GAME #54 - SUNDAY, JUNE 5, 2022 - BOSTON RED SOX @ OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Started by markj, June 05, 2022, 08:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 05, 2022, 07:38:29 PM
My wife is a big Angels fan so I will have to be on my best behavior not to rile her up even though she is a very mild mannered lady-----until she get her dander up.  Then I may have to duck.
Fred, I think I told this story before, but the last time my Wife's football team played the Pats, we went to a sports bar to ensure good behavior.  thumb_u
Well, that's what we told people when they saw us with our respective jerseys on. Truth is, it was not shown locally, which forced our hand. :)

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 07, 2022, 10:49:24 AM
My wife is a big Angels fan so I will have to be on my best behavior not to rile her up even though she is a very mild mannered lady-----until she get her dander up.  Then I may have to duck.
Fred, I think I told this story before, but the last time my Wife's football team played the Pats, we went to a sports bar to ensure good behavior.  thumb_u
Well, that's what we told people when they saw us with our respective jerseys on. Truth is, it was not shown locally, which forced our hand. :)

Mongo, I've learned over the years that when spouses root for different teams in the various and sundry professional sports you have to toe the line very carefully because tempers and emotions could arise.  I remember in the AL Division Playoffs between the Red Sox and Angels  Linda and I were decked out in our team outfits and I was going off on Matsuzaka who always seemed to run the counts to three and two and then give away the leads we picked up earlier.  My wife got so mad at me that we had to pick and leave after the eighth inning with the score tied. We didn't dare put the radio on in the car as we drove the 38 miles home.  Only when we got home did we find out that JD Drew hit a two run homer and gave he Red Sox a 2-0 series lead.  Linda has not attended a Red Sox game with me since then and won't.  She thinks I'm a nut and out of control so I go with either friends from home or friends from the Boston area when I go see the Sox.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 07, 2022, 03:34:24 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 07, 2022, 10:49:24 AM

Mongo, I've learned over the years that when spouses root for different teams in the various and sundry professional sports you have to toe the line very carefully because tempers and emotions could arise.  I remember in the AL Division Playoffs between the Red Sox and Angels  Linda and I were decked out in our team outfits and I was going off on Matsuzaka who always seemed to run the counts to three and two and then give away the leads we picked up earlier.  My wife got so mad at me that we had to pick and leave after the eighth inning with the score tied. We didn't dare put the radio on in the car as we drove the 38 miles home.  Only when we got home did we find out that JD Drew hit a two run homer and gave he Red Sox a 2-0 series lead.  Linda has not attended a Red Sox game with me since then and won't.  She thinks I'm a nut and out of control so I go with either friends from home or friends from the Boston area when I go see the Sox.
Ouch! Yeah, that sounds like a very, very long drive home.
We all have our things, right? I'm so irritated with our lousy realtor that I've been chewing nails and spitting fire for almost 2 months.

longgame

I was lucky my late wife was a Sox fan or at least became one!  She had dated Rick Cerrone when he played winter ball, so there was an opportunity for her to go to the dark side!

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on June 08, 2022, 07:18:29 AM
I was lucky my late wife was a Sox fan or at least became one!  She had dated Rick Cerrone when he played winter ball, so there was an opportunity for her to go to the dark side!
Having a wife that's a Sox fan is a great thing. Mine started in the late 90's. We plan our day with when the Red Sox are playing in mind. I mean everything, including date-night. My schoolhood friends would laugh their butts off that the baseball nut would end up married to a converted baseball nut.

Your late-wife not going to the dark side under under those circumstances is pretty darned impressive.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 08, 2022, 10:11:12 AM
Quote from: longgame on June 08, 2022, 07:18:29 AM
Having a wife that's a Sox fan is a great thing. Mine started in the late 90's. We plan our day with when the Red Sox are playing in mind. I mean everything, including date-night. My schoolhood friends would laugh their butts off that the baseball nut would end up married to a converted baseball nut.

Your late-wife not going to the dark side under under those circumstances is pretty darned impressive.

We met in Puerto Rico in 1986 and the first time I met her brother, Christmas 1986, he came from NY with baseball hats for everyone asking "which one do you want, Yankees or Mets!"  I was polite and took the Mets hat even though it was pretty raw to do so at that time.  I remember reading an article in the local paper about the "three Red Sox fans on the island" and I don't think she was one of them until after she met me.  We have a video from a baby shower for our first kid and we were late because, as you can hear me saying, the Sox had the bases loaded vs the Yankees and I had to wait for the inning to end!

SeaBeachFred

Now those are great stories Mongo and Ted.  I will say, though, that when the Red Sox aren't playing either the Angels or Padres, she wants my Red Sox to win......maybe to keep peace in the house or, hopefully (yes) to keep me happy,

MongoLikeSox