Re: JDM probably opts out

Started by Sea Dog 23, November 01, 2021, 03:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on November 10, 2021, 07:44:31 AM
QuoteI hate to say this, but Bloom is looking more like warmed-over Tampa dealing than big market Cashman stuff.  I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the big deals when the new CBA is finalized.  But hope that Bloom acts more big market for stud FA pitchers than little Tampa.  But as his style he'll probably get starting pitchers from trades and relievers from the free-agent list.

Being seen as trying to do things on the cheap will hurt the Sox at the ticket office on TV.  I wonder why the geniuses up there don't understand that.

Because Henry, being the cheapskate that he is, almost won on the cheap this season coming within two games of getting into the World Series.  You are right about the ticket office and TV.  If Henry or Bloom decide to go this way again it is important for fans to not only buy tickets but barfcan watching them on TV.  If the team craters from this mode of building then it is important for the media and press to overwhelm the owner with catcalls and a hostile reception to his parsimonious ways. We do know that Henry does not take criticism very well and that may finally spur him to open his damn wallet and act like a big time owner of a major team.

Sea Dog 23

This week the Sox have cautiously penciled in Spring Training dates andadded four non-roster invitees.

pitchers Michael Feliz and Zack Kelly, and outfielders Rob Refsnyder and Christin Stewart.

Sea Dog 23

Bloom and his never-ending search for flexibility, worked out some nuances in the Paxton deal, just before the lockout.  Paxton ended up with some nice options as well.

"Boras and the Sox hammered out the framework of what the agent calls a “swellopt” deal: A one-year, $6 million deal that includes a two-year, $26 million team option for 2023-24 â€" reasonable numbers for both player and team should Paxton return midseason and, over the final months of the season, show mid-rotation potential by the end of 2022.

“The contract swells,” said Boras, who previously negotiated “swellopt” deals for free agent clients Zack Britton and Yusei Kikuchi. “He’s going to have to show durability for it to happen. He does it with the idea that he has an evaluation of what he’s worth without throwing [the $6 million salary for 2023]. Now if he goes out and throws well and he’s durable, that evaluation [of what he’s worth] is going to go up no matter what. For the player, in the back of his mind, he knows, ‘The key to me is not going out and throwing all these innings. The key for me is to throw optimally, efficiently, and healthily, so I can do one of two things â€" stay here for two years or go elsewhere.’ I don’t want the club to say, ‘I get to keep a guy for another year without a major commitment.’ "

According to the Globe, “If the Sox decline the two-year option, Paxton would have a one-year, $4 million player option for 2023.”

"The 33-year-old Paxton spent the 2019 and 2020 seasons with the Yankees. He went 15-6 with a 3.82 ERA in his first year in the Bronx, but made just five appearances the following season while battling back and arm problems. Paxton spent 2021 with the Seattle Mariners, but made just one start before having Tommy John surgery."

Sea Dog 23

The owners and players are ZOOMing today.  It's the first meeting on core issues since they locked out.  The owners are presenting a new plan with a few concessions tossed in.  Nothing new out of the ordinary, but the positive, they are meeting FWIW.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-bargaining-session

longgame

Saw an article earlier saying not much got done and they didn't discuss core issues.  Was an ESPN article but I can't find it now.

elktonnick

Looks like both sides are going no where. I wonder if ownership is prepared to sacrifice the season to break the union.

SeaBeachFred

Positions have seemed to harden if anything and I'm beginning to think we may wind up with a truncated schedule this coming season.  Neither side seems willing to give the other a shot at a deal that would satisfy both.  If the owners think that they are going to break the union they are mistaking.  Baseball doesn't have the scabs that football and basketball have, men who have walked through the picket line and to hell with their fellow union members.  The MLPA is a tough bunch and will play hardball but so will the owners in the hope they can at least wound the union in the eyes of the fans.  That may work for a time in my opinion during the late winter and spring mo n ths but if this goes into June the fans will be raging mad at the owners b ecause they will want their baseball making both sides in the crosshairs of the fans. Perhaps I'm a pessimist on these negotiations but I can' help believing that both sides want to win this battle.  Now prove me wrong the two of you and gets this done.

longgame

It just seems ridiculous to me that they can't continue to work under a system that has enriched both sides greatly until they work out a new arrangement.  Stupid tactics.

It just sucks that the fans and of course the minor leaguers and up and coming players are the only one who are hurt by this.  The owners and established players still have more money than they could ever spend.

elktonnick

Sea Dog 23

The Sox reported their international signings to date,  (lots of shortstops this year)

said:Jesse Sanchez has the bonuses for the 16 known signings:

Fraymi De Leon, SS, Dominican Republic -- $1,200,000
Freili Encarnacion, SS, Dominican Republic -- $1,100,000
Johanfran Garcia, C, Venezuela -- $850,000
Jancel Santana, SS, Dominican Republic -- $600,000
Natanael Yuten, CF, Dominican Republic -- $400,000
Franyer Noria, SS, Venezuela -- $265,000
Willian Colmenares, RHS, Venezuela -- $125,000
Yosander Asencio, SS, Dominican Republic -- $85,000
Marvin Alcantara, SS, Venezuela -- $30,000
Natanael Eusebio, CF, Dominican Republic -- $10,000
Dennis Reguillo, RHS, Dominican Republic -- $10,000
Yohander Linarez, SS, Venezuela -- $10,000
Denison Sanchez, RHS, Venezuela -- $10,000
Inmer Lobo, LHS, Venezuela -- $10,000
Luis Cohen, RHS, Venezuela -- $10,000
Darlyn De La Cruz, RHS, Dominican Republic -- $8,000

Sea Dog 23

An article on two Ss’s and one catcher in the signings, Freili Encarnacion, signed for $1.1 mil (ranked no. 19 on MLB's Top 50 int'l signing list)  catcher Johanfran Garcia, No. 34, for $850,000; and shortstop Fraymi De Leon, No. 50, for $1.2 million.

"Encarnacion projects to have plus power and already shows the ability to hit high and deep home runs. It helps that he has a disciplined approach at the plate and a good feel for the strike zone. He has shown the ability to spray the ball across the outfield, and he has a knack for squaring up the ball and driving it up the middle.

"On defense, the 16-year-old shows good hands, a plus arm potential and will have a chance to stay at shortstop. He could make the switch to third base if he outgrows the position."

(I have no idea why the writer reported the Red Sox signees, then later reported them as D-back signees)

https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-2022-international-prospects