So Now We Need Starting Pitching

Started by MongoLikeSox, June 13, 2022, 07:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

The injury big hit us. We finally got Whitlock stretched out a bit and was learning the starting pitching ropes. Eovaldi is our current Ace. Hopefully both will be back sooner than later.

Just for some good old fashioned baseball talk and a bit of fun, I thought we might play along with the 'Sox brass and see what looks like a good plan or not. Keep in mind that we have 9 in a row coming up, and then 6 games. 15 games in 16 days starting Tuesday.

#1: Bullpen Starts - I'm firmly in the "no-way" camp on this one. Especially with the next pitchers spots roster clamping going on in a week.
#2: Houck - I think we spent too much time getting him into the closer's mindset. I'd like to see this played out.
#3: Crawford - OB's broadcasting partner said it best yesterday. He's earned another start. It's put up or shut up time for an organizational credibility. He did his job better than expected. he should get the chance. Let others see it and know it's possible to get promoted, do well and keep a spot.
#4: Winckowski - Yeah, I know. Two pitches. He bombed his return trip to AAA, but recovered with a nice 7-IP gem on Friday. The two pitch thing was a little tough to learn of.
#5: Seabold - He's one 3-inning start removed from being on the injured list. Probably too soon.
#6: Bello - My initial reaction is "too soon". He's damned good, and this would be the sexy choice for sure. IF this was spun right and he bought into it, it could be used as a learning experience. Get a first-hand taste of what you will need to do to succeed at the next level.
#7: Groome - I think it's way too soon for this option, Only included because he's on the 40-man. He's had some brilliant outings and some bad outings.

Sea Dog 23

I saw an article over the weekend saying Sale is at least six weeks out from joining the rotation.  He is essentially beginning his spring training.  What is more reality, they may stretch him out with short stints out of the bull pen in a month or less.

Mongo, imo Winchowski seems more ready to get a start ythis week (Wed?). That coincides with his rest period at Worchester.  The other guys like Seabold dont seem to line up as well.  Seabold just came off an injury.  Sox are between a rock and a hard place with top pitchers out and weak bats of late.  Somehow the just won 8 of 10.

elktonnick

Sox need relief pitching more than a starter
  IMHO they urgently need a solid closer more than anything  else.

MongoLikeSox

Perhaps the simplest solution is the best solution for the week. Bring Winckowski up and essentially replace Eovaldi and Whitlock with Crawford and Winckowski in the short term.

Not that it matters for the current challenge, but Mata is doing well with his A/A+ outings so far.  thumb_u

MongoLikeSox

OK, so Winckowski looked like the same guy that was advertised in Worcester this season. He wasn't exactly facing the cream of the crop offense last night, but he was throwing strikes and making some nice pitches. I assume and hope he'll get one more shot. I'd like to see two shots and an extra rest day. I'm getting ahead of myself.

I saw Bello pitch last night for a few innings. He left one pitch out up belt high to their #5 hitter who planted a quick liner over the left field wall for an opposite field shot. Apparently things went South for him coming out for the 6th inning. So a good 5 innings with 8Ks. Struck out the first 4. Two of them looked like nice dropping change-ups. Lots to be excited about. He looked more in control than the first Worcester start I saw him pitch. That said, I didn't see his 6th inning demise.

I did see the Ottavino prize - Frank German - and his VERY lively arm. He was all over the place, though. He walked a guy who subsequently stole 2nd and 3rd on the next two pitches. Thanks to some nifty camera work, I could not begin to tell you why Wong didn't get throws off each time. Later, after the run scored, that they got crossed up with Wong was waiting on a slider and ended up getting something really hairy about 4 feet away in the empty RH batters Box. 14 strikes out of 27 pitches. He got out of the inning with that one walk coming in for a run. The walk, run and 2 SB came from the tiger's #1 prospect Riley Greene. I think Greene was due to make the team if not for a last minute injury in ST, but I might be thinking of someone else. This keeps up and we'll see him next week in Fenway facing us.

Sea Dog 23

Given the chance to bolster the bullpen, Bloom made a move, but it was the work of a baseball analytics nerd head.  Sox picked up reliever James Norwood, dfa’d by Phillies with a plus 8 era this year.  But he equates to a 3.73 FIP.  Really?  Sorry, guys, Bloom has thrown in the towel, if not the white flag.

https://nesn.com/2022/06/red-sox-trade-reliever-james-norwood-offers-boston-intriguing-upside/

MongoLikeSox

Trading cash for him is no problem for me, but that we traded for him after being DFA'd, but before the wavier process means our newest fire-balling underachiever gets to enjoy a spot on our 40-man roster. That means someone else does not. I think we have 2 more days to make that move.

Makes tomorrow interesting, too, as we drop down one more arm. I think we find Robles on the DL tomorrow. Still, that does not get us down to 40. Darwinzon to the 60-day? Assuming that was Sale's spot, but so much can happen in the next 45 days as the moves will start to shake down.

MongoLikeSox

Kind of surprised to see him start off in Boston, but I guess they wanted to see him first hand.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 19, 2022, 07:00:15 AM
Given the chance to bolster the bullpen, Bloom made a move, but it was the work of a baseball analytics nerd head.  Sox picked up reliever James Norwood, dfa’d by Phillies with a plus 8 era this year.  But he equates to a 3.73 FIP.  Really?  Sorry, guys, Bloom has thrown in the towel, if not the white flag.

https://nesn.com/2022/06/red-sox-trade-reliever-james-norwood-offers-boston-intriguing-upside/

SEA DOG THE PHILLIES BULLPEN WAS WORSE THAN OURS SO WHY PICK UP ONE OF THEIR BUMS TO ADD TO OUR COLLECTION OF BUMS?  More and more I think Bloom is just a rotten judge of talent and is nothing more than an analytics nut.

MongoLikeSox

Something we knew already. It just sort of hit to me in a way that seemed very real all of a sudden like. We have the potential of adding Chris Sale, James Paxton, Nathan Eovaldi, Garrett Whitlock and Bryan Mata to the pitching staff by the end of August. Some of them sooner, I hope.

Lots of decisions. We're limited by the 40-man Roster. Trade Deadline looming. Odd man out scenarios aplenty. We begin this little journey in a couple of weeks if Sale and Taylor continue on schedule. They will cost spots of the active 40-man Roster. Each of us has a favorite candidate or two for releasing.
(Starters - 13)
Nick Pivetta
Michael Wacha
Rich Hill
Josh Winckowski (opts)
Chris Sale (IL-60day)
Nathan Eovaldi (IL)
Jason Whitlock (IL) (opts)
James Paxton (IL-60day)
Cutter Crawford (AAA)
Connor Seabold (AAA - 2.09 ERA)
Brayan Bello (AAA 3.12 while getting used to AAA hitting)
Bryan Matta (AAA - A+ rehab assignment)
Jay Groome (AA - only included for completion of the 40-man pitching staff)

Bullpen - 13
Houck
Schreiber
Davis
Strahm
Diekman
Brasier
Danish
Sawamura
Robles
Taylor (IL-60day)
Barnes (IL)
Valdez (AAA - was doing great until yesterday)
Darwinzon (IL)

There are several potentially big turn of events happenings coming soon, starting with Seabold tomorrow. Imagine if Sale and Taylor return, and if Whitlock and Eovaldi show signs of coming back to life sooner than later. Get to within a couple weeks of the trade deadline with a couple of really nice extra starting chips to play with and this bullpen could become very nicely appointed. Very interesting times could be near.

MongoLikeSox

Some Injury comeback outings to watch on MiLB. Looks like a laptop and TV on night, for the first few innings, anyhow. Assuming current workloads and days between outings....
Josh Taylor might pitch tonight in Portland.
Bryan Mata might pitch tonight in Portland.
Chris Sale might pitch on Thursday in Portland.

Makes me wish I was near Portland. Late June - New England - then again, it's only supposed to be 85F today here in NC.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 28, 2022, 07:31:06 AM
Some Injury comeback outings to watch on MiLB. Looks like a laptop and TV on night, for the first few innings, anyhow. Assuming current workloads and days between outings....

Makes me wish I was near Portland. Late June - New England - then again, it's only supposed to be 85F today here in NC.

I was in Maine a week ago.  It was 50 when I left.  Two days later it was pushing 100 here!

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on June 28, 2022, 07:49:28 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 28, 2022, 07:31:06 AM

I was in Maine a week ago.  It was 50 when I left.  Two days later it was pushing 100 here!
Brutal!

I had an opposite trip once. I led a motorcycle ride from Raleigh to Bar Harbor back in 2003. The hottest days were in Maine and Vermont. The coolest days was day one leaving Raleigh and day 9 getting back into Raleigh. They had record breaking temps up there, but the forecast when we left called for cool weather. 12 bikes, 1 Chevy and 18 people all trying to stay hydrated and on schedule. The long sleeves we all packed probably saved some from getting bad sunburns, though. I think it was 98F the 4 days in Vermont and Maine. We did 3 other rides and they were all normal.

longgame

That is strange.  I go up to Maine around now every year but it floats between late May and mid June, but we usually don't get weather that cold.  I hiked in WV the week before and it was the same.  80s leaving Charlotte early in the morning and got to the place I was camping at 1:30 and it was 56 and cloudy and windy!

Sea Dog 23

Masslive says pitcher Chris Murphy promoted to Wooster. At Portland 2.58 era, 1.00 WHIP, 1.70 ba against.  In turn Wooster releases Pantone so he can pitch in Korea (??), and release 1B Roberto Ramos, batting a cool.158.