GAME #35, TUESDAY, MAY 8, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Bear, May 07, 2018, 12:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

markj

Over. Closer game than I thought it would be. Pom did ok except against Stanton.

Schloicka

Overall the pitching was fine. Held them to 3. Don't win many scoring only 2 runs. Hopefully better offense tomorrow.

elktonnick

You have to give Pomerantz credit for toughing it out.  Hembree 's balk ultimately cost them the game.

Apart from that, it is impossible to defend Cora for starting Bradley or letting him bat in the 9th.  Bradley is totally lost at the plate.  Did he even foul one off?

SeaBeachFred

Hard to fathom just what's going on in Cora's addled brain with respect  to his boy Bradley.  Tonight was  the nadir for this bum in a season that has been one nadir for Bradley after another.  He simply sucks and who knows how the game would have turned if Moreland had been in the lineup instead of the shitheeler Jackie.  Either Cora is just plain stupid or he is under orders from above to keep playing Bradley.  And to what end???? He is not going to hit; he has regressed even past his shitty rookie year of 2014 and his presence might have cost us the game tonight.  You think any other contending team would sit a 340 hitter with power to play a total turd hitting under 175???????   Cora?????  Up your rotten ass you stupid bastard.

BoSoxFanNY

Bottom line - we lost.

Must admit Pomeranz pitched much better than I thought.
2 solo home runs to Stanton.

WISH that Mookie had run home on Benintendi's double that scored Nunez for
run #2.

The teams were evenly matched tonight -
Yankees found a way with help from umpire with balk to win.

ipot

Pom did an excellent job.  Unfortunately our offense is starting to become Mookie and 1 or 2 other guys. 

Why Cora let BADley and/or Vaz to hit in the 9th is beyond me.  You could at least pinch hit for one of them. 

BADley is so awful it's painful to watch.  We're parading an NL 8-hitter lineup there; Pomeranz could've done better hitting in the 9 hole if Vaz moved up to 8.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on May 08, 2018, 11:04:26 PM
Pom did an excellent job.  Unfortunately our offense is starting to become Mookie and 1 or 2 other guys. 

Why Cora let BADley and/or Vaz to hit in the 9th is beyond me.  You could at least pinch hit for one of them. 

BADley is so awful it's painful to watch.  We're parading an NL 8-hitter lineup there; Pomeranz could've done better hitting in the 9 hole if Vaz moved up to 8.
CONCUR....  The bottom of lineup is killing us.......Watching HAN/RAM at first is scary too...... MORELAND sitting the bench in YANK$ STADIUM does not make sense ??? iono iono

Rob from Mass

The 16-2 start seems like a distant memory and now Coras led team is 9-8 since then. Is he capable of turning this around? Miracles do happen. His foolishness of keeping pitchers and players fresh for October should be dismissed. Maybe he meant fresh for vacations with families. Wondering if he has looked around and seen if other managers did the unthinkable of benching a hot player for a scheduled day off. He is a certified quack.

Rob from Mass

BADley is so awful it's painful to watch.
Ipot said it all with this line.

Bear

GIVE BADLEY TIME TO WARMUP.
WE HAVE TO BE FAIR ABOUT THIS PLAYER.
;D

longgame

They need to get some life in this team.  Elk mentioned JBJ's long swing, look at Beni's, he has the same problem.  I'm also amazed at how many Sox batters are swinging at crap that is in the dirt.  Don't they review video on these guys?  They need to be able to pick up balls that start out of the zone and end up further out of the zone, rather than swing at them.

Interesting stat the other night on MLB - the number of at bats that end up with no batted ball in play - K's, BBs and HRs - is up to 40%.  It was 20% some years ago.  The bottom line is that without balls put in play, there's not a lot happening in a ball game anymore.  In a well pitched game that number is likely over 50%.  So half the time, often after 6 or 8 pitches, a ball is put in play. 

Another thing on the Sox I noticed is that some guys seem to have gone from never swinging at a first pitch to always swinging at one and in fact swinging for the fences assuming it will be a fastball.  Teams appear to know this.

BoSoxFanNY

AND during the Sox long winning streak -
it was the long ball that won the games.

They seem to all be swinging for the fences instead
of simply trying to manufacture runs.