5. Riley Greene (L) CF
6. Spencer Torkelson (R) 1B
7. Jeimer Candelario (S) 3B
8. Jonathan Schoop (R) 2B
9. Willi Castro (S) RF

Gametime Temp: 67°F
Chance of Precip: 1%

SeaBeachFred

Win this series TONIGHT and convince me that we are really on the upswing once and for all.  Last night we played a very good game and stopped a Tiger rally when we had to and got a good job in he relief pitching department.  Some say it was the Tigers but good, bad, mediocre team or not, our team has to show it can take on all comers.  The squall comes when Kiki is ready to come back and what we do with Duran WHO IS READY TO PLAY AND HELP US AND NEEDS TO BE PUT IN CF AND KEPT THERE.  Hear me Cora and Bloom.  You've jerked this kid around long enough.  He is part of our future, Kiki and JBJ are not, and whether we like it or not this is somewhat of a rebuilding year.  Kiki and JBJ should be gone next year unless Bloom has another brain cramp.

MongoLikeSox

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me until seeing Hill's the starter tonight, but we don't really have a ling relief guy, do we?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 21, 2022, 02:20:45 PM
I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me until seeing Hill's the starter tonight, but we don't really have a ling relief guy, do we?

I think long relief will be Sale's role until he gets fine tuned, when he ever gets back.  One source guessed today July 10 if no hiccups.  Cora hinted at th e early relief role.

Sea Dog 23

For awhile there it was the Javier Baez show.  Then in the 4th Story gets a 3 run blast that gives Hill a 4-2 lead.  Hope he can hold it.

markj

Man, we really need a closer. No excuse for going into a new season without one.

markj

markj

MongoLikeSox

markj

Jays lost last night, so Sox are 1/2 game out of 2nd place.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox might look at the standings and feel some comfort.  However there is a tsunami ahead with a tough schedule vs. the top teams  in their division.  Meanwhile two top pitchers are still on the IL with Eovaldi getting a serious report about his hip.  In the Toronto series we're missing Houck with the Covid rules , and I think K.Crawford will stay home too.  Two other starters are on the 60 day IL. Brayan Bello may have to get ready soon.

longgame

Back from vacation and only some spotty Sox listening.  While I was away I noticed the few games the Sox lost were due to the bullpen, plus a couple of close calls.  Robles figured prominently in two of them and should be released.  Duran has looked good and as Fred said, he is simply better than JBJ and Kike.  Starters remain solid.  Schreiber and Houck seem to be emerging as the end of games guys. 

Nice to see them edge ahead of the Rays and caching up with the Blue Jays. 

MongoLikeSox

I agree with so much of that for the most part. Duran is even showing signs of quality AB's when they turn the lineup over. He's gonna do some rookie things, though, so hopefully the Cora young player leash isn't too tight. I hope they play him now and hope the 80 MLB games until crunch time is enough to help this year.

I still gotta like Kike's arm. I also like Kike's instincts in CF, but the gap is slowly narrowing between him and Duran on that end. Duran got turned around once in a while in CF in Worcester, but have not seen it yet in Boston this year.

We'll see Duran for a bit longer. Kike has had a bit of a set back according to the MLB site (or the Athletic?), on to say they shut him down for a couple of days.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 21, 2022, 11:04:28 PM
Schreiber's showing some cahones and grit.

Yes he is Mongo but does that get him up in the relief corps or will we still be playing musical chairs for the rest of the season?  We do need a closer and we know it isn't Robles (though Cora might still disagree) or Barnes when he gets back.  Brasier has actually looked good the past three outings but I don't believe he is suited for such a tension filled role of a closer in the 9th inning with a one or two run lead. Right now Houcks and Schreiber seem like our two best but the problem is right now as well they don't look that much better than the rest of the lot.  Someone take charge out there.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 22, 2022, 08:24:19 AM
The Sox might look at the standings and feel some comfort.  However there is a tsunami ahead with a tough schedule vs. the top teams  in their division.  Meanwhile two top pitchers are still on the IL with Eovaldi getting a serious report about his hip.  In the Toronto series we're missing Houck with the Covid rules , and I think K.Crawford will stay home too.  Two other starters are on the 60 day IL. Brayan Bello may have to get ready soon.

How about a trade?  With Duran showing up better with every chance the stingy Cora give him perhaps we can now peddle Kiki or Bradley or a prospect for a pitcher who can eat innings, miss bats and win for us.  A tall order I know but that tsunami is coming as you say Sea Dog and we had better be ready to compete because July looks like a rear bear in the making.  As we enter we better hit and field well to help our pitchers out.  We cannot give our opponents four or five outs and we have hit when it counts.  No matter what the pencil neck geeks from the front office spout nowadays RBI's are  very very important and we need our guys to be able to drive in those runs.