Main Menu

Re: Tim Hyers

Started by Sea Dog 23, November 01, 2021, 07:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Last week, Goodwin the 1B coach was dismissed, probably because, reading between the lines, he refused the vaxx.

Over the weekend, the batting coach Tim Hyers "declined to accept offer to return to Sox" as written in The Globe.  Could be he was asked to, get the vaxx, change the techniques he was teaching for next season, but I don't know as the Globe is blocked in my house.

longgame

There are two ways to look at Hyers - macro level the Sox scored a lot of runs.  Micro level, they'd disappear for games on end, had a terrible plate discipline (except for about 6 games in October) and generally never seemed to have a team approach to hitting. 

Sox can do better.  I'd like to see a new pitching coach too who emphasizes throwing strikes, getting outs and going deep in games. 

Sea Dog 23

Boston Herald reports Peter Fatse, the Red Sox’ assistant hitting coach for the last two seasons, is expected to become the team’s new hitting coach. Fortunately, Fatse, a Hampden, Massachusetts native who’s been on the staff since the 2020 season, comes highly recommended by the man he’d be replacing.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 01, 2021, 12:00:40 PM

Boston Herald reports Peter Fatse, the Red Sox’ assistant hitting coach for the last two seasons, is expected to become the team’s new hitting coach. Fortunately, Fatse, a Hampden, Massachusetts native who’s been on the staff since the 2020 season, comes highly recommended by the man he’d be replacing.

Since the guy he's succeeding was no great shakes of a batting coach as witnessed by our poor pate discipline most of the season, I don't see much of this as much of a recommendation at all.  OTOH, we do need a pitching coach who emphasizes pounding the strike zone and to hell with the nibbling that killed our pitchers from going deep into  games this past season.  Plus, we need to do some serious house cleaning and trading if we want to be better next season.  We have too many dregs in our pitching and defense to allow this to occur next season.  I'll be waiting to see what the front office does and how much Henry is going to open his stingy wallet.