ALDS GAME # 3 - SUNDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2021 - TAMPA BAY RAYS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, October 10, 2021, 10:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Fantastic Sox win.  Once again Matt Vasgerian  proves himself to be the worst play by play guy in baseball and a complete fool.

BoSoxFanNY

WOW - what a GAME!

Thank you Christian Vasquez!
Thank you Nick Pivetta for 4 innings of pitching in relief
and gets the win!

Red Sox take a 2 - 1 Series Lead.

Schloicka

Was a very good outing for the pitching staff as a whole. Eovaldi did his job and the pen only gave up 2 runs in 8innings. Pivetta was excellent to say the least. I can't ask for much more.

MongoLikeSox

Gotta tip the hat to Cash for not letting the game get out of hand. I know they didn't have their preferred guns in the 9th, but his use of closers in the early innings reversed the 'Sox hot streak and stayed in the game long enough. A gutsy call, for sure, but it worked and they were almost rewarded.

Sp, the irony of Renfroe's play in RF off KK's bat is classic. He has zero coordination corralling a ball beneath his waste. We've seen it almost all year, as early as that Toronto series in Florida. So this time it happens and it saves a run. In a sense, it may have saved a season.

I don't know how we talk Devers into taming himself when his field-mate XB does not do it himself. Perhaps they should do this together. Kind of like a quit smoking pact.

Bill-806

WOW !!! ALL THE YEARS OF WATCHING/PLAYING BASEBALL & YA NEVAA KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING TO GET !!! WIN, WIN, WIN !!!! SCHWARBER IS A "CLUCKS" AROUND 1ST BASE , DEVERS IS JUST SCARY !!! SO , THAT ODD PLAY IN RIGHT FIELD, JUST CRAZY STUFF !!!!  TAMPA BAY CAN'T COMPLAIN AS PLAYING IN THE "DOME" IS A JOKE !!!  COME ON RED SOX , ONE MORE WIN TODAY !!! thumb_u thumb_u iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on October 10, 2021, 08:37:46 PM
Fantastic Sox win.  Once again Matt Vasgerian  proves himself to be the worst play by play guy in baseball and a complete fool.

You would think somebody would have said something in his ear. From the umpires after the game.
"“It's item 20 in the manual, which is, balls deflected out of play, which is in reference to official baseball Rule 5.06(b)(4)(H). It says, ‘If a fair ball not in flight is deflected by a fielder and goes out of play, the award is two bases from the time of the pitch.’”"
I'm guessing he was mixing up the rule book and moshing together some sort of throwing error or fan interference type of thing. Somewhere there is a ruling where the umps get to decide a base-runner's fate. It's not a ground rule double, though.

The part I did not know in real time was that the ruling of ground rule double stood if the umpire deems it as unintentional. I'm pretty sure we've seen one go off a glove into the seats near the Pesky Pole, though. All very interesting in a nerdy way.

Sea Dog 23

There are maybe a dozen or more key moments to cherish in this great Sox win.  One that I will remember that was not so critical, but more fluff, was Schwarber making a smooth play behind 1B and tossing to Nathan for the out.  Then applauding himself to the crowd for the play.  That was after he threw the ball over Nathan's head on an earlier play at 1B.  The guy could help to rally the Sox in a future game with his leadership.  Apparently he has already helped Dalbec in batting.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 11, 2021, 06:59:45 AM

You would think somebody would have said something in his ear. From the umpires after the game.
"“It's item 20 in the manual, which is, balls deflected out of play, which is in reference to official baseball Rule 5.06(b)(4)(H). It says, ‘If a fair ball not in flight is deflected by a fielder and goes out of play, the award is two bases from the time of the pitch.’”"
I'm guessing he was mixing up the rule book and moshing together some sort of throwing error or fan interference type of thing. Somewhere there is a ruling where the umps get to decide a base-runner's fate. It's not a ground rule double, though.

The part I did not know in real time was that the ruling of ground rule double stood if the umpire deems it as unintentional. I'm pretty sure we've seen one go off a glove into the seats near the Pesky Pole, though. All very interesting in a nerdy way.

The difference between a ball going off the glove and into the stands and this play is it hit the wall, which is the same as hitting the ground, and then hit the ground too.  It's also technically not a ground rule double because those are park specific.  This is a baseball rule. 

Vasgersian sounded as dumb as he and A-Rod both did a couple of weeks ago when they didn't understand the relief pitching rules.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 11, 2021, 07:49:36 AM
There are maybe a dozen or more key moments to cherish in this great Sox win.  One that I will remember that was not so critical, but more fluff, was Schwarber making a smooth play behind 1B and tossing to Nathan for the out.  Then applauding himself to the crowd for the play.  That was after he threw the ball over Nathan's head on an earlier play at 1B.  The guy could help to rally the Sox in a future game with his leadership.  Apparently he has already helped Dalbec in batting.

That was a great moment and the crowd was getting a little antsy, and maybe the team too, so the timing was perfect.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on October 11, 2021, 08:07:49 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 11, 2021, 06:59:45 AM

The difference between a ball going off the glove and into the stands and this play is it hit the wall, which is the same as hitting the ground, and then hit the ground too.  It's also technically not a ground rule double because those are park specific.  This is a baseball rule. 

Vasgersian sounded as dumb as he and A-Rod both did a couple of weeks ago when they didn't understand the relief pitching rules.
I know we've all seen the Canseco play revisited and repeated by many. The play in my mind was one that hit the ground and spun - but yes, totally agree with you.

elktonnick

Over the years I have seen many variations of that play down the right field line where the ball hits off the players glove hits the ground and then bounces into the stands or hits the ground bounces off the player into the stands.  It isn't as rare as clueless Vergersian makes out.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on October 11, 2021, 08:46:52 AM
Over the years I have seen many variations of that play down the right field line where the ball hits off the players glove hits the ground and then bounces into the stands or hits the ground bounces off the player into the stands.  It isn't as rare as clueless Vergersian makes out.
I guess it doesn't happen at Yankee Stadium?   rofl 

Sea Dog 23

A fantastic game in all respects, and what a starting point for many new baseball fans.  But alas, the networks (Fox) took it on themselves to drop the coverage before the epic moments even started.  Coverage was transferred to MLB Network.  So subscribers at least got to see the great drama.  But unfortunately only a limited number of new fans got to see all that.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 11, 2021, 09:13:59 AM
A fantastic game in all respects, and what a starting point for many new baseball fans.  But alas, the networks (Fox) took it on themselves to drop the coverage before the epic moments even started.  Coverage was transferred to MLB Network.  So subscribers at least got to see the great drama.  But unfortunately only a limited number of new fans got to see all that.

The game was on MLB, as scheduled and advertised, from start to finish.  Nobody dropped coverage.

longgame

ESPN doubles down on their erroneous reporting:

"Had the ball not bounced over the fence, Diaz would have easily scored. Instead, crew chief Sam Holbrook called the umpires back toward the infield and they made a decision: the ball would be ruled a ground-rule double and Diaz would need to return to third base. "

They make it sound like it was a subjective decision and that following the rules was a choice they could have made.