Main Menu

Sale saga

Started by Sea Dog 23, April 02, 2022, 05:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

His MRI came back and is really not conclusive, SOME HEALING.  The mood around camp is he himself will not be counted on to give the team an advantage this year.  Hoping that the coming of Paxson will give the Sox a lift (July?). Sox still have a lot of pitching depth and an ace in hand just might be Whitock.  He could give four innings as a spot starter and loves seeing pinstripes at the plate.

Chris Sale's MRI showed "some healing", according to Alex Cora. However, there is still no timetable for when he starts throwing. It will be symptom based.
4:12 PM · Apr 1, 2022

SeaBeachFred

Let's just make sure Sale is ready and not pushed into pit ching by the front office or an impatient Sale.  It didn't work all that well last season when the guy rushed himself. JUST MAKE DAMN SURE HE IS READY TO THROW LIGHTS OUT FOR US.

longgame

They said the upside was he was in good shape going into the injury so they hope it isn't too big of a setback when he's ready.  One good year out of the guy, but it was a great one.  But who thought the 150 pound 6' 4" guy would hold up?  It's one thing to be built like a boy when you're a teenager but this guy is a grown man and needs some muscle. 

longgame

Sale on 60 day DL. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on April 05, 2022, 01:24:51 PM
Sale on 60 day DL.
I don't know why this surprised me. It should not have.

Anyone know if a beginning of season 60-day DL is retroactive at all, or is it for the 60-days after opening day? I guess it probably does not matter one bit.

longgame

Mongo, I saw this.

A player who is placed on the MLB 60-day Injured List during Spring Training must spend at least the first 60 days of the MLB regular season on the Injured List (the player cannot be reinstated any earlier than the 61st day of the MLB regular season).

So no sooner than June.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 06, 2022, 07:57:27 AM
Mongo, I saw this.

A player who is placed on the MLB 60-day Injured List during Spring Training must spend at least the first 60 days of the MLB regular season on the Injured List (the player cannot be reinstated any earlier than the 61st day of the MLB regular season).

So no sooner than June.

Now do the RedSox make a 23rd Hour move and trade for a pitcher of some quality?  Because we really need one badly now.  We have guys like Downs, Cordero, Darwizon and others who the Red Sox still think are big prospects but aren't in the likes of Casas or Yorke and a couple of others so we have the tools to make a trade.......that is if the other teams consider our extra prospects good enough (which we probably do and they don't since we always seem to overhype our prospects.  Either way we cannot go into the regular season with two duds like Hill and Wacha holding forth as our fourth and fifth man in the rotation because that would be suicide.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 06, 2022, 05:46:16 PM
Mongo, I saw this.

So no sooner than June.

Now do the RedSox make a 23rd Hour move and trade for a pitcher of some quality?  Because we really need one badly now.  We have guys like Downs, Cordero, Darwizon and others who the Red Sox still think are big prospects but aren't in the likes of Casas or Yorke and a couple of others so we have the tools to make a trade.......that is if the other teams consider our extra prospects good enough (which we probably do and they don't since we always seem to overhype our prospects.  Either way we cannot go into the regular season with two duds like Hill and Wacha holding forth as our fourth and fifth man in the rotation because that would be suicide.

Everyone said the JBJ deal was for the prospects.  Let's use them. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 07, 2022, 12:25:22 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 06, 2022, 05:46:16 PM
Mongo, I saw this.

So no sooner than June.

Everyone said the JBJ deal was for the prospects.  Let's use them.

I never agreed that was what that deal was.  I'm  totally convinced that owner John Henry engineered that disgusting trade to b ring his pet canary back to the Red Sox even if kills us with another crappy season of hitting.

longgame

Cora said today the team has no closer and will try different guys.  There is no reason why a big market team starts the season without a key role filled.  Blooming idiot strikes again.

Sea Dog 23

For closer, I'd think Whitlock would get the job, considering Barnes fading.  But Cora is talking about pitching Hill with Whitlock as a tandem.  One short innings and the other (Whit) in long relief.  That would preclude Whit from pitching every day in relief, probably questionable for every other day at that role.

I think they like Strahm.  He has good velocity and can hit the zone from the few games I saw him.  But yes, they are skimping on getting a big hitting outfielder to replace Renfroe and the pitching moves look like they were seeking bargains last fall.

longgame

I think Stram will get a shot if they're ahead.  I think they're watching Crawford pretty closely too.  I think a lot of us are getting tired of the Jekyll and Hyde nature of Brasier and Barnes.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 07, 2022, 03:24:55 PM
Cora said today the team has no closer and will try different guys.  There is no reason why a big market team starts the season without a key role filled.  Blooming idiot strikes again.

Ted---they tried this same plan in 2003 and lot game after game in the early going because of it.  When they finally got one in the summer it was too late to catch the Yankees.  We lost the division, home field advantage to the Yankees in the 2003 ALCS and,  well, every Red Sox fan should remember how that turned out......How about AARON BOONE!!!!!