GAME #63 - WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2022 - OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, June 15, 2022, 08:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

markj

MongoLikeSox

I wonder if Cora would have left him in another inning if he had not landed oddly a couple of times in his last couple of batters.

XB and Devers can square up with pitches that almost nobody can. Such fun to watch on defense this year, too. Story's getting used to 2b just fine. Cpuple of nice turns theu've had the last two nights. Made Kemp's GIDP look easy.

markj

The past 30 games have been fun to watch, but this team needs to beat AL East teams before I develop any faith in them. They couldn't even handle Baltimore and they're 9-13 against teams over 500. Beating up on cellar dwellers might be good for a short term high, but it doesn't get you far in the post season if you can't compete in your own division.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on June 15, 2022, 10:01:02 PM
The past 30 games have been fun to watch, but this team needs to beat AL East teams before I develop any faith in them. They couldn't even handle Baltimore and they're 9-13 against teams over 500. Beating up on cellar dwellers might be good for a short term high, but it doesn't get you far in the post season if you can't compete in your own division.
Indeed! OB was ranting a little heavy in their defense last night. I see his point, but I don't see it's weight on the grand scheme. Beat the teams you're supposed to beat and do well against the rest. Not quite there yet on the latter, but hopefully that's behind us soon. 

To me, all those games we blew while the pen imploded and the offense was getting little done meant that we were at least IN those games. A mildly effective closer and we're easily 4-5 games ahead of where we are now. That's with an offense that sputtered for 20+ games out of the gate, too.