Pitching development philosophy change, or a once and done?

Started by MongoLikeSox, May 23, 2022, 08:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Yesterday, Winckowski (AAA) threw for 6-plus innings. A rarity, needless to say. It's doing something to get into the 6th the past couple of seasons, if not longer. Bello did similar with his 7-inng no-no a couple weeks prior. Pivetta threw 9 complete just this past week in 'Bahstan. Even Whitlock getting as many pitches as Cora could stand on a day when he has nothing.

Are we seeing renewed emphasis on the importance of starting pitchers eating innings? Training our guys in late-May by way of letting them even try? Letting kids go semi-deep in the minors is no small statement. I'm looking forward to Winckowski's next start to see if they let him try again, assuming pitch count in order and otherwise still has gas left in the tank.

Sea Dog 23

Winchowski is part of the 3-team Benintendi trade,  by way of the Mets.  Franchy was of course a part.  Can he carry over some confidence from his big weekend performances against better MLB pitchers??  Both of those guys could be some fillers for the '23 Sox.

longgame

I sure hope pitchers start going deeper.  There's nothing magical about 100 pitches or how many pitches a guy can throw.  Just ask Nolan Ryan.  The greatest pitchers of all time won a lot of long complete games.

MongoLikeSox

If they limit the number of pitchers on the roster like they did, it might help the cause for the rebirth of the starter. Keeping fingers crossed.

Bello's itching tomorrow night. I might be able to catch more of it than I did last week.