Quote from: markj on July 02, 2021, 08:26:18 AM
9:40PM Eastern

Red Sox

Eduardo Rodriguez (L)

Athletics

Frankie Montas (R)

Gametime Temp: 77°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

It would be swell if our team can get off to a good start on this seven game road trip with a victory over a team we've had some trouble with since 2019.  It would be even better if we could see the E-Rod we saw against the Yankess and the hitting we saw during most of the Royal series.  Right now we are in a position that very few, if any, of us surmised when the season opened and with American League teams beating up on each other regularly if we stay ahead of the others even with a moderate winning record over the next month we could be in decent shape heading into August.  Who knows though.  Right now we have little to complain about big time but a few minor things  that still irritate us, but I'd rather be where we are now than where the other clubs are in the AL East.

markj

Rays getting their butts handed to them again. This time by the Blue Jays. How the mighty have fallen.

markj

markj

Whitlock comes in and gets two quick outs, then gives up a dinger. Not sure why Cora pulled E-Rod, who was having a good outing and was only at 89 pitches.

markj

markj

markj

markj

Wow, they pulled it off. Kiki gets the game ball for that throw to home.

markj

Sea Dog 23

Sox mgt and Cora are getting close to stabilizing the outfield, a weak spot before the season.  They may never approach in the future the OF we had in the ‘18 WS year.  Kike’ is showing signs of comfort laying in CF.  LF and RF are seemingly all set for the second half. 

But with Kike’s exploits, he may have blocked the coming of Duran, unless Bloom can trade some guys in the logjam in OF and IF.  But a good problem to have instead of searching more free agents.

longgame

Nice win to pick it up in extras.  I have to admit that the new rule does change the dynamics of extra innings in a good way.

Cora engaged in some hyperbole last night saying these guys were as good as the 3 B's but none of them can cover ground the way that JBJ and Jackie did which made Beni that much better.  Kiki is an average CF at best.  Renfro has a great arm but doesn't necessarily get good breaks on the ball.  Verdugo is solid but I wouldn't say outstanding.  That being said, they have been playing well and the key to this team remains the core of that lineup which only needs a little more help.

On the front, they'd be fine in bringing up Duran now and moving Kiki to 2B.  I imagine they wouldn't play Duran every day to start anyhow and that raises the concern that his time will come at the expense of Verdugo or Renfro.  But I'd like to see what the kid can do.  I guess he was selected for the Olympic team but the Sox wanted to be able to recall him if needed and they couldn't come to an agreement on it. I think other clubs have done the same as there is some turnover in the Olympic roster.

E-Rod with his best outing in ages.  I think they pulled him to get him out with no runs and the lead and let him bask in a good night.  Strange of our bullpen to give up two dingers.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on July 02, 2021, 11:20:54 PM
Dammit. Meatball Matt blows the save.

I have always said that Banes is very SHAKY TRYING TO PROTECT A ONE RUN LEAD AND HE SEEMS TO BE REVERTING BACK TO THAT SOME OF THE TIME.  WITH TWO RUNS IN THE BLACK HE IS PRETTY DARN GOOD, BUT WE NEED HIM TO BECOME MIGHTY WITH THAT ONE RUN DIFFERENCE.  HE COST E=ROD ANOTHER WIN AS HE DID A 20 GAME SEASON IN 2019 BECAUSE HE COULDN'T CLOSE THE GAP.  BUT WE DID COME BACK AND WIN THE GAME WITH SOME TOUGH CLUTCH BALLPLAYING IN THE TENTH.  THANKS KIKI.