on. I hope they do well. 

markj

Sea Dog 23

Duran with his first rbi(s) and Ref with his first homer. Those were firsts this year.

markj

MongoLikeSox

So, I guess it's my turn to eat some crow. I scoffed at the Wacha signing last Winter. Pfffffttt!!!! Shows you what I know.

It is fun to see this jolt of energy these fast kids bring.

And hey, I was decent at three positions. Maybe a stretch with MUCH younger legs in CF. But SS and 3B could not have been different for me. Only RF was worse for me than 3B. So Jeter Downs approach was to play 3B like he was playing SS. I've been chewing on that all night. How do you do that, right? Looks like it's working so far.

markj

Vaz and Dalbec both go down looking. WTF? You have a 4 run lead in the bottom of the 8th. Take a chance and swing at those pitches.

markj

markj

Sox have been playing .700 ball for 40 games now. Almost a quarter of the season. Such a shame they tanked the first 30 games. Tough stretch coming up, though. Hopefully they can keep on winning. If they carry this momentum into the ASB and Henry & Bloom do nothing to improve the chances for post-season play, fans will not be happy.

MongoLikeSox

This roller coaster year by Story continues. Some of these plays he's making are sensational. Now he's getting some RF hits. How cool is that?

btw, I saw an article buried somewhere about JBJ being diagnosed with an astigmatism and new contacts has helped him improve his chase and swing & miss rates. He's turning over on the ball a lot less, too. I hope that continues. Having a defensive stud that can add something on offense is a good thing.

Duran chased one way out of the zone late in the game. I hope that is a one-off. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 22, 2022, 03:26:43 PM
I'm certainly rooting for Duran to hold his own against the lefty tonight. Refsnyder right behind him. That was 2/3rds of a high energy top of the order lineup in Worcester. Add Downs to that turning the order over from the 9-hole and you've got a quick spark there if they can get on. I hope they do well.

Downs struck out twice, but the third time around he made good contact on several pitches, then sending it to the warning track.  Bogey seemed flummoxed all night.  Mongo, as you pointed out, they had thought about resting him.

longgame

I played 3B and moved to 2B in high school but never was a SS.  Different aspect of playing, especially back then.  I, like JBJ, had to get glasses in high school too, and it helped my hitting quite a bit (but not enough!).

Sea Dog 23

So Downs was up for three days, then optioned to Wooster.  Coming off the IL for the Cleveland game is Arroyo. Kike' is still ailing, so it was Arroyo.