GAME #38 - THURSDAY, MAY 19, 2022 - SEATTLE MARINERS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, May 19, 2022, 08:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

It's been nice to see some offense pop up some days. There are going to be games where it doesn't always work. Four week stretches of it, though, that was rough.

Won't be too long before the mysterious neck strains and toe nail fungus inflammation begins to shut a couple of the floundering BP guys down.

I wonder what Vaz said to Strahm?

Brasier looked all over the place, physically, like he was trying to imitate Barnes. Maybe it's been all season and I've only noticed the end result (despair) before. I've seen Feltman and Bazardo pitch for Worcester the past few days. Same thing. Out of rhythm.

Sea Dog 23

Well Brasier is done.  Down to Woosta' to make room for Wacha.  Darwinzon is also done, torn miniscus.  Probably ends his season.  A good note Brian Mata (post TJS) is throwing 99-100 down in Ft. Myers against other team's batters.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 19, 2022, 08:26:48 PM
I didn't even know Elon had a BB program.

Anyhow, anyone know what the Mariners' pitching change was disallowed?

Elon has a decent program, just overshadowed by State, UNC and Duke.  He's the 12th MLB player from there!  Beautiful campus, toured it with my son, but looked pretty boring!

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/college/elon_university_baseball_players.shtml

longgame

Good move sending Brasier down. 

Nice old fashioned 70s kind of game. Let's hope they continue to take it to these weaker teams.

I'm heading to the mountains to escape the NC heat!

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on May 20, 2022, 07:38:38 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 19, 2022, 08:26:48 PM
I didn't even know Elon had a BB program.

Anyhow, anyone know what the Mariners' pitching change was disallowed?

Elon has a decent program, just overshadowed by State, UNC and Duke.  He's the 12th MLB player from there!  Beautiful campus, toured it with my son, but looked pretty boring!

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/college/elon_university_baseball_players.shtml
My step-father-in-law got his law degree there, IIRC.

Enjoy the cool. It's brutal.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 20, 2022, 06:54:09 AM
Well Brasier is done.  Down to Woosta' to make room for Wacha.  Darwinzon is also done, torn miniscus.  Probably ends his season.  A good note Brian Mata (post TJS) is throwing 99-100 down in Ft. Myers against other team's batters.
Hoping Mata continue to recover well and hoping Brasier can turn it round. And DH, too. Talk about a rough season.

Thad Ward, the other TJ patient, was supposed to have been throwing BP as of a week or so ago.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 20, 2022, 06:54:09 AM

I was hoping for Mata to get a look this season on our team Sea Dog, but like most of our pitching prospects he came up lame in ST.  Now that he seems to be on the mend it would be even better if he had a few impressive relief jobs and  then get promoted to the RedSox.  I have never thought much of Darwizon; too inconsistent with poor control to boot.  Still I hate to see injuries like that waylay a pitcher for the duration of the season.  Brasier?  He'd down but still a threat to be brought back up.  That must not happen.  He is a total waste with that flat fastball that gets reamed out of the park on a daily basis.  Nice if he was DFA'd and this time some team claimed him because I don't want to see him on our mound again.

MongoLikeSox

Mata and Ward were both fallouts from last year's Spring Training. Mata was hoped to be used later in the season for Boston, IIRC, but went down right after Ward, again IIRC.

More good news on Mata, though I can't get to detail of the article. According to Speier and the Globe, his return to competitive pitching saw him at 100mph. There are no stats, though, so can only assume it was an intrasquad somewhere?