GAME #135 - WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by markj, September 01, 2021, 10:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

We came from a small deficit and pulled it out with some clutch hitting (for a change) and good relief pitching.  I'm pleased about the win but not fooled.  This team seems to be is disarray and no matter what I keep hearing the opinion I have is that some of our players did NOT get vaccinated this season.  Also it was Carlos Feebles who blew the duke by sending Vazquez in.  Christian, a notorious miserable base runner, gets a pass on this one blunder.

elktonnick

Feebles coaching blunder is just the latest and obvious example that team has a coaching problem.IMHO.

Sea Dog 23

The win is about as Utopia as you can get in this weird season. Great start by your ace, great relief from Whit and Otto and the new guy Duran finding out how to get the big hit in MLB.  There is a problem, who is left to pitch Thurs, and we used all of our good bull pen guys this game.  Maybe Cora can figure it all out.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 02, 2021, 05:38:26 AM
The win is about as Utopia as you can get in this weird season. Great start by your ace, great relief from Whit and Otto and the new guy Duran finding out how to get the big hit in MLB.  There is a problem, who is left to pitch Thurs, and we used all of our good bull pen guys this game.  Maybe Cora can figure it all out.
One of the beauties of baseball, for me, is the any single night all the needed performances can happen.
Feebles! Pffffftttt!

So, someone please tell me that it's not simply team control that is keeping Feltman out of consideration. He's had himself a nice promotion to Worcester, especially when considering his 1st appearance in July was an implosion. He's been making 2-inning appearances, too. I understand the need to eat innings, though, which is why we brought up who we did.

Anyone know the status of Richards these days?

I really wish Cora would not burn out Valdez so readily.

Bill-806

PINCH me , "WOKE" this morning to see that the SOX WON 3-2 ????  Great stuff !! With so many players out ???  As DAD would say , "SON, ya can only put 9 players on the field at once & that goes for both teams" !!!!! thumb_u thumb_u iono iono rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 02, 2021, 06:47:18 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 02, 2021, 05:38:26 AM
One of the beauties of baseball, for me, is the any single night all the needed performances can happen.
Feebles! Pffffftttt!

So, someone please tell me that it's not simply team control that is keeping Feltman out of consideration. He's had himself a nice promotion to Worcester, especially when considering his 1st appearance in July was an implosion. He's been making 2-inning appearances, too. I understand the need to eat innings, though, which is why we brought up who we did.

Anyone know the status of Richards these days?

I really wish Cora would not burn out Valdez so readily.

Mongo, maybe I’m wrong but I think Bloom is doing two other projects right now for pitching. He’s trying to get the best pitchers that are available, key word, for each series. And at the same time trying to put a value on ten or so starter/bull pen guys for the off-season, protect or release from the 40 man. 

I’d say Crawford, Seabold, Ort, Winchowski(?), Feltman(?), will be protected.  Those he’s tried last two weeks don’t hold much value, except Whitlock, Otto, Taylor.  Anybody else? Not sure how that translates to beating Rays and  NYY.

longgame

Take the win and move on.  Any chance they can win again tonight?  E-Rod goes so we know the bullpen will be in heavy use tonight.

MongoLikeSox

Yes, that is a whole other issue. protecting guys who did not have a year of development to match the seniority. It should be an interesting rule-5 draft this off season. Even the next 1 or 2 after that.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 02, 2021, 08:05:36 AM
Take the win and move on.  Any chance they can win again tonight?  E-Rod goes so we know the bullpen will be in heavy use tonight.

I'm getting a little tired of imploring Rodriguez to finally stand up and go out there and pitch a real quality game for us.  It seems to always fall on deaf ears and either the guy is not fully recovered from the physical scare he had last season or his talent level has taken a deep dive this year.  Or is he just one of those guys who is going to under-achieve and disappoint.  We've seen those kind before so it wouldn't go down as a surprise.  Let me put it this way.  Would anyone out there want to bet one year off his life that this time ER will actually win tonight.  I sure as hell know I wouldn't do it.