Sox give Devers lowball offer

Started by longgame, April 07, 2022, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Fred, I saw that, too. It struck me as early for that kind of article, but whatever. One could do worse. It did remind me of how Cashman sold off some of his team and got themselves back into the playoff hunt all in one 2-3 week stretch.

Sea Dog 23

There's some chatter today about the look of the '23 Sox with respect to the salary coming off from moving most of the top players from this year's lineup... in a salary dump.  I guess Sale, Devers, Verdugo may remain, with everyone else on a short shelf life.  FanGraphs has this year's salary at $236mil and projecting $108 for '23.  If Bloom is still drawing a paycheck in October he will have some decisions to make about promotions and FA's on the market.  Albeit the FA market will not be as glamorous as for this year's crop.

The promotions I've seen are Downs to SS, Casas to 1B (LH platoon) and maybe Wong to catcher.  The obvious FA targets will be an RF/LF RH slugger, 1B RH platoon, at least two Starting Pitchers,  and several top quality bull pen guys.  Ironically the spots they are looking to fill are the same ones that might have made the 22 Sox a contender.  But a moot point for a team on the bottom looking up.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on May 12, 2022, 07:52:06 AM
Next year we'll have a nice low payroll team except for Henry.  Of course nobody will watch, but the payroll will be low and that's all he seems to care about.

After this season become a total shipwreck the Boston and New England press will be hammering away at John Henry and he will either decide to throw in his cards and sell the team, OR,  be so angry and personally hurt by the debris falling on him that he will revert back to the owner he's supposed to be and lay it on the line and make the financial commitment, clean our the trash from the team and front office and do what he needs to do to get another World Series title in this decade.  I hope I'm not fooling myself with those words.

MongoLikeSox

Been a little bit of activity already. Arauz's rehab time is up and he got optioned to AAA. That effectively leaves the replacement on the big team for the time beaing. Also, Taylor is now on the 60-day IL, which clears a spot for someone not on the 40-man roster ATM. We have three relief pitchers not on the 40-man that are doing well in AAA.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 12, 2022, 03:01:32 PM
There's some chatter today about the look of the '23 Sox with respect to the salary coming off from moving most of the top players from this year's lineup... in a salary dump.  I guess Sale, Devers, Verdugo may remain, with everyone else on a short shelf life.  FanGraphs has this year's salary at $236mil and projecting $108 for '23.  If Bloom is still drawing a paycheck in October he will have some decisions to make about promotions and FA's on the market.  Albeit the FA market will not be as glamorous as for this year's crop.

The promotions I've seen are Downs to SS, Casas to 1B (LH platoon) and maybe Wong to catcher.  The obvious FA targets will be an RF/LF RH slugger, 1B RH platoon, at least two Starting Pitchers,  and several top quality bull pen guys.  Ironically the spots they are looking to fill are the same ones that might have made the 22 Sox a contender.  But a moot point for a team on the bottom looking up.

As long as they keep Story and if Bogaerts is gone then Downs will be at 2nd not short.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on May 12, 2022, 04:47:49 PM

As long as they keep Story and if Bogaerts is gone then Downs will be at 2nd not short.

elk,  I think the thinking I read,  was MGT  keeping Story at 2B to help mend his shoulder (if that is still an issue) and putting Downs at SS so he won't have to learn a new position at 2B.

But this organization is so convoluted, they are now giving Fitzgerald reps at 1B in Worcester (I guess if he spells Dalbec in the future or if Dalbec moves to RF).  A crazy year.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 12, 2022, 05:01:36 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on May 12, 2022, 04:47:49 PM

elk,  I think the thinking I read,  was MGT  keeping Story at 2B to help mend his shoulder (if that is still an issue) and putting Downs at SS so he won't have to learn a new position at 2B.

But this organization is so convoluted, they are now giving Fitzgerald reps at 1B in Worcester (I guess if he spells Dalbec in the future or if Dalbec moves to RF).  A crazy year.

It makes sense that Blooming idiot would try such tinkering.  Bloom obvious believes that any player can play any position.  He is wrong of course.  I believe in keeping it simple.  Play guys at their natural positions.  This constant tinkering usually doesn't end well.

Sea Dog 23

There's some more stuff relating to what Fred mentioned as to Cardinals new push for Bogey.  The trade piece is 2B/3B Nolan Gorman, their #2 prospect.  Batting .286, 13 hr in AAA this year, .661 slg, 1.008 OPS. The trade would be tied to Bogey's willing to sign a long term deal.
As a caveat Gorman is at a 33% K rate in AAA.

/mlbtraderumors, Jim Bowden

I'm not sure we need all that help at 2B/SS.  We have Story, Downs, Yorke, Hamilton, Mayer in the pipeline.  But we desperately need pitching, an OF, catcher.

MongoLikeSox

Sheeeesh! Another infield prospect to a system with a bunch of them.  iono

and a 33% K-rate to boot? Modern baseball is beginning to lose me.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 13, 2022, 06:36:48 AM

Need to find out the K to HR ratio!  ;)

But I'd think Bogey would be worth more than that.  Although imagine the disaster of moving the infield around again this season, while blocking developing guys coming up.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on May 13, 2022, 06:36:48 AM

And analytic moron like Bloomer Boy might just promote the wrong player from those positions, see them fail and lose the good ones to other teams.  The guy knows analytics but he knows shit about  talent.  The guy needs to go along with rotten filthy cheater after this season.   Then the gods of fate might finally be happy.  BTW, notice that other RFC managing Detroit, a team that has hit the skids after many were saying that this is a team on the rise.  Sometimes there is justice in baseball; though justice in our case is like a swift kick the family jewels.

MongoLikeSox

Speaking of AAA talent, I can see why some of you guys were high on Fitzgerald. I watched some of that Worcester game on my laptop with the big screen showing the 'Sox. He looks pretty good out there and at the plate. Limited observation of course.

Duran looking nervous and Duran looking confident are polar opposites as there is when you factor in the speed. Kind of like that once game he played up here a couple of weeks ago.