Orsillo Says His Video Tribute Was Omitted

Started by longgame, April 21, 2022, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

These owners really do such crappy things at times.  Orsillo had done a video tribute to Remy but the Sox decided to not show it.  He wanted to actually come to the game.  It was a nice touch to have those legends out there, especially Yaz.  Plus all of the full time sideline reporters over the years. 

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2022/04/21/jerry-remy-tribute-don-orsillo/

Not that he was missed, but where was O'Brien last night?

markj

That's screwed up. John Henry must be a total jerk. What is it about Orsillo that makes them hate him so? I can't believe it's Orsillo's problem, although I don't really know any of the people involved. Maybe Henry & Co realize how badly they blew it when they canned Orsillo and don't want any reminders of their stupidity.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: markj on April 21, 2022, 08:55:14 AM
That's screwed up. John Henry must be a total jerk. What is it about Orsillo that makes them hate him so? I can't believe it's Orsillo's problem, although I don't really know any of the people involved. Maybe Henry & Co realize how badly they blew it when they canned Orsillo and don't want any reminders of their stupidity.

... buyers' remorse

elktonnick

Quote from: markj on April 21, 2022, 08:55:14 AM

It seems John Henry has zero people skills.  To exclude Orsillo from Jerry's tribute was classless.

longgame

I saw something where the Sox said they wanted him to participate, etc. but it wasn't sourced so not sure about that.  I'd take Don's word over Sox and Company, something they never understood, or maybe they did and they thought he was a threat.  I think the real reason is they hate it whenever he has been mentioned before that he gets a huge ovation.  There's some real jealousy or something there. 

markj

The Globe (owned by John Henry, of course) claims it was just miscommunication. It's behind a paywall, but if you use a different browser than you normally use, you can probably read it. I'll fire up Safari, which I never use, and dump all the cookies. Then I can read one or two articles free.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/21/sports/heres-why-don-orsillo-wasnt-part-jerry-remy-tribute/?p1=HP_Feed_ContentQuery&p1=HP_TrendingBar

elktonnick

Let's face it firing Orsillo was a huge mistake and Nesn knows it.  The program director who allegedly proposed replacing Orsillo himself was dumped two years later.  Unfortunately Henry has a terrible track record of mishandling personnel issues.  His personality is such that he just misunderstands the PR backlash some of his moves cause.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 21, 2022, 12:41:03 PM
I saw something where the Sox said they wanted him to participate, etc. but it wasn't sourced so not sure about that.  I'd take Don's word over Sox and Company, something they never understood, or maybe they did and they thought he was a threat.  I think the real reason is they hate it whenever he has been mentioned before that he gets a huge ovation.  There's some real jealousy or something there.

It was mentioned recently on another missive that Prune Face has little if any people skills, and from everything I've heard and read of him, he also has very  thin skin and rails at people when he is criticized.  So if this is all true, why should any of us be surprised.  Most fans loved Don Orsillo; can we can we say the same thing concerning the fans feeling for Dave O'Brien, who is he isn't boring us with useless detail is putting most of the fans to sleep.  And please don't wait for Henry to issue a mea culpa.  He won't; he will just ensconce himself on his  yacht and sample his win and cheese before putting more of his money in business ventures while allowing the team to stagnate because he didn't want to follow up the Story signing by doubling down and getting us a couple of solid starting pitchers and another big bat.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 21, 2022, 05:57:10 PM
Let's face it firing Orsillo was a huge mistake and Nesn knows it.  The program director who allegedly proposed replacing Orsillo himself was dumped two years later.  Unfortunately Henry has a terrible track record of mishandling personnel issues.  His personality is such that he just misunderstands the PR backlash some of his moves cause.

Elk, you want to get strong backup for your comments here that you are right on the mark?  Answer me this:  Do you know of any owner who has won FOUR Championships in any sport that is as unpopular with his community as Henry is?  I don't know of any.  He is not a people person and has rotten personal skills in handling that weakness.

elktonnick

Fred, he not only is unpopular here but also in England.  When I was in grade school, my mother had a name for people like Henry.  She would say he is a "drip".  You never hear that expression today.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 21, 2022, 06:18:34 PM
Fred, he not only is unpopular here but also in England.  When I was in grade school, my mother had a name for people like Henry.  She would say he is a "drip".  You never hear that expression today.

Hell Elk, we used to use that term many many decades ago when I was a teenager.  And, no, it most certainly was not a term of endearment.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on April 21, 2022, 06:18:34 PM

My Mom used to use the same word!  It fits.