Main Menu

NLCS

Started by markj, October 16, 2021, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Braves with a Game 1 walkoff win. I like it. thumb_u

markj

Another walkoff win. What a greats series so far. Braves are stunning the Dodgers.

BoSoxFanNY

Braves walked off Game 2 in the bottom of the 9th inning AGAIN.
Braves 5 - Dodgers 4

longgame

Braves take two at home.  Now have to steal at least one in LA and wrap this up.

If Sox and Braves advance, Sox get homefield advantage. 

markj

Braves win again. Up 3-1 in the series.

longgame

Rosario is the Kike Hernandez of the NLCS, but unlike Kike, he hasn't packed it in yet.

markj

Wow, Atlanta got trounced. Have they lost their mojo, too? They'll have two chances in LA now, but it'll be tough.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: markj on October 21, 2021, 10:46:25 PM
Wow, Atlanta got trounced. Have they lost their mojo, too? They'll have two chances in LA now, but it'll be tough.

They are playing in Atlanta for Game 6
and if need be Game 7.

I am rooting for Atlanta!
Prefer that the Dodgers don't get a chance to defend their title.

longgame

Atlanta actually has two chances back at home.  They had home field as a division winner. 

If they and the Sox advance, Sox had a better record which is what matters in the World Series regardless of how you got there (sure beats having the ASG winner decide, or before that when it alternated.) 

The Braves remind me of the Sox in some ways in this series - feast or famine. I thought they'd take it to them after the Freeman homer in the first and then they went silent the rest of the night. 

markj

Oops, that's right, even though LAD had way more wins, they were the WC. Forgot about that. So maybe ATL can capitalize on their home field advantage.

Sea Dog 23

That lefty reliever, Matzek for the Bravos really has the touch.  Two clean innings, came in with RISP, 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Proceeds to put Ks on three batters, including Mookie on 12 pitches.  He returns the next inning and retires top of the order batters 2-3-4 on total six pitches. Dodger batters are 0-15 against Matzek with RISP this series.  Late innings relievers, in many respects, are the glue that holds it all together.

Matzek does all that, and costs Atlanta all of $600K.

longgame

Braves are a great example of how to fix a team via trade and make them a contender for the World Championship. 

Sea Dog 23

I see that old name Marwin Gonzalez made the WS roster for Houston.  They must have a situation just for him. sigh

Sea Dog 23

Game 1.  It was a game of interesting managerial moves, but I think the game was decided in the 1st inning.  The ump would not give Valdez the low strike call on his sinker.  When he had to elevate his pitches, the Bravos were ready with the big bats.

Was the ump a predominantly NL umpire?  I think there used to be thinking that the NL umps normally called a higher strike zone, where as the AL guys framed a lower zone.  I'm not sure if that is so evident these days.

longgame

Valdez is a real Jekyll and Hyde like E-Rod.  Nice to see them hit him hard.  I hope they leave the Astros in the dust.

Sucks about Morton but what a boss to come out and start the next inning!