Main Menu

Minor League News?

Started by MongoLikeSox, April 13, 2022, 07:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

An interesting late bloomer? Sometimes it takes a while, right? Another ex-Yankees farmhand we got off of waivers last Winter. 28 years old. 39th round pick out of college named Brian Keller. I think he got hurt in 2019 and returned later in 2021. Made a decent climb through the ranks until that, though.

Anyhow, bad start this year, but he's taken an ERA of 6.04 at the end of May down to 3.30 as of last night. June and July ERA's of 2.08 and 1.23 and started August with 6IP, 1R, 2H and 10K. I'd say he's back on track.

One other note. Worcester has turned over a lot of late-game duties to the hard throwing ex-Yankee farmhand, Frank German. Dominated in Portland, but struggled in Worcester for the 1st month before settling down in July. Struck out 17 in 10 innings. Gave up a 2-run HR in July 3rd and nothing since except 2 hits and 7 walks in the last 9.1 IP. The walks & overall control is the hold up.  56% strike rate. Yikes! 

Sea Dog 23

If we were in a desparate need of a 2B, like Tampa shuffles 35 players at times, Valdez the kid in the Houston deal has had a good week at Worcester.  A homer (seco nd this week), walk and 4 rbi's on Friday.  Likely won't happen unless Story is lost for the year and Arroyo  gets dinged up.  Valdez might well be a good depth piece next year if he keeps raking.

Like Mongo noted, there are some promising arms at Worcester.  Keller, German who we’ll need in the next 30 games.  They’re hinting Strohm, Paxton and Sale won’t be ready until Sept. Lots of innings to eat waiting for help.

MongoLikeSox

Speaking of German, he actually pitched two innings sans walk last night. Struck out 4 no hits, no runs. Of course, Seabold struck out 5 in 3-1/3, so who knows how much that matters. Still looks impressive, though. I imagine we'll see German next month as one of the two call ups. At times, at least.

So, with Valdez being Blooms latest save-my-job political player, I imagine he's someone we'll see soon along with Franchy, Act IV. I've not seen Valdez play yet, but the numbers are there for the utility role.

I can imagine Rafaela in a similar role as well, but he's going to be minced meat for MLB pitchers until he gains some command of the strike zone. Hamilton, who's up to 50SB, and Rafaela could benefit from the example Abreu is setting now. He took the lead off spot last night for Portland. In 4 games, he's 3 for 11 with 6BBs. That gives him 84BBs on the year in 93 games. Oh, and he's said to have a plus arm. I've not seen him play. 

For reference, Abreu's BB numbers are slightly better than Youk's BB numbers were in the minors. Abreu is also 23 for 24 in the SB department this season. Power numbers coming out of the pandemic? 16 HRs in 82 games, and 15 HRs in 93 games. On paper, this is an old school Red Sox hitter.

I can see why Bloom liked these kids - on paper, at least.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 07, 2022, 09:28:11 AM
Speaking of German, he actually pitched two innings sans walk last night. Struck out 4 no hits, no runs. Of course, Seabold struck out 5 in 3-1/3, so who knows how much that matters. Still looks impressive, though. I imagine we'll see German next month as one of the two call ups. At times, at least.

So, with Valdez being Blooms latest save-my-job political player, I imagine he's someone we'll see soon along with Franchy, Act IV. I've not seen Valdez play yet, but the numbers are there for the utility role.

I can imagine Rafaela in a similar role as well, but he's going to be minced meat for MLB pitchers until he gains some command of the strike zone. Hamilton, who's up to 50SB, and Rafaela could benefit from the example Abreu is setting now. He took the lead off spot last night for Portland. In 4 games, he's 3 for 11 with 6BBs. That gives him 84BBs on the year in 93 games. Oh, and he's said to have a plus arm. I've not seen him play. 

For reference, Abreu's BB numbers are slightly better than Youk's BB numbers were in the minors. Abreu is also 23 for 24 in the SB department this season. Power numbers coming out of the pandemic? 16 HRs in 82 games, and 15 HRs in 93 games. On paper, this is an old school Red Sox hitter.

I can see why Bloom liked these kids - on paper, at least.

Time to reshuffle the chairs on the Titanic and bring up the next round of duds.  There is a difference between the minor leagues and the Bigs, and it is up to scouts and baseball personnel at the Big League level to be able to judge that talent------an ability that those in our organization are completely bogus on.  Like Darwizon Hernandez!!!!  How many times has he been up?  How many times has be failed miserably?  How many times are we going to have to stomach French Cordero, a failure with KC and San Diego and a two time failure with us and a third one on the way.  It is time to clean house starting with Bloomer Boy and a full frontal assault by the press on John Henry, a notorious lightweight who has trouble dealing with criticism.  The team is putrid from the head down and drastic action must be taken at the end of the season on all fronts or 2023 could be an even worse season for us than this shit show has been.  Any one for six last place finished in  12 years?????

MongoLikeSox

Fred, I'm still envious of your trip to Cooperstown. I hope to be able to make that trip again some day. I still kick myself in the butt for not going to HOF games when they had them. The reason for not going was because one of my classmates told me that Willie Stargell hit a HR in one recent game and didn't even bother to round the bases. I could have gone at least once.

Imagine being a player in their system that is not amongst the chosen ones? No thanks!

Mayer and Blaze Jordon got promoted to Greenville. Both hitting .286, IIRC. They'll be playing with Kavedis, who's been as hot as anyone in the system this past month. Might have to switch on a couple of their games the next few weeks.

MongoLikeSox

Some pitching rebounding this week from some of the higher ranked arms in the system.

Wikelman Gonzalez was sitting on a 5.23 ERA in Salem entering August, which included a 7.07 July. His August ERA is 1.69, which includes a 6-inning effort 0R, 0h, 1BB game last night.

Bryan Mata ended a rough 3-game stretch of 14 innings, 9 Runs, 11 Hits and 11BB's. The other night he through 6 scoreless on 5 hits and no walks.

Thad Ward (the other big prospect recovering from TJ) threw 5 innings 0 runs, 3 hits and 2 BB's. Last week he threw 3.2 IP of scoreless ball, but walked 5 guys while throwing 67 pitches and only 34 strikes. It does look like they are stretching him out, increasing pitch count now to 75 pitches.

Brian Keller's 2nd half rebound is still rolling. Since converting back to full time starter, he's pitched 7 games, 34 innings, 4 ER, 1.06 ERA, .175 opp BA and 47 K's. The only blemish is 16 BB's in those 34 innings. He's now 28 years old. Makes you wish he could get a shot. Roster's chocked full, though. 

Sea Dog 23

The (distant) future of the Sox in the 2022 draft are playing in the Florida League. 10 players activated over the weekend. The top picks have already been playing, Mikey Romero at SS, Cutter Coffey at 2B, LF RomanAnthony,  C Brooks Brannon.

https://twitter.com/SoxProspects/status/1559191059892150277?s=20&t=VUd5E0e4O2mxzTXc9HhqtQ

longgame

Another "Cutter"?  He shouldn't be playign 2B!  ;D

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 09, 2022, 12:04:18 PM
Fred, I'm still envious of your trip to Cooperstown. I hope to be able to make that trip again some day. I still kick myself in the butt for not going to HOF games when they had them. The reason for not going was because one of my classmates told me that Willie Stargell hit a HR in one recent game and didn't even bother to round the bases. I could have gone at least once.

Imagine being a player in their system that is not amongst the chosen ones? No thanks!

Mayer and Blaze Jordon got promoted to Greenville. Both hitting .286, IIRC. They'll be playing with Kavedis, who's been as hot as anyone in the system this past month. Might have to switch on a couple of their games the next few weeks.

Just noticed your reply to me Mongo.  How the hell did I miss it.  Anyway, when you get the opportunity to go to Cooperstown for an Induction Ceremony, pleased do it.  You'll have  a great time, meet some nice people and soak in the baseball atmosphere.  Nothing like it.

longgame

I went there once, when I was about 13.  Other than the Hall which I remember pretty vividly, I also recall catching a glimpse of a Playboy magazine when my parents weren't looking!  ;)

MongoLikeSox

Longgame - If my 13 and your 13 are at all close, it's changed a ton since you've been. It's probably changed a ton since I've been. I know I've not been since at least 2007. Before that it gets fuzzy. Might be 3-5 years before that, even. Far too long.

Fred, I most certainly will if I ever get the chance again.

It's nit possible to do personally, but at one time there was a small company putting together "dream weeks"  for different age groups to go up and play baseball for a week. Couple days of practice and 4-5 games. One game on DD field. I would have liked to try it once. One of the guys I played 38+ ball with did it every year. He was pushing 50 at the time and was in some sort of low skill group up there. (It was very justified.)   

MongoLikeSox

Well, Keller fell out of his tree last night giving up 4 runs on 4 hits, 4 walks in 5 innings. I did watched some of it on the small screen. They had a camera angle straight behind the pitcher to catcher. He's got what Youk would call a slurve, and it was one helluva slurve when on. In typical Red Sox fashion, it was big as a grapefruit when he left it up and got hit hard. He had the kind of innings Seabold had when you knew he was in trouble when he went 1-2 on a guy. He battled, though. A pair of two run innings and that was that. Never folded.

I also saw Ward pitch some last night for Portland. It was tough to tell what he had. There was nothing smooth about any of it. He threw his 75 pitches with a 66% strike rate. 4-1/3 IP, 6 hits, 6K's, 1 walk and 2 runs. I could not really get a read on what he was good at. I'm going to make it a point to watch more of his next start if I can.

The infield of the future is starting to hit in Greenville.

Cordero has not played in 2 games since striking out 9 times in 13 ABs ending with Saturday's game.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 17, 2022, 07:09:41 AM
Well, Keller fell out of his tree last night giving up 4 runs on 4 hits, 4 walks in 5 innings. I did watched some of it on the small screen. They had a camera angle straight behind the pitcher to catcher. He's got what Youk would call a slurve, and it was one helluva slurve when on. In typical Red Sox fashion, it was big as a grapefruit when he left it up and got hit hard. He had the kind of innings Seabold had when you knew he was in trouble when he went 1-2 on a guy. He battled, though. A pair of two run innings and that was that. Never folded.

I also saw Ward pitch some last night for Portland. It was tough to tell what he had. There was nothing smooth about any of it. He threw his 75 pitches with a 66% strike rate. 4-1/3 IP, 6 hits, 6K's, 1 walk and 2 runs. I could not really get a read on what he was good at. I'm going to make it a point to watch more of his next start if I can.

The infield of the future is starting to hit in Greenville.

Cordero has not played in 2 games since striking out 9 times in 13 ABs ending with Saturday's game.

Mongo, I've read that the Sox pitching throughout the system is built on location and finesse.  They do not seem to sign many hard throwers with an out pitch.  Pivetta was hitting 94 on his fastball.  Nate was only throwing fastballs on 1/3 of his pitches in the last start (still injured?).  Only Whitlock, Crawford and Mata seem to have a greet fastball, Bello, if he can mix in  reliable off-speed.

Their draft this year was all college pitchers, none overpowering like a Rocker or Leiter.

MongoLikeSox

I've not seen any specific news on the subject, but Ceddanne Rafaela got hit in the hand a week ago and has not appeared in a game since. He is still listed as "Active", fwiw.

In other new that TC didn't mention last night, Brian Mata made his AAA start. 3 IP, 2H, 1R, 4BB. 73 pitches with only 41 strikes. Another rough promotion-debut for the Sox.

The next night, though, Conner Seabold rebounded from three VERY ugly outings with a 7-inning, 3H, 0R, 0BB and 7K while throwing 63 strikes in 93 pitches. 

Sea Dog 23

With Bloom trying to recreate a new roster for 23 (I feel like the Sox are an expansion team!) he's going to need a few new additions from AAA.  The projections show Casas, check.  But the others are Manny Valdez batting .180 and Downs at .190. Give me a break.