GAME #65 - FRIDAY, JUNE 17, 2022 - ST LOUIS CARDINALS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, June 17, 2022, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Finally! That game should not have been a nail biter. Gawd, this BP sux.

Schloicka

I would of left Davis in with 2 lefties coming up. Wasn't doing that bad. Especially with 2 outs.

markj

Now they need to show they can take a series from a leading team. They are 12-3 over their last 15 games, which is awesome, but they still have something to prove.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on June 17, 2022, 09:34:57 PM
Now they need to show they can take a series from a leading team. They are 12-3 over their last 15 games, which is awesome, but they still have something to prove.

I was riding home with my wife and saw we were ahead 6-1 going into the ninth innings and then WTF!!!!!!!  6-5, a runner on second the best hitter in the NL  this year at the plate.  I was cursing Cora with venom until Houck got Goldschmidt caught looking.  As Elk said we cannot play with the big boys until we get a closer because with this bunch no lead seems safe.....as we saw tonight. I'll take the win, sure, and we finally bear a good time but this closer by committee didn't work for Grady Little, it didn't work for John Farrell after Koji left us and it isn't working for Alex.  We should all be elated that we won the game and would have been after 8 and 2/3 innings, but getting that last out totally pissed me off.  Now we have to sweat trying to win this series.  You people out there do know that we have had a habit of winning the first and losing the next two, especially earlier in the season.  We picked up ground on both the Rays and Blue Jays as both those teams lost and I am beginning to think that Toronto is the AL East's version of the Minnesota Twins.  Have a great Saturday friends.

MongoLikeSox

So, I had thought Davis settled down, too. I was surprised Cora came out to get him and even more surprised to see the batter was a Lefty. Turns out Edman's a switch-hitter. I'm glad we piled on some late runs.

On the everything smells like birthday cake and honeydew melon side of things, Hopefully Houck learned he can get the job done when his sliders are not at their best. To freeze Goldschmidt on a center cut heater to end the game was good to see. That takes some guts. There, rainbows and unicorns time is over.  ;D

It's funny on that double to drive in two runs they had. that same pitch left up was the same pitch, same mistake Bello made the other night that got jettisoned to the grassy seats behind the LF Wall.

Oh, and I didn't like taking Duran out again. It worked out GREAT in the short term tonight, though. Food for thought, though. Duran's splits against LHP were indeed less than RHP in AAA this year, but they were still very workable. .269BA, .387OBP and .753 OPS against lefties. That's not a bad thing.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 18, 2022, 07:34:07 AM
So, I had thought Davis settled down, too. I was surprised Cora came out to get him and even more surprised to see the batter was a Lefty. Turns out Edman's a switch-hitter. I'm glad we piled on some late runs.

On the everything smells like birthday cake and honeydew melon side of things, Hopefully Houck learned he can get the job done when his sliders are not at their best. To freeze Goldschmidt on a center cut heater to end the game was good to see. That takes some guts. There, rainbows and unicorns time is over.  ;D

It's funny on that double to drive in two runs they had. that same pitch left up was the same pitch, same mistake Bello made the other night that got jettisoned to the grassy seats behind the LF Wall.

Oh, and I didn't like taking Duran out again. It worked out GREAT in the short term tonight, though. Food for thought, though. Duran's splits against LHP were indeed less than RHP in AAA this year, but they were still very workable. .269BA, .387OBP and .753 OPS against lefties. That's not a bad thing.

I didn't see the game Mongo because we were on the road much of the time and had no access to a computer so I could log on to MLBTV--NESN, but I know your knowledge of what goes on in a game is way above doubt and it thrilled me that Houck was able to fool Goldschmidt had to be a work of art.  Goldie is having one of his better seasons and right now is leading the league in hitting so I was sweating it out in the car and looking at my I-Phone for updates until I saw we had finally ended the torment with a win, but I didn't know about how he got him out.  As for Duran, Cora is, I believe, very timid playing rookies and seems more comfortable with veterans in the lineup, a malady that may doom him when Mayer, Casas, Yorke and o thers are ready to step in.  If he can't let those guys play he needs to go somewhere else.....like maybe Detroit or Cincinatti.  Duran must be given a chance to show what he can do and not be on a plane going back and forth between cities.  Also, Bradley seems to be doing better at the plate so kudos to him.  Hopefully he keeps it up.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 18, 2022, 03:53:55 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 18, 2022, 07:34:07 AM

I didn't see the game Mongo because we were on the road much of the time and had no access to a computer so I could log on to MLBTV--NESN, but I know your knowledge of what goes on in a game is way above doubt and it thrilled me that Houck was able to fool Goldschmidt had to be a work of art.  Goldie is having one of his better seasons and right now is leading the league in hitting so I was sweating it out in the car and looking at my I-Phone for updates until I saw we had finally ended the torment with a win, but I didn't know about how he got him out.  As for Duran, Cora is, I believe, very timid playing rookies and seems more comfortable with veterans in the lineup, a malady that may doom him when Mayer, Casas, Yorke and o thers are ready to step in.  If he can't let those guys play he needs to go somewhere else.....like maybe Detroit or Cincinatti.  Duran must be given a chance to show what he can do and not be on a plane going back and forth between cities.  Also, Bradley seems to be doing better at the plate so kudos to him.  Hopefully he keeps it up.
I relish the compliment, Fred. And likewise. You and the guys here know the game. I really enjoy chatting baseball here.

Man, I thought it was that Red Sox 9th inning implosion act happening all over again. I think Houck threw something like 8 straight sliders to Goldschmidt. Then he throws a 96 heater or maybe a sinker that didn't sink as Wakefield suggested might have happened. I suspect Goldschmidt saw it start over there and thought it was going to end up being a foot outside. He was leaning over the plate a bit to cover it. Perfect pitch. Good times.  ;D 

I agree. JBJ's seeing the ball really well these days. He's not bitten on so many of the yackers he used to whiff at. Hopefully that stays like that.