ALCS GAME # 1 - FRIDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, October 15, 2021, 09:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

markj

markj

Sox pitching staff better figure and fix Sale's problems quickly or they're all done for the season.

longgame

Bullpen wasn't so great but I thought that they could score more than 5.  The two early GIDPs after getting the first guy on were tough.  Kike carried the team but it wasn't enough. 

I don't like Santana but clearly he was trying to do anything to get something going and throwing a few lefties in a row made sense.  Although as I said to a buddy of mine "freaking Shaw, you had one job!"

I've noticed that Scwarber runs real hot and cold.  Not so much streaky, just some games, like today, he looks lost at the plate and other days, he can't miss.

MongoLikeSox

Sounds like I fell asleep just in time. I missed most of 8th and all of the 9th. This game was another long one. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Think Baker will let us score 5 in an inning against one pitcher tomorrow? I think we're going to have to have a different sort of mojo going.

Sea Dog 23

Dang, the batting can only carry us so far when our starter can't carry his weight. And the batting kind of dried up.  I hope Sale gets it figured out by the Boston games, he can make a difference for us. 

Houck followed by Sawa was not the luck of the draw in this game.  Better pitching coming up tonight, and I think we'll have some good pen guys like Pivetta taking up the slack.  It's looking OK.  A win tonight going back to Boston will put us in great shape.  But we need to score some runs off their bullpen.

MongoLikeSox

Looks like I only missed the bottom of the 8th and the top of the 9th.

Vasquez is one of the reasons we are here in the ALCS. He was clutch in DC, obviously clutch in the post season so far. He's proven that this was his time of the game. I've not looked to see if he was something like 0-19 with 12Ks against the pitcher, but that is the only reason I would have him out of the game for a PH in the 8th.

I didn't like the use of Taylor. Wrong inning with what he had coming up, I thought. Thankfully Brasier bailed him out. I get what AC was trying to do - bridge to Houck for 3 and then Whitlock. It just didn't work out tonight. 

It looked like a lot of nerves with both our pitchers and our batters. 18 LOB. Kyle and XB have to do more than one doinker and a couple of walks. I'm sure there was more. JD got screwed over big time. But this one is out of the way. Calm down, do some hitting and finish some pitches and we'll be in it.

There is a massive silver lining to this series. If we lose, it will be to a hugely superior traditional hitting ball-club. Those things do not go unnoticed.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on October 15, 2021, 10:40:15 PM
Santana for Renfroe? Why would anyone put Santana in a game when there were alternatives?

Because Santana is one of Cora's favorites and it's like an itch Cora can't scratch.  He was determined to make that bum a part of this team in the post season.  You saw what the result was ---A BIG FAT "K"---and don't be surprised to see Alex do it again.