So Now We Need Middle Infielders?

Started by MongoLikeSox, June 19, 2022, 09:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Not so much in the long term, but we do have a little bit of a roster crisis going on. If you look at the Infielders section of our Roster, you will see Devers, Bogey, Story and Dalbec as the actives. Kike and Arroyo are on the IL and COVID list. Bringing up Jeter Downs is a no-no on many levels.

That means we have zero help should Story or Bogey go down. Refsnyder has had some PT in middle IF going back a few years. We cleared Arauz out to get Refsnyder on the 40-man. A more than capable OF'er, but it did leave us short at SS/2B. That was while we had Kike in the IL, but Arroyo was the active safety net. Things happen and they did.

We do gain an extra position player spot tomorrow, but nobody on the 40-man is ready. We've already gotta dump a 40-man spot because we bought another underachieving arm project from the Phillies.

Gonna be interesting again for a couple days. Again. Especially when Kike returns.

MongoLikeSox

Welp, um, so my statement of going to be interesting was an understatement. They are calling up Jeter Downs.

I doubt anything should be read into this other than the fact that there is nobody else due to the roster crunch and Arroyo on the COVID protocol. I've watched him a few times on MILB TV. What I've seen has been interesting. I hope we don't need him. Just because I said that, he'll hit one about 450ft and steal home running backwards the next time up.

They did DFA the guy that they got from the Phiilies for a used washer machine. No idea if the Sox like him at all or not after having him over for tea and a game of catch. I guess we'll know in a few days if he clears Waviers.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 20, 2022, 12:10:41 PM
Welp, um, so my statement of going to be interesting was an understatement. They are calling up Jeter Downs.

I doubt anything should be read into this other than the fact that there is nobody else due to the roster crunch and Arroyo on the COVID protocol. I've watched him a few times on MILB TV. What I've seen has been interesting. I hope we don't need him. Just because I said that, he'll hit one about 450ft and steal home running backwards the next time up.

They did DFA the guy that they got from the Phiilies for a used washer machine. No idea if the Sox like him at all or not after having him over for tea and a game of catch. I guess we'll know in a few days if he clears Waviers.

Downs has been a disappointment so far in his Red Sox minor league career, hitting very poorly and almost a defensive liability.  However, he is versatile and could help us at numerous positions.  He also has decent speed and can run the bases so there is some ways he can help us though I do NOT see him as any real building block for our next wave of young talent that is emerging in the minors.  I could be wrong though.

MongoLikeSox

They said he's playing on Wednesday. (gulp)

Fred, that's pretty much what I've seen. Got some raw physical talent, that's for sure. I still think they should have sent him to AA instead of grinding out that .190BA season. He only got to play AA for a couple if weeks in 2019. 

He had an error while the Sox were trying to close the game out on Saturday(IIRC). They were in the shift, 9th inning up by 4-5 runs with bases juiced. A ball hit straight to the 2nd baseman. Downs runs and cuts him off with a dive. It goes off his glove and two runs score. Game ended a couple batters and a pitching change later, but he looked like he'd seen a ghost even when they were shaking hands.

I've seen him like that at least twice before. Another one was a run down play. Kind of simple, but he darned neat blew it by keeping the ball and chasing the runner instead of using his team mates.

Short version of all of that is it looks like he is trying way too hard to prove himself. He's the main Mookie Betts prize and it looks like he's feeling it.

Sea Dog 23

As far as middle infielders at Wo ster  I would have called up Sanchez.  He's having a good year .266 .836 ops, 7 hrs, 26 rbis.  But I understand the Downs move.  They felt like he needed the chance, the press was maybe bugging mgt to see the Mookie return, yada, yada.