Main Menu

Free Agency$$$

Started by Sea Dog 23, March 10, 2022, 03:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Serious question, has Bloom ever signed a top free agent?  Probably not and he may be getting outplayed. 

Meanwhile there is this from Alex Speier: 

Sale: “I don’t have any idea” how long it will be before he can pitch in games. “The last couple years have sucked…What can you do?”

longgame

Schwarber signed with the Phillies.  He'll kill it in that park.

longgame

Quote from: longgame on March 16, 2022, 09:09:33 AM
Serious question, has Bloom ever signed a top free agent?  Probably not and he may be getting outplayed. 

Sale: “I don’t have any idea” how long it will be before he can pitch in games. “The last couple years have sucked…What can you do?”

Apparently the skinny guy who probably lost weight and muscle during his injury, broke his ribs.  Well we had one good season from him.

longgame

Chaim Bloom has spent more money on Jackie Bradley Jr than any other player during his entire three year stint as Red Sox Chief Baseball Officer.

longgame

Quote from: longgame on March 16, 2022, 09:18:40 AM
Quote from: longgame on March 16, 2022, 09:09:33 AM

Apparently the skinny guy who probably lost weight and muscle during his injury, broke his ribs.  Well we had one good season from him.

And by the way he's not vaxxed so he's at risk for more time out from sickness like when he had to stop his comeback last year. 

Sea Dog 23

The Sox adventures and misadventures are reaching the bizarre stage.  Freddie Freeman's agent is demanding every team bidding must cut their total player salaries to sign Freeman (to avoid a team hitting the CBT limit ?) We're spending a lot of time chasing 1B, unless FF is to be a DH, in which we  two or three of those. 

The primary needs are OF, 2B, some depth for the Sale injury.  Maybe they're holding bets that some combination of youngsters Seabold/Crawford/Winchowski can be spot starters.

Phils outbid everybody for LH OF Schwarber, getting 4/$79mil.  Rockies signed RH OF Kris Bryant for 7 yrs/ $27 mil AAV.

longgame

Freeman to the Dodgers.  Quite a contrast from the Sox.  Wish I could find the tweet, but Bloom said he doesn't think big free agents are a good idea.  The Dodgers, who will once again go deep in the postseason, disagree.  I can't get over how bad this guy is.

longgame

Baseball Boss Chaim Bloom today on whether #RedSox are behind in signing new roster talent: "When you start looking at it that way, that's when you get in trouble. The important thing is to focus on what you're doing…not to focus on what kind of splash you're able to make."

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on March 17, 2022, 08:51:04 AM
Freeman to the Dodgers.  Quite a contrast from the Sox.  Wish I could find the tweet, but Bloom said he doesn't think big free agents are a good idea.  The Dodgers, who will once again go deep in the postseason, disagree.  I can't get over how bad this guy is.

Right now Bloom is a total disaster and his only hope of ever getting out from under is for him and his cheap bastard of a boss is to undertake a full rebuilding job with hope that his good prospects develop within the next three years and we can become contenders again.  One thing is certain.  Prune Face is not only a cheap bastard but a damn lying one as well.  As I shouted yesterday and the day before any talk that we were serious about signing Freddie Freeman was bullshit at its worst.  With so many prospects being garnered by Bloomer Boy, he will have duplicates at many positions so the challenge becomes which ones playing the same position do the Red Sox choose.  Then if they pick the wrong guy for a certain spot and let the better one get away we are back to sq uare one and then nothing can save Bloom who is screwing up our team royally right now---with a big hand from the prune.

longgame

Fred, it seems the "strategy" is to get injured pitchers and stick them on the 60 day DL, or coddle guys like Sale who will miss at least the first month or two.  Meanwhile very talented ballplayers go to other teams.  I'm not hung up one player or the other, but I know this lineup needs someone to pitch around so teams end up making mistakes with guys like Bogey and Devers.  That's just modern baseball 101.  Who do you pitch around in the Dodgers' lineup? I just don't get the outfield - Verdugo is okay, he's no superstar but he's a dirt dog.  Kike is a 2B who plays a decent CF and JBJ can't make enough catches to make up for his abysmal hitting.

longgame

Bryant to Rockies.  He should thrive there.

Sea Dog 23

I think I've checked out of the Bloom the boy genius club.  He either has such a convoluted plan for free-agents that the red tape structure prevents him from pulling the trigger before another big market team gets the player.  OR, he is nickle and diming the field, managing like a smaller market franchise, looking for  patchwork, one-year contracts like in 2021.

IMO Sox really failed in hiring this guy, and on top of that Henry is in his head and he is acting really confused.  Lots of pitchers are on the mend.  Maybe they can get those arms healthy by July

Sea Dog 23

Next up, according to Jon Heyman, is Sox 'interest' in Nick Castelanos.  Good 2021 ,309avg, 34 homers, 100 rbi, .939 OPS.  A RF (bats RH) although erratic in the field.  Could DH in Boston.  Phils and Padres also looking.

It seems to me the Sox could also be maneuvering for a trade, with all the infielder prospects they have throughout their system.  They still need another pitcher with Sale, Paxton, Hill(?) nursing injuries.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 18, 2022, 10:26:14 AM
Next up, according to Jon Heyman, is Sox 'interest' in Nick Castelanos.  Good 2021 ,309avg, 34 homers, 100 rbi, .939 OPS.  A RF (bats RH) although erratic in the field.  Could DH in Boston.  Phils and Padres also looking.

It seems to me the Sox could also be maneuvering for a trade, with all the infielder prospects they have throughout their system.  They still need another pitcher with Sale, Paxton, Hill(?) nursing injuries.

We're not getting Castelanos; we are not getting Story; we are not getting Correa or anyone worth shit.  As for angling for a trade, we'll see just how smart a judge of talent Bloom is besides being a damn analytical crud.  Hey Bloomer Boy, here;s a message for you.  In any trade, you do not trade CASAS, YORKE OR MAYER AND IF YOU WANT I CAN THROW IN ANOTHER NAME OR TWO IF YOU WANT. 

Sea Dog 23

Fred, there’s some brouhaha today that Story is talking to Sox. Jason Carrabis has a pic that follows articles by Hayman and Rosenthal.  It could be going down another rabbit hole â€" again â€" but you’d think Bloom would get off the schnide by now.  Story does not have a lot of leveridge, an off year in 2021 and an elbow issue.  The Bogey/Scott Boras duo is gonna be a problem end of this year, whatever works out.

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1504923200756539399?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1504923200756539399%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.soxprospects.com%2Fthread%2F6103%2F2021-22-free-agents%3Fpage%3D98